Vali 2 tube rolling
Jun 13, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,776 of 6,436
I just got the 7n7 Philco Lansdale tubes and I will check them out tomorrow. I am more likely to use them in a Freya + but I will try them in the Vali 2 as well. Thanks for the tip on those tubes guys.

Time to look for replacements for 6sn7's perhaps, I have not tried that a lot yet. I have done this with the Vali 2 so I guess I could quadruple the fun.

9743148.png

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2,777 of 6,436
I just got the 7n7 Philco Lansdale tubes and I will check them out tomorrow. I am more likely to use them in a Freya + but I will try them in the Vali 2 as well. Thanks for the tip on those tubes guys.

Time to look for replacements for 6sn7's perhaps, I have not tried that a lot yet. I have done this with the Vali 2 so I guess I could quadruple the fun.

9743148.png

Be sure to give those Lansdales 100 hours of break in before you listen.

:grinning: Just kidding. They sound pretty good right off the bat.

Jun 13, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #2,778 of 6,436
Jun 13, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #2,779 of 6,436
You're welcome. :laughing:

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #2,780 of 6,436
Be sure to give those Lansdales 100 hours of break in before you listen.

:grinning: Just kidding. They sound pretty good right off the bat.
Yeah yeah, bla bla bla, whatever you say Bill. This will be the first tube I have ever listened to so your advice is certainly crucial. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously though, I may have to look around for adapters that fit inside the openings in the Freya. I have had it like four days and I hate to start grinding and cutting on the case just in case I have to send it back for warranty. I believe it is called plausible deniability, not that I have ever had a reason to know that term in the past. I would try to grind down the adapter outsides but bakelite is not that pleasant smelling when it gets hot. Tray acrylic can be worse, I have some horror stories about that.

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #2,781 of 6,436
Geeez Ripper. I was trying to be nice and not make @Old Deaf Donkey feel all that bad. Way to rain on the parade...
Now, come on. I have a thick skin. Wait if these ribbed Fotons do not sound better, than non-ribbed, and the money is wasted. :japanese_ogre:Then we'll see.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #2,782 of 6,436
Now, come on. I have a thick skin. Wait if these ribbed Fotons do not sound better, than non-ribbed, and the money is wasted. :japanese_ogre:Then we'll see.

Depends on what year you are comparing them to. If you're comparing to another 50's vintage, then yes they do sound better, but it's not like a revelation where the clouds part and the gates to heaven open before you. If you're comparing to a 60's vintage, then those clouds will start parting, and the gates begin opening around '62 and go wide open starting in '65. :relaxed: I believe 1956 was the last year of the ribbed plates (through '55 for sure, but I don't have any '56's to verify). 1957 - 1959 had the non-ribbed plates, and then something went all to hell in 1960 and got worse as time progressed.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #2,783 of 6,436
Yeah yeah, bla bla bla, whatever you say Bill. This will be the first tube I have ever listened to so your advice is certainly crucial. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Always glad to help. Tom. If I'm not available and it's something relatively simple, @Ripper2860 might be able to help too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #2,784 of 6,436
Thanks, Bill.

Here you go, Tom (and others)

Ripper's Tips:

1. Make sure it's powered ON.
2. If it's ON and not working as expected, power it OFF and then back ON.
3. If issues persist, repeat steps 1 and 2 above.

OK. Now that I've dispensed this invaluable knowledge, I feel a bit tired. Time for a nap.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2,785 of 6,436
Thanks, Bill.

Here you go, Tom (and others)

Ripper's Tips:

1. Make sure it's powered ON.
2. If it's ON and not working as expected, power it OFF and then back ON.
3. If issues persist, repeat steps 1 and 2 above.

OK. Now that I've dispensed this invaluable knowledge, I feel a bit tired. Time for a nap.

Wow. Nice! Question though: how many times should step 3 be performed before seeking knowledgeable help? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2,786 of 6,436
Duh!! Until it fails to power ON as required in step 1, of course. Geez, Bill -- get with the program!! :rolling_eyes:

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #2,787 of 6,436
Always glad to help. Tom. If I'm not available and it's something relatively simple, @Ripper2860 might be able to help too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I will definitely take your advice on the ribbed Fotons because I do not want to buy two decades worth of them to see which ones sound different lol. Same holds true for Frankie tubes, I have a life and I cannot spend my time ruminating over such things.

My life revolves around my turning wood and solder and copper into 17 year old bottles of single malt scotch. I believe it was Maxwell Maltz who said something along the lines of, you can only be truly happy when you are working towards a goal. My goals are well defined, and very simple.:smile_phones:

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,788 of 6,436
Depends on what year you are comparing them to. If you're comparing to another 50's vintage, then yes they do sound better, but it's not like a revelation where the clouds part and the gates to heaven open before you. If you're comparing to a 60's vintage, then those clouds will start parting, and the gates begin opening around '62 and go wide open starting in '65. :relaxed: I believe 1956 was the last year of the ribbed plates (through '55 for sure, but I don't have any '56's to verify). 1957 - 1959 had the non-ribbed plates, and then something went all to hell in 1960 and got worse as time progressed.
Have 1957. Bought 1951

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #2,789 of 6,436
Duh!! Until it fails to power ON as required in step 1, of course. Geez, Bill -- get with the program!! :rolling_eyes:
what if it fails powering ON in step 1?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,790 of 6,436
Watch some old Matlock re-runs and try again later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back