Vali 2 tube rolling
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,746 of 6,436
Finished the modification to the cover of my b-stock Vali tonight. No socket saver needed here! :)

Beautiful! Very nice. Now all you need is a 6J5 or 7A4 adapter. :relaxed:

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #2,748 of 6,436
Oh boy, more adapter madness! So far I'm happy with the sound of the new Tung-Sol tube.

Very nice work indeed. The single triode tubes (6j5 and 7a4) offer better separation IMHO but as far as overall SQ, there are many fine 6sn7's out there as well. I am more curious than anything about some of the past tubes that were compatible with them so I have tried any compatible combination I could lay my hands on. I am not sure I recommend that path but it never hurts to know all of your options. :smile_phones:

Jun 11, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,749 of 6,436
Jun 11, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,750 of 6,436

For over a year I avoided a different tube with adapter in an amp I built, someone on here kept suggesting 6sn7's instead of 12Au7's, I kept saying no. Finally he sent me a vintage RCA grey glass from 1942 with adapter, as a gift. I have been hooked on that type of tube ever since and all but one of my tube amps has one variation over another. Till you hear something, it is a little hard to know what you are missing. :ksc75smile:

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,751 of 6,436
Jun 11, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #2,752 of 6,436
Finished the modification to the cover of my b-stock Vali tonight. No socket saver needed here! :)

Holy carp. You are the reamer-master (uh, that's a sleazy double meaning). Its edges are nice and clean. The air vents didn't warp. Dremel-master. You're that. Nice, eh. :)
thor_tools.png

Jun 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,753 of 6,436
Jun 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #2,754 of 6,436
Holy carp. You are the reamer-master (uh, that's a sleazy double meaning). Its edges are nice and clean. The air vents didn't warp. Dremel-master. You're that. Nice, eh. :)

Thanks everyone, it was a lot of work with a Dremel with drill press accessory. I'm sure there are faster ways to do it. I used a circle template to draw a 1.5 inch diameter circle on the underside of the cover, then drilled a series of small connecting holes to remove most of the waste. Finished with the sanding drum and slowly worked to the line. It's not perfect, but I'm pleased with the result.

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,755 of 6,436
Thanks everyone, it was a lot of work with a Dremel with drill press accessory. I'm sure there are faster ways to do it. I used a circle template to draw a 1.5 inch diameter circle on the underside of the cover, then drilled a series of small connecting holes to remove most of the waste. Finished with the sanding drum and slowly worked to the line. It's not perfect, but I'm pleased with the result.
Looks good from here. :wink:. As popular as the 6sn7 rolling appears to be, Schiit should make these modified covers available. But of course, make them look like the stock one, only with the bigger hole.

Jun 11, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2,756 of 6,436
Looks good from here. :wink:. As popular as the 6sn7 rolling appears to be, Schiit should make these modified covers available. But of course, make them look like the stock one, only with the bigger hole.
I'd like that option. :ksc75smile:
Mind you, @Jason Stoddard commented on an older posting about having to be very careful about air vent placement, the number and diameter of holes (and I'm assuming offering chassis modifications). I can't find the exact post, but it was about how air vents are governed by either CSA-, UL-, CE-, EU- , or USA- electrical safety certification. Some ding dong will find a way to slip their fingertips in the larger gap and grope the main board (unlike my Valhalla, I gather the voltages on the Vali are ~60V). :triportsad:
Ah well. If I wanted that feature, I'd have to pick up a Lyr-3 without any extra expansion card (I suspect the sticker covering the expansion port actually has a metal plate under it... or the sticker's tamper-resistant... to prevent ding dongs [see above] from groping the main board). :point_left::point_left::zap::zap::zap:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #2,757 of 6,436
Mind you, @Jason Stoddard commented on an older posting about having to be very careful about air vent placement, the number and diameter of holes (and I'm assuming offering chassis modifications). I can't find the exact post, but it was about how air vents are governed by either CSA-, UL-, CE-, EU- , or USA- electrical safety certification. Some ding dong will find a way to slip their fingertips in the larger gap and grope the main board (unlike my Valhalla, I gather the voltages on the Vali are ~60V). :triportsad:
Ah well. If I wanted that feature, I'd have to pick up a Lyr-3 without any extra expansion card (I suspect the sticker covering the expansion port actually has a metal plate under it... or the sticker's tamper-resistant... to prevent ding dongs [see above] from groping the main board). :point_left::point_left::zap::zap::zap:

Is there a difference between groping and fondling? Hope so, or I'm going to be very worried about @Ripper2860 . :smiley:

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #2,759 of 6,436
All good points. Never considered those.

Jun 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #2,760 of 6,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back