Vali 2 tube rolling
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,696 of 6,436
@bcowen
Hey my good man, what's the best of the best of Soviet era tubes? Haven't been following that trail too much (you wacky guys on the Lyr threads seem to have trudged well down that rabbit-hole), but from what I've gathered the Foton triple mica are the best 6n3p (what vintage are those?) and as far as 6n8s, the Foton ribbed plates, right.
How about 6n1p? or 6n2p? Any others I've forgotten?

Howdy Mr. Trev! I don't have a lot of experience with the 6nXp's. I did just get a couple pairs of triple-mica 6N3P's, but haven't had a chance to give them a whirl yet. Not totally sure of vintage -- thinking they are early 60's. I have some Reflektor 6N1P's that go in the phono stage of my Alana preamp. Sound-wise they're OK but nothing to write home about, but what you CAN write to Mom about is how totally dead silent they are. Quite nice for a phono application. The experts on the 9-pin Russkies are all over there in the Lyr Tube Rollers thread (not the Lyr 3, just the unnumbered Lyr thread). I think the discussion on these started around page 37,422 or so. :slight_smile:

As far as the 6N8S / 6H8C / 6SN7 variety, the ribbed plate Fotons are the best of the cheap tubes. 1955 and earlier are a sure thing for ribs, but not sure when the transition to the smooth plates happened. 58's and later have smooth plates, but I can't attest to '56's or 57's 'cause I don't have any. It's not a dramatic difference (to my ears) with any of the '50's production, smooth or ribbed. I think the ribs sound better, but could easily be happy with the smoothies. Once you get to 1960 though the difference becomes pretty substantial. If you want a Foton, stick with 50's only, and get the ribs if you can. A little pricier but also quite good are the 50's Melz. There are a couple main versions of these, one without holes in the plates and one with. The non-hole plates are affordable and sound very good -- same playing field as the Fotons. The hole-plate versions (if they are genuine) and have 1578 printed on the bottle are supposed to be in holy grail territory...but have holy grail prices too. I've seen some on Ebay for real cheap (like $40) but my BS-ometer kicked in as most genuine ones are going to fetch at least $100/tube and usually much more. It's a sad state of affairs when people start counterfeiting Russian tubes!

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,697 of 6,436
Howdy Mr. Trev! I don't have a lot of experience with the 6nXp's. I did just get a couple pairs of triple-mica 6N3P's, but haven't had a chance to give them a whirl yet. Not totally sure of vintage -- thinking they are early 60's. I have some Reflektor 6N1P's that go in the phono stage of my Alana preamp. Sound-wise they're OK but nothing to write home about, but what you CAN write to Mom about is how totally dead silent they are. Quite nice for a phono application. The experts on the 9-pin Russkies are all over there in the Lyr Tube Rollers thread (not the Lyr 3, just the unnumbered Lyr thread). I think the discussion on these started around page 37,422 or so. :slight_smile:

As far as the 6N8S / 6H8C / 6SN7 variety, the ribbed plate Fotons are the best of the cheap tubes. 1955 and earlier are a sure thing for ribs, but not sure when the transition to the smooth plates happened. 58's and later have smooth plates, but I can't attest to '56's or 57's 'cause I don't have any. It's not a dramatic difference (to my ears) with any of the '50's production, smooth or ribbed. I think the ribs sound better, but could easily be happy with the smoothies. Once you get to 1960 though the difference becomes pretty substantial. If you want a Foton, stick with 50's only, and get the ribs if you can. A little pricier but also quite good are the 50's Melz. There are a couple main versions of these, one without holes in the plates and one with. The non-hole plates are affordable and sound very good -- same playing field as the Fotons. The hole-plate versions (if they are genuine) and have 1578 printed on the bottle are supposed to be in holy grail territory...but have holy grail prices too. I've seen some on Ebay for real cheap (like $40) but my BS-ometer kicked in as most genuine ones are going to fetch at least $100/tube and usually much more. It's a sad state of affairs when people start counterfeiting Russian tubes!

Hmmm. I thought I read a bunch of your posts about the 6n3p et al. My bad.

I did find a seller with some of those ribbed plate 6n8s you've been hoarding (Actually, I think this might be the same person I bought my smooth plate from - the store page looks suspiciously similar to the old now defunct one - hey, I just noticed the word "defunct" has some wonderfully atrocious misspelling possibilities).. I figured I might as well grab some others if I place an order. Just want to confirm what's the best since I didn't find out about the 3 mica/ribbed plate thing until after I made my last order. I did some reading back and it really doesn't sound like there is too much love for the 6n1p. I thought about one of those SWGP 6N23p, but it seems like popular option says they're over rated too. Maybe a 6N5p - the Red's version of a 6CG7? Haven't read much about those… And where the heck are the Soviet version of the round plates?
Anyways, they have all flavours of 6n types - but I didn't see any triple mica 6n3p. Even some of those Melz 1578, but like you I'm not paying +$100 for a tube. It probably is a good idea to be skeptical about the cheaper ones. I don't know if they'd actually be counterfeits, but I'd have my doubts you'd actually get one of those hole plates - probably just the standard version (they typically go for ~$40 IIRC)

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,698 of 6,436

I did find a seller with some of those ribbed plate 6n8s you've been hoarding (Actually, I think this might be the same person I bought my smooth plate from - the store page looks suspiciously similar to the old now defunct one - hey, I just noticed the word "defunct" has some wonderfully atrocious misspelling possibilities).. I figured I might as well grab some others if I place an order. Just want to confirm what's the best since I didn't find out about the 3 mica/ribbed plate thing until after I made my last order. I did some reading back and it really doesn't sound like there is too much love for the 6n1p. I thought about one of those SWGP 6N23p, but it seems like popular option says they're over rated too. Maybe a 6N5p - the Red's version of a 6CG7? Haven't read much about those… And where the heck are the Soviet version of the round plates?
Anyways, they have all flavours of 6n types - but I didn't see any triple mica 6n3p. Even some of those Melz 1578, but like you I'm not paying +$100 for a tube. It probably is a good idea to be skeptical about the cheaper ones. I don't know if they'd actually be counterfeits, but I'd have my doubts you'd actually get one of those hole plates - probably just the standard version (they typically go for ~$40 IIRC)

Greetings, and a fellow newbie to Russkie tubes. I have a pair of matched Fotons(1952-ribbed) from an e-bay dealer whom my friends have dealt with and are a respected vendor. (www.ebay.com/usr/el-rayder). I became interested in the 6n1p "stock" NOS soviet-tube supplied with the Vali 2. I had always wanted a Telefunken, but in my newbie phase, didn't realize that all the "new" Telefunken were made at the JJ (Tesla) plant in Slovakia, and all the Telefunkens I had read about were the vintage (the 1960s) marked Western Germany. So, knowing that my Telefunken was a green as grass, I pulled out the stock tube, trusting that Jason had selected a good vendor in Russian NOS, and I have very pleasantly surprised that this tube sounds much better than expected. The 6n1p has a higher plate voltage than an e88cc, and the thing glows brightly--which I like to look at. I have a new production JJ 6sn7. You WILL NEED a socket saver when you order the 6sn7-6299 adapter, as it is larger than the hole in the Vali 2. I purchased a Soviet-era Sovtek 6SN7 and it is not a bad sounding tube--a bit on the brash side, which like all Russkies, may just need time to settle down. I have heard that 100 hours minimum of Soviet-era NOS is normal, and they can be very sweet sounding, they are built like Soviet tanks and will have a long reliable life. Hope this helps you. Welcome aboard, and like they say in New Orleans, "Let the Good Tubes Roll!"

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,699 of 6,436
Greetings, and a fellow newbie to Russkie tubes. I have a pair of matched Fotons(1952-ribbed) from an e-bay dealer whom my friends have dealt with and are a respected vendor. (www.ebay.com/usr/el-rayder). I became interested in the 6n1p "stock" NOS soviet-tube supplied with the Vali 2. I had always wanted a Telefunken, but in my newbie phase, didn't realize that all the "new" Telefunken were made at the JJ (Tesla) plant in Slovakia, and all the Telefunkens I had read about were the vintage (the 1960s) marked Western Germany. So, knowing that my Telefunken was a green as grass, I pulled out the stock tube, trusting that Jason had selected a good vendor in Russian NOS, and I have very pleasantly surprised that this tube sounds much better than expected. The 6n1p has a higher plate voltage than an e88cc, and the thing glows brightly--which I like to look at. I have a new production JJ 6sn7. You WILL NEED a socket saver when you order the 6sn7-6299 adapter, as it is larger than the hole in the Vali 2. I purchased a Soviet-era Sovtek 6SN7 and it is not a bad sounding tube--a bit on the brash side, which like all Russkies, may just need time to settle down. I have heard that 100 hours minimum of Soviet-era NOS is normal, and they can be very sweet sounding, they are built like Soviet tanks and will have a long reliable life. Hope this helps you. Welcome aboard, and like they say in New Orleans, "Let the Good Tubes Roll!"

Been using octal tubes (a rebranded mouse ear 6sn7 and Foton smoothplate 6N8S) for ~ 1 year now, so I'm set for adapters. I went the route of a 6sn7 to 12au7 adapter so that I could use a 12au7 adapter instead of a socket saver - kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I bought these tubes before folks really started digging into the all the various 6nxx types and didn't really know what the best of them are. I also have a 70s Reflektor 6n3p-something (e? maybe i, don't remember) and have had a 80s Vokhshod 6n23 for a while. I find the Soviet tubes are probably the brightest of my tubes and work best with metal genres. I've also heard about the long burn-in time, but have no idea what sort of hours are on any of my tubes.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #1,700 of 6,436
@bcowen
Hey my good man, what's the best of the best of Soviet era tubes? Haven't been following that trail too much (you wacky guys on the Lyr threads seem to have trudged well down that rabbit-hole), but from what I've gathered the Foton triple mica are the best 6n3p (what vintage are those?) and as far as 6n8s, the Foton ribbed plates, right.
How about 6n1p? or 6n2p? Any others I've forgotten?
+1 on this request... So I can approach some Canadian vendors and get some prices... Thanks, eh.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #1,701 of 6,436

I spent some time a while back trying to figure out what the difference was between the hole plates going for cheap and those more 'normally' priced. Not that I've even scratched the surface of the history on these, but there are (at least) two versions currently on Ebay. There's the true 1578 (with 1578 printed on the bottle) that have dull gray hole-y plates, and then a version with much shinier black hole-y plates but no 1578 on the bottle. Seems most if not all of the eastern-bloc sellers are tossing 1578 into the description whether the tube is a real 1578 or not.

Real 1578's below priced at $220/pair, which seems to be a good going price for these (but not too good to be true). Still a bit rich for my wallet that has become accustomed to $5 7N7's. :slight_smile:

upload_2019-1-5_8-26-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-5_8-40-21.png
    upload_2019-1-5_8-40-21.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,702 of 6,436
The 6n1p has a higher plate voltage than an e88cc, and the thing glows brightly--which I like to look at.

While the 6N1P was designed to operate at a higher plate voltage than a 6922-family tube, the plate voltage applied by the Vali2 will be the same regardless of the tube's design parameters. If the 6N1P is glowing more brightly, it's likely because there is more of the filament exposed (at the top of the plates) than a similar tube you've tried.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #1,703 of 6,436
Hello there ! Trying to decide which tubes to get, read a lot of experience that other users had. I’m looking for tubes (no adapters) which could give me a dark or warm sound with a good sense of soundstage and depth. I’d be using the Vali with some HD650.

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,704 of 6,436
I recently picked up a Vali 2 from another forum member and have been reading through this thread for ideas on tubes to try with the amp. The main headphone I'm using with the Val 2 is the DT 990s. I also have a pair of Grado SR60e as well.

The amp came with two tubes and I picked up a third to try as well. This is my experience with the tubes I have so far:
  • GE GBQ7 (stock tube) - Warm, but lacking in depth and clarity. Highs seem to be missing. Decent tube, but will not see much time in the amp
  • Sylvania JAN 5670 - Warm, with better bass and soundstage than the stock GE. Highs are better than the GE, but still pretty suppressed. Has a great looking glow
  • JJ E88CC Gold pins - Best sound stage and clarity of the three. Not as warm as the other two, but warm enough to impart some tube flavor to the sound
The JJ E88CC is my favorite of the 3. I would like to find something a little warmer than the JJ that keeps clarity that is present. The highs can be a little fatiguing using the JJ with the DT 990s, so I will switch to the 5670 if my ears need a little rest.

I welcome recommendations on what to try next. I'm not willing yet to spend too much on a tube, I'd say 35 - 40 would be my top price range

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,705 of 6,436
I recently picked up a Vali 2 from another forum member and have been reading through this thread for ideas on tubes to try with the amp. The main headphone I'm using with the Val 2 is the DT 990s. I also have a pair of Grado SR60e as well.

The amp came with two tubes and I picked up a third to try as well. This is my experience with the tubes I have so far:
  • GE GBQ7 (stock tube) - Warm, but lacking in depth and clarity. Highs seem to be missing. Decent tube, but will not see much time in the amp
  • Sylvania JAN 5670 - Warm, with better bass and soundstage than the stock GE. Highs are better than the GE, but still pretty suppressed. Has a great looking glow
  • JJ E88CC Gold pins - Best sound stage and clarity of the three. Not as warm as the other two, but warm enough to impart some tube flavor to the sound
The JJ E88CC is my favorite of the 3. I would like to find something a little warmer than the JJ that keeps clarity that is present. The highs can be a little fatiguing using the JJ with the DT 990s, so I will switch to the 5670 if my ears need a little rest.

I welcome recommendations on what to try next. I'm not willing yet to spend too much on a tube, I'd say 35 - 40 would be my top price range

Thanks tons! Seems like the JJ is one to have then!
Looking for more options to add!

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,706 of 6,436

I am also new to tubes on the Vali 2. I noted that you said no adapters--which will save you $12 but really limits your choices.

You also need a socket saver if you plan on switching tubes often, plus a 6SN7 adapter will not fit into the Vali hole. Vintage 6SN7 tubes are plentiful, at very good prices and will outperform (to MY ears) any 6299-e88cc class tube. (I have a stock soviet-era 6n1P, and a Telefunken, new production--but the big bottle "JJ" 6SN7 that I bought for $16 blows them away.

The Russian tube is microphonic and picks up my heart pacemaker telemetry, (70bpm-clicking). One other suggestion--the Telefunken you read about were German production, JJ-in Slovakia produce the new ones. It is a good tube, but not worth $48 for a name. Older Telefunken cost even more but at least they have a reputation as very good tubes.

I did headphone testing, and my opinion of the "JJ" 6SN7 is by far the best value, and that is after a week worth of time, "breaking-in"...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,707 of 6,436
I am also new to tubes on the Vali 2. I noted that you said no adapters--which will save you $12 but really limits your choices.
May I humbly suggest that you get a 6SN7 to the e88cc adapter from Tubedepot ( If you order one from China, it will take three weeks to get to you, TD will deliver in three days, and even with shipping, you will still be better off price/time wise.)
You also need a socket saver if you plan on switching tubes often, plus a 6SN7 adapter will not fit into the Vali hole. Vintage 6SN7 tubes are plentiful, at very good prices and will outperform (to MY ears) any 6299-e88cc class tube. (I have a stock soviet-era 6n1P, and a Telefunken, new production--but the big bottle "JJ" 6SN7 that I bought for $16 blows them away. The Russian tube is microphonic and picks up my heart pacemaker telemetry, (70bpm-clicking). One other suggestion--the Telefunken you read about were German production, JJ-in Slovakia produce the new ones. It is a good tube, but not worth $48 for a name. Older Telefunken cost even more but at least they have a reputation as very good tubes. I did headphone testing, and my opinion of the "JJ" 6SN7 is by far the best value, and that is after a week worth of time, "breaking-in"...

Thanks for the advice. I will look at getting a 6SN7 adapter. Unfortunately Tubedepot is out of stock so I may need to order one off of ebay. I do have a 5670 to 6922 adapter that came with the amp so I can explore those sets of tubes as well.

I'll put the JJ 6SN7 on my list of tubes to try once I get an adapter.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #1,708 of 6,436
@Mephit +1 on the advice @Robert Padgett gave you. I'd like to add that the Tung-Sol new production 6sn7gt, also at tubedepot.com, is another good choice. Additionally the vintage Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears" can be had for anywhere from $22 to $40 on ebay. This is currently my favorite.

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,709 of 6,436
Thanks tons! Seems like the JJ is one to have then!
Looking for more options to add!

Thanks for the advice. I will look at getting a 6SN7 adapter. Unfortunately Tubedepot is out of stock so I may need to order one off of ebay. I do have a 5670 to 6922 adapter that came with the amp so I can explore those sets of tubes as well.

I'll put the JJ 6SN7 on my list of tubes to try once I get an adapter.

@Mephit +1 on the advice @Robert Padgett gave you. I'd like to add that the Tung-Sol new production 6sn7gt, also at tubedepot.com, is another good choice. Additionally the vintage Tung-Sol 6sn7gt "mouse ears" can be had for anywhere from $22 to $40 on ebay. This is currently my favorite.

I'm consolidating this good advice so that I can retrieve it later this year (when I have more disposable income). Thanks, eh.

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #1,710 of 6,436
+1 on this request... So I can approach some Canadian vendors and get some prices... Thanks, eh.

Here is my understanding from what guys over on the Lyr thread have said.

-- 6N3P from the 50's (Foton triple mica) are the holy grail. Apparently, the 2x mica will suffice in a pinch, but are a little less good.

-- The 6N2P is a decent tube for the price (needs no adapter too). No one ever really broke down the best of the best 6N2P, but safe to say the older the better. 50s if ya can. I didn't love them in the Lyr, I thought their sound stage came off as really disjointed. Sounded decent in the Music Hall 25.3 DAC I have though, but I felt like something was MISSING all the time. Decent response across the spectrum, but just felt a little lifeless. Really cheap though.

-- 6N1P is regarded as being ehh by most I have talked to. Decent, but I have heard some say it is kind of gritty. I would agree. I had one in my Vali for a while. I thought I liked it, but compared to the 6N2Ps I have (and they are bad ones apparently, 1976 triple mica Voshkod) I would rate it lower. 6N2P lacks a lot still but is definitely smoother.

Honestly, IMHO recently I have started to like the National branded Matsu "mullard" (Japanses) 7DJ8/PCC88. I really hated it at first honestly, but now I like it a lot at least in the Lyr with the HE 400I. Isn't warm like a Mullard, but has a really clean presentation with basically no noise. A little warmth in the midrange feels kind of fluid. A good buy if you can find one, great for a sub $30 tube. Upscale has them for a little more, that's where mine are from. I dropped my 58 bugle boys for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back