Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 18, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,261 of 6,436
Just rolling in a Siemens PCC88 (7Dj8) for the start of the tube rolling week, my...my...my...Sounds very similar to a Telefunken, the midrange is buttery smooth but still nicely detailed and tonally beautiful. Good air and ambiance bordering euphoric, just draws you in. Pairs very nicely with the HD650!

@bcowen - Try one mate, worth your time!!!? :grimacing:

Hmmmm. I don't have any of those, either Siemens or Telefunken. A guy on another site just bought some NOS Tele branded 7DJ8's that have no diamond on the bottom...vendor said they were actually made by Siemens. Can't speak to the accuracy of that information, but if true it could explain why the Siemens sounds very similar to the Tele. :astonished:

My weekend got busier than planned and I've had too little time to listen. Still have the RCA clear-top 12AU7 playing. Sounds really nice, but just not quite in the same league as the Amperex 7316. Both are nicely balanced with extended and airy treble and great dynamics, but the Ampy brings out a wealth of micro-detail and harmonic info in the mids that the RCA just can't quite scavenge up. Neither have the bottom end of the Hytron 5692, but the Hytron doesn't have the gargantuan soundstage that the 12AU's do. I think it's time for a mutant tube. :grimacing: Maybe the 6C8-G?

122dqo2.jpg

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,262 of 6,436
Vali 2 has been burning in continuously for a couple of days now. Out of the box it's flat and rigid as expected a la new tube, I don't have any pre-burnt in 6922 lying around to roll in. I'm on my second album now and it's really bloomed and blossomed, I'm starting to hear that tube liquidity, layering, and that big round soundstage. The stock tube sounds pretty competent and clear so far tonight, if just a touch bright and tizzy. I think there is a little bit of something weird going on at maybe 3-6khz ish but really hard to tell with the HD800, even with SDR. Very subtle effects, and probably still breaking in.

I am scared of tube rolling after seeing what people do with adapters. I like to go big and be done with it, I like having some options but I rarely switch my main tubes out and usually only for an album or two. Buying tubes on a budget has been such a crapshoot, too. I hear a lot of good things about WE396 (I think). I also think I have seen someone running one of these crazy ass things? That looks legit af.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,263 of 6,436
Vali 2 has been burning in continuously for a couple of days now. Out of the box it's flat and rigid as expected a la new tube, I don't have any pre-burnt in 6922 lying around to roll in. I'm on my second album now and it's really bloomed and blossomed, I'm starting to hear that tube liquidity, layering, and that big round soundstage. The stock tube sounds pretty competent and clear so far tonight, if just a touch bright and tizzy. I think there is a little bit of something weird going on at maybe 3-6khz ish but really hard to tell with the HD800, even with SDR. Very subtle effects, and probably still breaking in.

I am scared of tube rolling after seeing what people do with adapters. I like to go big and be done with it, I like having some options but I rarely switch my main tubes out and usually only for an album or two. Buying tubes on a budget has been such a crapshoot, too. I hear a lot of good things about WE396 (I think). I also think I have seen someone running one of these crazy ass things? That looks legit af.

That's the attitude! Go big or go home!!. Grab the wackiest looking adapter you can find and don't look back:ksc75smile:

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #1,264 of 6,436
STRUTHHHH...Schiit Lyr 3 looks amazing! Vali 2 has a bigger brother on the way!

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,266 of 6,436
Always loved 6sn7 tubes, been waiting for something like the Lyr 3 for awhile now.

Schiit just happened.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,267 of 6,436
Just read a post that G1217 is making an adapter for 5670 type tubes now. It's made specifically for their line of amps, but should (could) work in the Schiit. At least we wouldn't have to wait 2 months for the slow boat from China

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,268 of 6,436

Volly has one (or more?) of those crazy ass things. Whenever he posts that he's plugging it in, I get worried there will be a calamitous disruption in space-time, and he'll be sucked into an alternate dimension never to be heard from again. Then who's gonna tell us which 6SN7 is best? :grin:

I, on the other hand, only go with totally normal adapters. :confounded:

2uongw9.gif

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,269 of 6,436
Haha, I think way back at the start of the thread I remember seeing some eye-opening adapters/tubes being used in the Vali 2. Something akin to a H.R. Giger movie/novel.

@bcowen - Take a gander at the new Lyr 3 mate, http://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-3. :money_mouth:

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #1,270 of 6,436
Volly has one (or more?) of those crazy ass things. Whenever he posts that he's plugging it in, I get worried there will be a calamitous disruption in space-time, and he'll be sucked into an alternate dimension never to be heard from again. Then who's gonna tell us which 6SN7 is best? :grin:

I, on the other hand, only go with totally normal adapters. :confounded:

2uongw9.gif
I like my 6F8G. Its what is currently in my Vali 2. I have been comparing it to a few of my other octal tubes recently. I need to get some more tubes onther than my late 30s early 40s Ken-Rad
KwsHLxpg.jpg

j313PNb.jpg

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,271 of 6,436
Haha, I think way back at the start of the thread I remember seeing some eye-opening adapters/tubes being used in the Vali 2. Something akin to a H.R. Giger movie/novel.

@bcowen - Take a gander at the new Lyr 3 mate, http://www.schiit.com/products/lyr-3. :money_mouth:

Yes, looks pretty sweet. Except I see 3 insurmountable problems already:

1) It's bigger than the rest of my schiit
2) It costs money
3) All the adapters I've waited months to receive will become paperweights

So....I'm carefully reviewing the budget and deciding if food is really necessary or just a comfort item. :wink:

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #1,272 of 6,436
@chef8489 - 6F8G looks so beautiful in the Vali 2!

@bcowen - Indeed, your Schiit Stack would be impressive to see mate! :blush:

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,273 of 6,436
I like my 6F8G. Its what is currently in my Vali 2. I have been comparing it to a few of my other octal tubes recently. I need to get some more tubes onther than my late 30s early 40s Ken-Rad
KwsHLxpg.jpg

j313PNb.jpg

That looks so cool! I just received an RCA 6C8G today, and have a National Union on the way (~$20 a piece on Ebay). Adapter not here yet, but should be shortly. I've never had any plate cap tubes before, so new territory for me. From other people's comments, it appears that the NOS Tung-Sol is very desirable in this tube type, but the only ones I've seen (so far) are pretty expensive. And just as soon as I bite the bullet and buy one, Schiit will announce the Vali 3 that's ready for immediate shipment....and uses a 300B. :frowning:

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #1,274 of 6,436
Doesn't look like they will update the Vali 2 from the video I watched. Let me know how the RCA sound. I need to get more tubes as the Ken Rad is all I have for this adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back