Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #1,276 of 6,436
300b would look like a hot air balloon on a vali size.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #1,277 of 6,436
Doesn't look like they will update the Vali 2 from the video I watched. Let me know how the RCA sound. I need to get more tubes as the Ken Rad is all I have for this adapter.

Yeah, reading Jason's write-up in his Schiit thread on the new Lyr and other forums, looks like the Vali 2 helped pave the way for the new Lyr 3 amp. Heck knows what they'll come up with for a new Asgard, but I saw something very interesting for another Vali 1 proto that Jason was/is working on.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #1,278 of 6,436
Doesn't look like they will update the Vali 2 from the video I watched. Let me know how the RCA sound. I need to get more tubes as the Ken Rad is all I have for this adapter.

What video?

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,279 of 6,436
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,280 of 6,436

Will do. I'll have plenty of time to listen now as I have no March Madness left....:sob:

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #1,281 of 6,436

LOL!!!!

Unfortunately as the 300B is only a single triode, there would need to be two........WAIT!! Now we're talkin'. The Vali 3-300B Monos! Talk about channel separation, and soundstage...oh my. Of course, we'd all need new headphone cables with the input end split into two 1/4" plugs, but such a small price to pay for being able to use the best triode tube ever created. :smile:

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #1,282 of 6,436
It's funny to me reading these posts and seeing people's minds blown by how much better 6SN7 tubes are than, well, any nine-pin that I've ever heard. I had the same experience putting an adapter on my Crack. I never understood what a 3d soundstage was until I got that adapter.

I have ordered a socket saver as well as a 6DJ8 to 12AU7 converter, I need to get an adapter for 6SN7 too, since I actually have those tubes. After that, tube rolling here seems like madness and chaos. Is there a consensus on the 'best'? Again, I am not a tube roller, I prefer to find something really good and be done with it. I am probably going to pick up a 6SN7 to 7193/CV6/CV3601 adapter, with the two tubes with two wires going up to the top each, I can't imagine this not sounding awesome. FrankenVali indeed.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #1,283 of 6,436
It's funny to me reading these posts and seeing people's minds blown by how much better 6SN7 tubes are than, well, any nine-pin that I've ever heard. I had the same experience putting an adapter on my Crack. I never understood what a 3d soundstage was until I got that adapter.

I have ordered a socket saver as well as a 6DJ8 to 12AU7 converter, I need to get an adapter for 6SN7 too, since I actually have those tubes. After that, tube rolling here seems like madness and chaos. Is there a consensus on the 'best'? Again, I am not a tube roller, I prefer to find something really good and be done with it. I am probably going to pick up a 6SN7 to 7193/CV6/CV3601 adapter, with the two tubes with two wires going up to the top each, I can't imagine this not sounding awesome. FrankenVali indeed.
I still think the 70s and 80s era Russian 6n3p-e are some of the best tubes I have heard on the vali. I think I like it better than most of my octal tubes.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,285 of 6,436
@ohcrapgorillas Since you're getting the adapters just get a TS round plate 6sn7 and be done with it. Just ignore the fact the tube will probably cost more than the amp…

I'll agree the Reflektor 6n3p-e I have is pretty nice, but so is the mouse ear 6sn7 and Yugofunken 12au7

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #1,286 of 6,436
What cans does everyone use for their tube rolling? In the past I used my k7xx to test. Recently I picked up my Audeze LCD2C and the synergy is just amazing. I sold all my other cans as I love these so much.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,287 of 6,436
What cans does everyone use for their tube rolling? In the past I used my k7xx to test. Recently I picked up my Audeze LCD2C and the synergy is just amazing. I sold all my other cans as I love these so much.

I swap between my HE400i and Fidelio X2 (haven't touched my SR125 in a while). I've also been pretty impressed at how well IEMs sound with the Vali

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,288 of 6,436

Man, my Kxx's have sat in a drawer for a long time. M1060's, DT880's (250ohm), and E-Mu (Teaks) with Ebony Cups. Have been debating on picking up some Sennheiser 600 series, and those LCD2C's look amazing... and I have been thinking about replacing the M1060's with a pair.

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,289 of 6,436
Man, my Kxx's have sat in a drawer for a long time. M1060's, DT880's (250ohm), and E-Mu (Teaks) with Ebony Cups. Have been debating on picking up some Sennheiser 600 series, and those LCD2C's look amazing... and I have been thinking about replacing the M1060's with a pair.
Reason why I used the k7xx is they revealed the differences in the tubes really well. My LCD2C while colored a little, are still fairly neutral, but very detailed compared to the k7xx. I can still use them for comparing the differences in tubes. With my th-x00 purpleheart even with teak cups were not so good for this nor were the hd650.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,290 of 6,436
I still think the 70s and 80s era Russian 6n3p-e are some of the best tubes I have heard on the vali. I think I like it better than most of my octal tubes.

I very much like the Reflector 6N3PE's. But the mailman was busy today and brought me some 60's Foton 6N3PE's, a National Union 6C8-G, and the 6C8-G adapter. I need to buy another Vali just to break all this schiit in. :beyersmile: Glad I got 4 of the Fotons. 1 is DOA (on the left...it's gassy as can be seen by the grayish color of the getter flash), 2 have badly mismatched triodes, but fortunately the last one tests out perfectly with high transconductance and almost identical triode outputs. I'll be real bummed if the good one sounds really, really good, 'cause then I'll have to buy more....from another seller obviously. And now I can't find the plate cap lead for my tester, so I haven't been able to test the 6C8-G's yet. Don't have a clue where it is, as I've never used it before. Might just have to test them in the Vali, however horrible that may be. Why do things have to be so hard? :sob:

18193o.jpg

352kdwg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back