Vali 2 tube rolling
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,232 of 6,436
+1 to snafu1...thanks Luckybaer for taking the time to share your impressions with such nice detail. With your comments, I'm going to have to re-listen to the Matsuschiita and Philips 7DJ's (guessing we both bought them from Uncle Kevin?) On initial listen, both were a bit anemic sounding -- they needed a little more meat on the bones (for my tastes). But I did not give them a fair amount of break-in time either, which is my own stupid fault. More tubes than patience, I guess. :open_mouth:
Both from Uncle Kevin. I notice the Philips are gone now.

Which headphones were you using while listening to the "Matsuschiita" and the Philips? I typically go with my DT880 or HD650. On high gain.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #1,233 of 6,436
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,234 of 6,436
Both from Uncle Kevin. I notice the Philips are gone now.

Which headphones were you using while listening to the "Matsuschiita" and the Philips? I typically go with my DT880 or HD650. On high gain.

I only have one pair of 'phones (well, beyond travel and cheap ones), the Alpha Primes. Been using them almost exclusively on low gain, but am trying high gain now as well.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,235 of 6,436
I only have one pair of 'phones (well, beyond travel and cheap ones), the Alpha Primes. Been using them almost exclusively on low gain, but am trying high gain now as well.
I don't know much about the Alpha Primes. What's their sound signature like? Pretty neutral (DT880 is relatively neutral, with perhaps more sparkle up top than some like; HD650 is heavier on the lower-mids and upper bass, giving it warmth, but it is a very resolving set of cans), or does it lean in another direction?

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,236 of 6,436
I have some of the new Genalex, but they haven't made it into the listening queue just yet. Don't have the new Tele...have quite a few old Tele's, so probably something I can actually avoid spending money on for once. :expressionless:

Over on the Lyr tube rolling thread there's discussion about a 6C8-G tube. Prices for this tube are pretty reasonable right now, at least until the Head-Fi hordes descend on Ebay snatching them up by the handful. Needs a different adapter, so guess what I just ordered.:disappointed:
You mean like this :gs1000smile:

KwsHLxpg.jpg

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #1,238 of 6,436
I chuckle a bit when I see someone posts "I just got the Vali 2, which tubes should I roll first?". :sweat_smile:

Then someone like @chef8489 post a pic like that and just blows peoples minds!! :grinning:

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,239 of 6,436
Holy smokes! That actually works (even with the adapter)?
Yes it works great.
Here is a 6sn7 and it works great as well. The vali 2 is an amazing amp and works with a lot of different tubes.It is a sylvania gtb 6sn7 from the late 30s.

j313PNb.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #1,241 of 6,436
The adapter makes it look like you sent your tube to the electric chair.
It has to have it. This thread made me put it back in the amp and I will use it with my Lcd2 classics.

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #1,242 of 6,436
It has to have it. This thread made me put it back in the amp and I will use it with my Lcd2 classics.

I am really curious about it. Could you describe how the Ken Rads sound in the Vali 2 relative to stock tubes?

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #1,243 of 6,436
I am really curious about it. Could you describe how the Ken Rads sound in the Vali 2 relative to stock tubes?
It has been a long time since I have listened to the stock tube, but I will compare them tonight with the lcd2c and some reference custom Iems. I sold all my other headphones as I love the LCD2 classic that much.

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #1,244 of 6,436
It has been a long time since I have listened to the stock tube, but I will compare them tonight with the lcd2c and some reference custom Iems. I sold all my other headphones as I love the LCD2 classic that much.

I visited Audeze's office last week and listened to basically everything they had including LCD-4's and I freaking forgot to try the LCD2C's. Such fail, totally slipped my mind. And I actually liked the LCD2-F's better than either the 3's and especially the 4's, which I did not understand at all for the price. But straying OT...

Let us know how the Ken Rad's sound...

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,245 of 6,436
I don't know much about the Alpha Primes. What's their sound signature like? Pretty neutral (DT880 is relatively neutral, with perhaps more sparkle up top than some like; HD650 is heavier on the lower-mids and upper bass, giving it warmth, but it is a very resolving set of cans), or does it lean in another direction?

The Primes sound pretty neutral to me. But that has to be put in proper context -- I'm a green and inexperienced newbie in the headphone world with a grand total of about 3 months experience. I started out with a $150 pair that sucked only a little less than my son's Beats. Kind of like saying a Whopper is better than a Big Mac when you're discussing aged tenderloin. :anguished: Returned those and got a pair of Monoprice M1060's. Now we're talkin'. I'd had the 1060's for a couple weeks when I spied the previously loved Alphas on Audiogon, and after a little back'n'forth with the seller, landed them for a nice price. The return window was still open on the 1060's, so after some hemmin' and hawin, decided to return them. They were really nice 'phones, and the sonic signature was more like the Alphas than different. But the Alphas go deeper in the bass, are more resolving in the mids, and most importantly (to me) are quite a bit more dynamic overall, which was one of my nits with the 1060's. Of course, the Alphas retailed for $1k when new versus the 1060's $300, so the Alphas better sound better. :blush: But that's the extent of my experience, which is obviously extremely limited. So with my usual lack of brevity, when I say "neutral" they're neutral to me, but with a dearth of comparative experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back