Vali 2 tube rolling
Aug 28, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,411 of 6,436
I had tried to use mixtures of 6SN7GTs before just for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20190703_183827.jpg
    IMG_20190703_183827.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #4,413 of 6,436
A group of four went through the 8 tubes I am sending to Schiit. 6sn7 or equivalent.
top four choices, (the tubes they liked the most and the order)

Ken-Rad VT 231 black glass
Cbs/Hytron 5692
Melz 1578
RCA grey glass 1942

It is early, I have more people who will do a listen so with a larger group the order could change a lot before I am done. There will be a pretty solid contingent who are into classical music and that could really vary the outcome.
I thought I would be not buying any expensive tubes soon, but I may need to do an exception for that Ken-Rad VT 231 black glass, what?

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #4,414 of 6,436
Impossible to see the plate structure, but the top mica indicates that it is different than my Clear Glass Brimar 6SN7GT or my Brimar Smoked Glass CV 1988.

BTW -- The BG 6SN7GT has what appears to be a bottom Halo getter holder while the Clear Glass has a bottom rectangle getter holder.

Interesting. I have seen several variations of that tube, and will have to give all mine another look.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #4,415 of 6,436
I thought I would be not buying any expensive tubes soon, but I may need to do an exception for that Ken-Rad VT 231 black glass, what?

That is up to you, so far the tubes have been through half a dozen people, and it rates up there, I personally like the CBS/Hytron a bit better in some situations, different music, different amp.

The testing I will be doing after the tubes come back from Schiit will have the very best such tubes I can lay my hands on. Some of those tubes can be $275 up, but if the testing shows there are some folks like as well or better, that should show too. I know Bill took a lot of time and went through a lot of trouble and knows his test music well. I have tried to spell out what will be happening in the no price limits testing, and I believe in the process. I have been through it personally and helped set it up with an engineering group the last time we did such a thing. There is one guy associated who has done some pretty serious recording sessions but I hesitate to give out much info there in a public forum. I will just say he teaches professionals and still does plenty of studio work himself.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #4,416 of 6,436
Sorry to quote my own post but this seller offered me a 5% discount on this tester around $712. Though I expressed no interest in buying it. That's a good deal.

Aug 28, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #4,417 of 6,436
Sorry to quote my own post but this seller offered me a 5% discount on this tester around $712. Though I expressed no interest in buying it. That's a good deal.

That is probably a wonderful tester if you are manufacturing pre-amps and want to include some specific, well matched tubes.

I got another dimpled getter Amperex 6dj8 someone sent me and once again, I like this tube lol.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #4,418 of 6,436
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they are 2 of the 5 or 6 rare 'Good Sounding' GE's that were part of a bad production run. Most were destroyed once the error was discovered, but a handful made it out of the GE plant and into the hands of collectors. :smirk:

My wife looks for "mistake" coins that have stamping or other mint errors. To collectors, some of these can be worth thousands on Ebay, and some worth 6 figures through formal coin auctions. She just found a penny that is very clearly dated 2093. If she's been to the future without telling me I'm gonna be pissed, but then she'd already know that, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Have no idea what it's worth (maybe a whole cent), but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,419 of 6,436
Now with the equalizers in place I finished cycling through my modest collection of tubes. The conclusion for my system seems to be the rca 12au7a clear top is the winner. The highs have a smooth delicate airy quality I hadn't heard before. Very similar to the DarkVoice with 6sn7gt mouse ears. The bass has sufficient authority and detail without muddiness. Mids are just where they should be. Soundstage is wide and deep with plenty of instrument separation and definition. The DarkVoice differs in that it has an easier time driving the Senn HD6XX'S which I think is to be expected. At this point I can use either amp for critical listening. Now for some new music.

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #4,420 of 6,436
So what exactly is min. acceptable for 6SN7 on a Triplett 3444?

1.7 is minimum good, 2.6 is average NOS. Below is a 3444A, but the 3444 is the same.

BTW, this is an excellent resource for old manuals, or if you want to see what test numbers mean on any particular vintage tester. Just download the tube data for the tester in question.

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/

upload_2019-8-28_20-8-41.png

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #4,421 of 6,436
Sorry to quote my own post...

I'm required to report this infraction to the Tube Tester Seller's Association of America. Sorry, nothing personal. :slight_smile:

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #4,422 of 6,436
300B's can be found and bought but nice try. :smile_phones:

I got tired of looking, so I decided to just add a headphone jack to my Jota. I figure 22 watts/channel should be enough to drive the Aeons OK. Now I just need a 150' long headphone cable to get from the big rig to the headphone listening chair. :slight_smile:

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #4,424 of 6,436
Now with the equalizers in place I finished cycling through my modest collection of tubes. The conclusion for my system seems to be the rca 12au7a clear top is the winner. The highs have a smooth delicate airy quality I hadn't heard before. Very similar to the DarkVoice with 6sn7gt mouse ears. The bass has sufficient authority and detail without muddiness. Mids are just where they should be. Soundstage is wide and deep with plenty of instrument separation and definition. The DarkVoice differs in that it has an easier time driving the Senn HD6XX'S which I think is to be expected. At this point I can use either amp for critical listening. Now for some new music.
You can find cheap Heerlen D getter ECC82 long plates fairly cheap especially if only need 1 tube, the RCA's are great for the money but I found the Heerlen absolutely fantastic, I rate that tube in my top 5 all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back