Valhalla for HE560
Sep 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Valhalla and was wondering if it was powerful enough to juice the HE560's properly. I just got the HE560's and they sound great but I am not knowledgeable enough to know the ins and outs of powering this stuff. I love the Valhalla with all of my other cans, especially my cheaper stuff like the KSC75's and PX100's. It adds a level of meat and sparkle that I just don't get any way else and that's without even EQing anything. 

Would it be worth my wild to step down to a Magni to power the HE560's or would the step up to a Lyr be worth it compared to the Valhalla?

Not to take a hit at Schiit but I've tried asking their CS before and all I mostly get is "Yes" and "No" instead of an actual answer to my question so I figured I'd try my luck. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 22

It's a good pairing, but not a great one. V2 is capable where V1 wasn't - but HE-560's can deliver better impact & dynamics with an SS amp or any amp optimized to deliver more into ~50Ohms.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 22

It's a good pairing, but not a great one. V2 is capable where V1 wasn't - but HE-560's can deliver better impact & dynamics with an SS amp or any amp optimized to deliver more into ~50Ohms.

Thanks! I'm not sure which direction Im going to go... I hear the Lyr's sound stage is amazing compared to the Magni but there aren't any Lyr 2's on Amazon which is my source for now. Wonder if I could step up to a Mjolnir and find a good balanced cable for my HE560's. My only concern would be if inputting a single ended into the Mjolnir would undo the whole point of going balanced. The Gungnir is my absolute best option but I don't have $1700 to play with right now... 

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 22
I've ran a Lyr V1 for a couple of years; very nice amp. I've also owned Mjolnir; that would be my recommendation if you afford it. It's a very nice amp.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 22
No, Mjolnir will not take kindly to such an adaptor. You would need a balanced DAC. That's the problem with pursuing better in Audio; it can add up quickly :)

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 22
Doh - you're correct, sorry; forgot that it had SE inputs. You are correct - it'll accept either Balanced or SE input. SE adaptors on OUTPUT will not work.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 22
I happen to be listening to that exact pairing right now.  I have to turn the volume all the way up to get to medium-loud.  If you ever want to go to loud-loud, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 22
I happen to be listening to that exact pairing right now.  I have to turn the volume all the way up to get to medium-loud.  If you ever want to go to loud-loud, you'll have to look elsewhere.

What if I used my Valhalla as a preamp to give it a little more volume?

I'm on the fence and trying to decide the best way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back