V6's vs. 7506's
Jan 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheMuffinMan_01

500+ Head-Fier
I just AB'd these two together, and for a very long time I thought they were supposed to be the exact same except for the mini plug. The 7506's are a billion times better, much more powerful defined tight bass, far less harsh and smoother, way more detailed and clear. Anyone else?

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 8
This has been mentioned many times before.
The two cans use the exact same parts. The only difference is in how they are grounded, with the V6 using one ground and the 7506 using seperate grounds for each driver. This doesn't affect the sound in any way though. The two cans can't sound different because they have the same parts. Any differences in sound signature most likely have to do with where the particular cans were manufactured. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8
This is the first I've heard of the different grounding design.

My understanding was that the V6's were sold through Sony's consumer division, and the 7506 through their professional division, and hence warranty issues, (and perhaps the warranty itself) was handled differently.

Headroom shows them to be pretty darn identical:

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Wikipedia says the 7506 has a neodymium magnet which is slightly stronger than the samarium cobalt magnet in the 7506.
Some say the 7506 sounds brighter and has less bass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_MDR-V6

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 8
How is that identical?
I've tried both and prefer the 7506. I don't know why, but the V6 I had always felt like it has some strange recession in the mids somewhere. Graphs don't also match up with how they both sound IMO.

The V6 had too much bass, mostly mid-bass. The 7506's mid-bass also ruined some perfectly good songs and drew attention to itself. Graphs don't always seem to show the mid-bass hump, but it definitely sounds like one to me.

None of them were had too much treble to my ears. I think the treble on them bothers some people.

What's funny is that on day one of listening to the V6 I felt I had found my perfect headphone. On day two I got rid of them
normal_smile%20.gif
The mids made it feel as i something was missing. It's really hard to explain.

The 7506 is a nice headphone for the price though...$60 or something?

I know this annoys people, but people who haven't heard both shouldn't say they sound the same. Yes, could have been production variations and the differences were much smaller, unlike the Q701 vs K702.

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of the different grounding design.

My understanding was that the V6's were sold through Sony's consumer division, and the 7506 through their professional division, and hence warranty issues, (and perhaps the warranty itself) was handled differently.

Headroom shows them to be pretty darn identical:

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
How is that identical?
I've tried both and prefer the 7506. I don't know why, but the V6 I had always felt like it has some strange recession in the mids somewhere. Graphs don't also match up with how they both sound IMO.

Relative to most differences between cans, that's pretty identical.  The slopes are pretty much the same, and in general they differ by no more than about 2dB; on the edge of audible.  The differences could well be described by slight differences in positioning of the cups or manufacturer tolerances.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 8
"What's funny is that on day one of listening to the V6 I felt I had found my perfect headphone. On day two I got rid of them
normal_smile%20.gif
The mids made it feel as i something was missing. It's really hard to explain."

For more midrange detail, get the Sony V900HD (the 7509HD  version is more expensive) instead of the V6 or 7506.

The V6 is now $95 as there is a shortage of them and most dealers are sold out.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 8
I have to admit, this ended up being more about the pads on my v6's vs. the ones on the 7506. Maybe also the age of my headphones vs. the 7506's because I tried again and still found the 7506's to be clearer and tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back