V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 24, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #887 of 1,475
globe91skate, I don't want to lead anyone astray, but I think the level of isolation on the vibes is one of their best features. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep the volume low or that I wouldn't be able to hear my music, but even on the subway last night I found I kept the volume at the same level I did with my ex51s and ex81s. Yes everyone talks about how they have less isolation, but how many posts have you seen from people who own the vibes saying "I wish they isolated more"?

Actually if people think that I would love to hear it because, as I said, I think the lesser isolation is awesome (where as the intense isolation of the E2cs is just creepy)

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #888 of 1,475
Yea I think I understand it better.I really do love that my Sony Fontopia do let me haer some of the outside world but still have my music as the main focus.So my next question I guess is do the go deeper in your canal than just regular earbuds like the Sony Fontopia or are they about the same fit?

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #889 of 1,475
I find the Vibes better than my UM2's in sound and to be honest the total isolation of the UM2's has always put me off. With the Vibes or any type of canal phone that allows some sound from the outside, I feel better as I know what is going on around me when walking. I think that to use the IEM's that isolate is dangerious in any setting except for a static one i.e., office or home.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #890 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
globe91skate, I don't want to lead anyone astray, but I think the level of isolation on the vibes is one of their best features. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep the volume low or that I wouldn't be able to hear my music, but even on the subway last night I found I kept the volume at the same level I did with my ex51s and ex81s. Yes everyone talks about how they have less isolation, but how many posts have you seen from people who own the vibes saying "I wish they isolated more"?

Actually if people think that I would love to hear it because, as I said, I think the lesser isolation is awesome (where as the intense isolation of the E2cs is just creepy)

All right then...I wish they isolated more. On the mean streets of Boston, the level of isolation is usually adequate, but the subway here absolutely obliterates any sense of musical coherence these babies produce. In fact, just last night I had to switch them out for my JVC Marshmallows halfway through the subway ride home because they simply couldn't cut it. It was a shame, because the vibes are far superior without outside intrusion. As it is, I tend to limit their use to stationary settings like the office (in stark contrast to jamato8, it seems) in order to fully experience their musical gifts. On-the-go usage is still super.fi 5, Marshmallow, and iM716 territory.

By the same token, it should also be said that I've never encountered the sense of creepiness that accompanies extreme isolation...perhaps because I've never felt truly detached from the world around me. Even with my iM716's, I can tell if there's a car behind me or a siren approaching...the earphones just cut out the white noise chatter of sounds that constantly surrounds us and only becomes apparent when we're attempting to focus on music.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #891 of 1,475
Question to Vibe owners: how do they stack up for movies and gaming? I know the soundstage won't compare to regular cans but I just want to know comparison.

I'm in a hunch as I need canalphones but I game and watch movies from time to time as well.

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #892 of 1,475
giga
HI: I just watched and listened to INDEPENDENCE DAY with the VIBES out of my stereo receiver and TV. They sounded just great with great bass and detail. The class braking was great and the sound stage was very surprising to boot.

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #893 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by giga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question to Vibe owners: how do they stack up for movies and gaming? I know the soundstage won't compare to regular cans but I just want to know comparison.

I'm in a hunch as I need canalphones but I game and watch movies from time to time as well.

They work great for gaming to. Just use a small clip-on mic...

Ply

Feb 25, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #894 of 1,475
I used Vibes with Bithead to game when I was on vacation visiting my friends on another coast - went quite well =].

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #896 of 1,475
I'm also in Boston, and wear my vibes on the subway everyday. Personally, I find them quite enjoyable on the subway, and don't have a problem with the isolation, which anyway is much better than the KSC75s I was used to. I listen to them straight out of my ipod at 60-70% volume, which is a little on the loud side, but I definitely don't find them to be overcome by subway noises. I ride the green line. if i was still on the somewhat louder orange line i might feel differently. Basically, if you don't mind turning up the volume a little, the vibes are just fine on the subway and other loud places.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #897 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by grreapsphos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...if i was still on the somewhat louder orange line i might feel differently...

Bingo. Orange line rider here. To clarify, my vibes aren't completely drowned out by subway noises, but the frequent squeal and grind of the brakes and the sometimes thunderous underground echo pose enough of an interruption to disappoint me. This is also coming from someone used to more-isolating 'phones (CX300, Marshmallows, FS1, super.fi 5 Pro, iM716), so relativity surely plays a part in our varied experiences. The KSC-75-to-vibes transition is indeed pretty significant, and I imagine anything above-ground would be vibes-friendly enough for me, too. That said, I still stand by the statement that I wish the vibes were more isolating (all else being the same), simply because I would use them more often.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #898 of 1,475
If you are still listening to ideas for future Vibes, I had a dream about one last night....

the body of the driver was made out of titanium and left the natural dark silvery grey color, unbuffed so they had a matt finish. The gnarled part was an even darker charcoal color, and matched they dark grey tint of the semi-translusent cables. Other accents were jet black (like the ends of the drivers, and the silicone tips). of course that was how they looked when I stuck them into my ears, when I turned on my iPod a jolt of blue light ran up the cables and they morfed and melted into my ears, becoming part of them. But, Man did they sound great!
eggosmile.gif
basshead.gif
icon10.gif

I think that dream may have sold me on them, though I may have to wait for the next batch of colors...

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #900 of 1,475
Quote:

I don't see myself upgrading any more.

Me either =) I was lucky and got it right on my first purchase since reading about head-fi =)

Only thing I want now is probably some cans. Gonna wait on V-Moda to make those. I need style if I am gonna wear em to school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back