V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 25, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #901 of 1,475
just bought some flashback chromes.

I've been buying, and buying and buying in ears for about 2 years now, and I've always felt unsatisfied. Probably because all of them were around $30-$50. I finally settled on the EP-630 about 6 months ago, and they've been great for me,but i still wanted to move up (naturally
biggrin.gif
) So I bit the bullet and bought me these to settle it all once and for all.

I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #902 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are still listening to ideas for future Vibes, I had a dream about one last night....

I think that dream may have sold me on them, though I may have to wait for the next batch of colors...

Cool, I'm with ya, and this gave me some new ideas... we actually did make some "matte" rough versions of the reds for prototypes, and we're working on perfecting fabric cables with some interesting differences than the ones currently on the market (no microphonics, wear, or permanent bends like many out there). as for next colors, I already greenlighted them but again cannot tell or leak them - especially this time (TRUST ME there is a huge surprise, not so much in the product itself, but how it is launched and marketed).

EDIT - my current personal fav is still Red Roxx, and I do like one of the future colors a lot too for personal use although its much more subtle than Red Roxx...

supreme1 - the DJ headphone cans are coming along, drivers are in 3rd revision now and we're working on materials and final industrial design/features. They're definitely going to be made for hardcore DJ use. They'll mos def be extremely unique and of course have rockin sound. Wish I had a prototype for April meet, but looks like it won't be IDed in time and showing off sound without clothing is just not our style
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #904 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh...do Vibe users have to dress up for the meet? :wink:

lol, YES... vibe users must dress fashionably funky, JUST KIDDING! I meant the DJ headphone is UGLY right now, and I'm not proud enough to call it V-MODA yet, its just "ear speaker" haha.

BUT, most likely a LA playmate model will be coming to the meet to demo our products (like we do at the CES and Magic Fashion shows), so may want to not dress TOO sloppy
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #905 of 1,475
"I finally settled on the EP-630 about 6 months ago, and they've been great for me,but i still wanted to move up..."

Dinski -- Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet! I like my EP 630's for what they are and for their price, but I thought my friend's Vibes were a step up. Don't expect a jaw-dropping difference, but it should be an all-around better ownership experience. (Of course, keep in mind the law of diminishing returns -- after a point, you'll probably have to pay a lot more to keep improving the audio quality.)

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #906 of 1,475
valkolton
HI VAL. I am very impressed by the sound stage on the VIBES. That little hole must be the cause. If you improved the VIBES I think a bigger hole for a bigger sound stage would be just great. I never really heard a good sound stage with IEM till the VIBES.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #907 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, YES... vibe users must dress fashionably funky, JUST KIDDING! I meant the DJ headphone is UGLY right now, and I'm not proud enough to call it V-MODA yet, its just "ear speaker" haha.

BUT, most likely a LA playmate model will be coming to the meet to demo our products (like we do at the CES and Magic Fashion shows), so may want to not dress TOO sloppy
evil_smiley.gif

Will she be just over 18? Cause thats my type
very_evil_smiley.gif

In all honesty I managed to color-match all of my electronic gear, so hell, it should all come together cleanly =] (although thats not hard...about 70% of audio products come in black)

Feb 25, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #908 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
valkolton
HI VAL. I am very impressed by the sound stage on the VIBES. That little hole must be the cause. If you improved the VIBES I think a bigger hole for a bigger sound stage would be just great. I never really heard a good sound stage with IEM till the VIBES.

Ltucci - exactly... here are the three things in sound I grade with headphones (although our audio engineers may differ with me sometimes, I have veto power) 1) bass 2) clarity 3) 3d soundstage. So yes, our current & future development has a very high emphasis on the staging. This is one of the reasons we are focusing on Dynamic Drivers instead of BATs as well... We have BATs in prototype mode, but we feel we should take Dynamic Drivers to another level since there are already enough companies taking BATs to higher levels (Shure, Etymotic, UE, Westone).

Even our earbud, Remix, was upgraded AFTER being voted earphone of year from Macworld and hi rating on iLounge to just add more 3d soundstage. One of the reasons is I strongly believe movies and tv shows will be increasingly popular on portable media players - V-MODA is in close proximity (same office building even) of many studios, famous directors, and we are working on special video content and production.

We have developed some in-ear surround sound earphones with a huge surround soundstage, but to me the bass/mids/clarity is just not there to release them... the surround is there, but it sacrifices mids that are "garbly", so we have much work to do... Instead of releasing many models, we're concentrating on only 1 per class (Remix- the hi-end earbud that gets no respekt, Bass Freq- ~$50 in-ear , and of course Vibe "hi-def"). After much debate, we did finally decide all our consumer headphones will have accentuated bass, so there will never be a V-MODA model without some "back-end", yet we try to balance this with mid/clarity and I honestly read EVERY comment to decide on the perfect balance of bass/clarity for the majority of genres and players.

18 yr old- don't worry, she's 18 - but in Hollywood at least they are all 18-21 it seems, I sometimes wonder where the older girls dissappear to?! Shopping sprees with sugar daddies, I hope not!

black- agreed, audio industry and Henry Ford have a lot in common "You can have it any color you want............. as long as it's black".... Except for Red Roxx I see why, colors do not sell the same as black, its unreal how many people want black.

Feb 25, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #909 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
black- agreed, audio industry and Henry Ford have a lot in common "You can have it any color you want............. as long as it's black".... Except for Red Roxx I see why, colors do not sell the same as black, its unreal how many people want black.

well, black is always been my favorite color so i ain't complaining!
cool.gif

so you're working on new color schemes with a fabric cord for the Vibes? way cool! i've been able to resist the Red Roxx so far since my Gunmetal Blacks have been serving me just fine. but now you're working on a fabric cord? you are testing my resolve, val!

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #912 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramw5p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to buy soon, should i wait another month??????

I believe that in an earlier post Val indicted two new 'masculine' colours coming in the May-June time frame.

So buy some Red Roxx (or whatever) now, hope that colour gets discontinued, and sell at a profit after getting the new colour that you prefer.

Steve

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #913 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramw5p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to buy soon, should i wait another month??????

I believe that in an earlier post Val indicted two new 'masculine' colours coming in the May-June time frame.

So buy some Red Roxx (or whatever) now, hope that colour gets discontinued, and sell at a profit after getting the new colour that you prefer.

Steve

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #914 of 1,475
Quote:

We have developed some in-ear surround sound earphones with a huge surround soundstage, but to me the bass/mids/clarity is just not there to release them... the surround is there, but it sacrifices mids that are "garbly", so we have much work to do... Instead of releasing many models, we're concentrating on only 1 per class (Remix- the hi-end earbud that gets no respect, Bass Freq- ~$50 in-ear , and of course Vibe "hi-def"). After much debate, we did finally decide all our consumer headphones will have accentuated bass, so there will never be a V-MODA model without some "back-end", yet we try to balance this with mid/clarity and I honestly read EVERY comment to decide on the perfect balance of bass/clarity for the majority of genres and players.

Do you intend on producing in-ear style headphones only? Cause if you are going to stick to earbuds and increase soundstage size - that is quite a feat O.o

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #915 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been able to resist the Red Roxx so far since my Gunmetal Blacks have been serving me just fine. but now you're working on a fabric cord? you are testing my resolve, val!

resistance is futile my friend lol..
evil_smiley.gif

we have been debating the fabric cord for weeks, final decision hasn't been made. on one hand we finally got the PERFECT fabric cable (earlier ones kinked, frayed, and had microphonics). And I would NEVER believe I'd EVER prefer plastic as I am a notorious "plastic hater" (I wanted Vibe and all products made with 0 plastic at one time), but my concerns now are looks and I actually do like the black cable with the texture we put on Gunmetal/La Mocha a lot (and I love the reflection of Flashblack/Red Roxx's metal braid). the Vibe's Gunmetal Black/La Mocha cable is nice - sleek, modern, reflects just enough light, is thick in "feel" yet thin for jogging, durable, and tactile. The texture does not permit a "slider", but this is ok as sliders can damage headpones unknowingly if users arent careful (one of #1 cause of defects on all headphones is the splitter shorting out a L/R channel because of people pulling hard on cable/splitters our research has shown - which is why no v-modas have sliders today).

The fabric cable is a little duller so it doesnt match as well with the shiny metal... we are trying to add some "shine" to the fabric but I am afraid it may cause stiffness/kinks, but we'll see... maybe we'll dull the metal. this being said even I have NO IDEA if Vibe will use fabric at this point as it still isn't there yet (and release date is not even on schedule at this point). they all have pros and cons. someday I wish we could auction prototypes, but we need them for reference at this point. new colors aren't as "neutral" as current models if that helps, they are more tuned to specific players.

ps - "mexican firecracker" model OSU photoshopped with orange/red actually was made BEFORE he photoshopped it... it's a crazy color

Users who are viewing this thread

Back