V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 27, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #931 of 1,475
Does V-Moda really not have any promotional shots of fine lookin ladies wearing the vibes to demonstrate how they look when in? I thought that every single electronics product (no matter how ridiculous) has a promo picture with a good looking girl demonstrating its use. In fact I thought it was my right as an american consumer to see an image like that and think "wow, if someone that attractive uses this product then I would be a fool not to buy it".

And as for on topic: I tried the cheap triflanges that people recommend on the forums (purchased for ~$3 on e-bay) and found that I was able to get better sound with them by shoving them waaaaay deeper into my ears...
... But then when I switched back to my regular tips I realized that could actually shove them in deeper than I had realized too.

So in the end the triflanges did "provide better isolation" (which I don't really think is a feature and is probably why I won't use them), but I don't think they improved sound. I haven't yet tried cutting off the top flange as has also been suggested somewhere on the forums.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #932 of 1,475
"jamato - saw on your rating you tied for #1 Remix and Vibe, can you explain? Remix I feel is a great product that doesn't get much publicity as Vibe overshadows our other products a lot lately, but I feel Remix is among the top earbud-type headphones in the world (I know of only 3 great earbuds), it should of been priced for more $ and marketed as an audiophile model haha."

I find the Remix to be Very open with good subtle constrasts between musical notes. There is a lack of the often heard boxy sound of ear monitors. They are transparent and throw a nice staging, something difficult for ear montitors to capture. Frequency continuity is well captured and the bass is quite solid and tuneful. The only problem I have is that ear buds are hard for me to keep in place so I used the over-the-ear pieces that came with my JBL Refernce 220's. These work well with the Remix and I can position the Remix to get the most out of the sound they produce, which for me is not right against the ear but slightly away for it. If they are too close or too much contact the bass lines tend to muddy and there is a loss of detail. It would be nice to see some innovative over-the-ear pieces for these as I believe that although canal phones are a big item, these could find a valuable nitch for those wanting very well produced audio. Redesigned with a nice material covered cord and a form fitting piece that would couple to the monitors and the ear or some device to hold them in an unobtrusive way would go a long way in making these a very good performing high end monitor. I think that these could be further improved/refined to rival many of the better monitors out there.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #933 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does V-Moda really not have any promotional shots of fine lookin ladies wearing the vibes to demonstrate how they look when in? I thought that every single electronics product (no matter how ridiculous) has a promo picture with a good looking girl demonstrating its use. In fact I thought it was my right as an american consumer to see an image like that and think "wow, if someone that attractive uses this product then I would be a fool not to buy it".

Believe it or not the model we were going to use is very hot (on cover of 7 magazines at least), but her ears weren't perfect for Vibe... so now we need hot models with hot ears haha... Guess we better prepare the ole hollywood casting couch, agh what a hard life...

And fellow American - you are right, it is only American to see a product used by a fine lookin lady and we will deliver!

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #934 of 1,475
Val, can you plllease elaborate what 'grey' market means? Does grey market include every seller in EBAY except for the official VMODA EBAY retailers?

How about the countless online retailers online (outside of Ebay)? How would we know whether they're official retailers or not?

Do you NOT honor warranties from any retailer that is NOT an official VMODA reseller?
HOw about Amazon Marketplace?

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #935 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Val, can you plllease elaborate what 'grey' market means? Does grey market include every seller in EBAY except for the official VMODA EBAY retailers?

How about the countless online retailers online (outside of Ebay)? How would we know whether they're official retailers or not?

Do you NOT honor warranties from any retailer that is NOT an official VMODA reseller?
HOw about Amazon Marketplace?

Any non-official retailers and Amazon Marketplace buyer should be purchased with caution. We are going to try and implement a warranty/incentive program not to buy from these people very soon as many are products being sold through the backdoor intended for international or retail channels. So as we are being more leniant now to our consumers, we will heavily promote a new warranty/authorized reseller program soon.

International business is so complex now days from counterfeiters, grey markets, ebay, amazon marketplace, etc... Best to buy from us, Amazon Direct, Apple, Macys, Virgin, or Earphone Solutions as well as those who are authorized on the Acquire section of V-MODA.com.

Sorry for complexities, but this strict control is actually necessary to get the other stores like Neiman Marcus, Saks, Best Buy, Sharper Image, and others to carry V-MODA. If shady people are selling these out of their "trucks" for unauthrorized discounts so to speak, the large retailers will not carry that type of product.

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #936 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe it or not the model we were going to use is very hot (on cover of 7 magazines at least), but her ears weren't perfect for Vibe... so now we need hot models with hot ears haha... Guess we better prepare the ole hollywood casting couch, agh what a hard life...

And fellow American - you are right, it is only American to see a product used by a fine lookin lady and we will deliver!

Hahaha.

Maybe some fellow head-fier'in will turn out to beat all your models :wink:.

Did you get tomahawk yet? Just for the sake of interest.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #937 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get tomahawk yet? Just for the sake of interest.

Got Tomahawk today, first thought - OMG it has a bright red pouch. Why does everybody complain about my Gold leather pouch
smily_headphones1.gif
(we are making BLACK soon don't worry). Its smaller than I thought, and very cool!

I havent gotten to try it out though, as believe it or not I do not have a high quality 1/8" to 1/8" cable at the office (that I could find at least - I know there are many with our computer speakers but those must be horrible and so long). I guess it's time to go to Fry's and spend $100+ on a monster cable good enough for my $295 amp, $101 headphones lol. The cable + tomahawk will make the iPod and headphones cheap in comparison
very_evil_smiley.gif

Can't wait to try it with DJ headphones too.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #938 of 1,475
$100 you said?
Headroom says fry's sucks:
http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...mini-cable.php

(I have one of these lying around although not using atm, good cable).

If you make a black pouch, it better have some kind of leathery-glossy effect to it
biggrin.gif
Although I personally think a red one would be also appropriate, La Mocha is begging for one (Red Roxx would be better with a black one).

Edit: if I had an appropriate adapter, I would try the Vibe out of the Darkvoice (can you imagine, $400 tube monstrosity driving the lil things?)

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #939 of 1,475
as a girl, i like the gold pouch
smily_headphones1.gif
if you come out with a red pouch with the same finish that would be hot as well. sorry for a dumb question, but does a good ampl make the earphones sound better? i've never tried out an amp before! I have an 8 gig nano i'm using right now.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #940 of 1,475
hm, people say amps do make vibes better. I have no personal experience, I just know they sound awesome if you can get something even better sounding than an i-pod :wink: Actually what I am smoking, I have a portable amp lying right next to me...one sec.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #941 of 1,475
Ok...well I do pick-up a little bit of improvement in the bass, it makes it roar more easily, makes it feel less muddy. The treble experience tiny bit of benefit, but nothing major. (mud is from my zen micro, not the best bass in portables around, and rather recessed highs).

In short - I don't thinks its worth it.

Now if we talk about big phones and in a home setting + a nice hefty amplifier...lets not go there, wrong thread :wink:. I am in college, I shouldn't be on head-fi at all.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #943 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramw5p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to buy my Vibes form Amazon.com, as i have a gift certificate. So are you saying they might be fakes form Amazon?? Thanks for the info.

Val referenced Amazon Marketplace which is where non Amazon vendors and individuals can sell new and used wares.

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #944 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And as for on topic: I tried the cheap triflanges that people recommend on the forums (purchased for ~$3 on e-bay) and found that I was able to get better sound with them by shoving them waaaaay deeper into my ears...
... But then when I switched back to my regular tips I realized that could actually shove them in deeper than I had realized too.

So in the end the triflanges did "provide better isolation" (which I don't really think is a feature and is probably why I won't use them), but I don't think they improved sound. I haven't yet tried cutting off the top flange as has also been suggested somewhere on the forums.

I bought the flanges too, but to me, I also found no appreciable difference in sound quality, in fact I like the original tips better on that count (now that I have tried both). Oddly enough, I found that my ears are difference sizes (not that unusual, I heard), so I use the medium silicone in the left, and small in the right, and make sure to get them in snug. Now, the original tips sound great. No big loss on the flanges financially, but just didn't work for me. I have Etys too, and with those, I do prefer the flanges.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #945 of 1,475
I also tried the triple flange tips from ebay. I bought two pairs so I could try one with the small flange cut off. I couldn't use either of them because my ears are to small so I switched back to the small vibe tips.

Also, I don't remember which member mentioned this but, I tried wearing my vibes over the ears and the sq improvement was significant. I get a better seal and everything comes through much cleaner and tighter. Bass frequencies are more prominent. Another thing, if you wear them over the ears, you don't have to put the cord behind your back. I am able to let the cable dangle down in front of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back