V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Feb 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #873 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am contemplating discontinuing one of the first two colors just to make Vibe more limited, even if it is a hot selling color.

The first two colors are the best.
frown.gif

Unless you're planning black and chrome (secondary) with white cables.
eggosmile.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #874 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha Vibe beats out Ultrasone 2200, welcome to the stream?

"welcome to the steam"? shoot, I guess we have to raise the price of Vibe I guess now right? either that or our engineers better load up on some more Red Bulls for the higher-end and DJ models.

pics now showing up SLR, great to see mods... I still have to try my screenless mod, I almost forgot

re first two colors - yes, first two are universal and great, I'm curious if somebody could see a new gunmetal black ordered from us or Apple, I think the color shifted slightly darker (as I said before exact colors are unique like clothing yet fall within a range we specify). In all honesty, I got rid of all my headphones at my house except for Red Roxx lately, after years of having hundreds of headphones at my home I decided it was time to seperate work from relaxation a little more

Macys carrying Vibe - About 130 (400 in a few months) Macy's stores should be getting vibes this week in 3 colors (red, flashblack, and gunmetal), they are in the Zoom/iPod vending machines. Also they are in the airports in the vending machines (not red though). I am especially glad to have Macys, Apple, Virgin, and Amazon fully on board as they are working with us to rollout and discontinue headphones seasonally if we wish like real fashion apparel.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #876 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
re first two colors - yes, first two are universal and great, I'm curious if somebody could see a new gunmetal black ordered from us or Apple, I think the color shifted slightly darker (as I said before exact colors are unique like clothing yet fall within a range we specify). In.

Was this change intentional? If so, good. I never liked the idea of having bright yellow buds.
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #877 of 1,475
Received my vibes the other day. Took me longer to read this entire thread than it did for my vibes to be delivered
icon10.gif
But I have finally finished reading this thread so here is my response:

I have owned the shure e2c's, xtrememac fs1's, ultimatears 5eb, earsubs, and many other low end iem's or canalearphones.

The e2c's are not bad but not great; fs1's a little better but you have to replace the foamies very often; 5eb's were terrible imo. I'm not a fan of armature drivers; earsubs were cool for the price but didn't last very long.

Vibes - another satisfied and pleased customer!! Man, these things are itty bitty, I love it!! First impressions right out of the box - daaamn, these blow away my xtrememac fs1. Nice seperation. Very pleasing to my ears, and as has been metioned, they get better with age. I won't go into detail as it's all already been covered. btw, I don't mind them not having total isolation, it just takes a little getting used to. I also have not noticed any of the quirks mentioned, like hiss, sibilance (sp), unbalanced, vibrating or any of the other problems.

I did the "heatshrink" mod for the stem. Got a pack of heatstink from radio shock and used a 1/4" tube on the stem. I also cut about a 1/2" off of the 1/4" tube and use it as the cable slider. Once I put the hair dryer to the heatstink the slider tube shrank just enough to be effective. I'll post pix if anyone is interested.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

edit - I forgot to mention: I'm using a 60G Ipod photo. I tried the EQ set to acoustic and thought it sounded really good, but I kinda like the rock EQ setting better, I think.

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #878 of 1,475
man, I really hope to hear reports that the tomahawk does NOT improve the vibes that much... I'm trying to maintain some control on this slippery slope that is head-fi... last thing I need to do is shell out for an amp and then carry that around everywhere (and I think I remember other people saying amping the vibes didn't do that much).

As for the fittings, I am using a white in the left and a black in the right, I can slightly feel the difference but they both fit really well. I think one of the big features of the vibes is that mine came with soooo many fittings (its 3 sets white and 4 sets black right?). I mean they can't cost that much to produce, but the piece of mind of not having to buy extra spares definitely earns bonus points.

I don't want to get too off topic (its true, I promise!), but does anyone want to suggest their electronic music of choice for listening to on the vibes. I'm still kind of a noob in that genre. I grab Armin Van Bureen's "a state of trance" show every week since trance is ideal for doing homework too (plasma physics grad student) but I don't know much besides that... any suggestions?

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #880 of 1,475
The Red Roxx and the Xin SuperMacro LE are an excellent combination. The sound is very open, dynamic and transparent.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #881 of 1,475
Damn this thread.

I don't need these, but they are just so cool and I want a non-isolating pair of comfortable, portable phones to walk and exercise in and I can't find my EX81s. (I think I let someone borrow them. Now he can keep them, I guess!
cool.gif
)

I ordered the Flashbacks. Sweet.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #882 of 1,475
Wow, this thread has really grown since I last posted. Anyway, I was having trouble with these things as everything was muddy / recessed except the bass when I was using the default tips. I switched to using EX71 tips instead of the small ones provided and the muddiness went away, so here's my mini-review:

------

For once, I've waited a long-time since owning new headphones to make some definitive statements about them. Usually, it takes me some time to find faults which I eventually can't stand (eg. the lack of highs / mellowness of the Triport IEs and how I kept losing the silicon tips.)

The Vibes don't have any of these. The sound is very well balanced with lots of bass (drums and bass guitar come out very well) without overpowering the rest of the music at all. The overall sound is quite nice, very rich for an earbud type headphone (more so than any I've tried up to this point.) Isolation is there, but not great obviously. It's perfect for my use though (walking outside, listening in public places, etc.) I'd say it's roughly comparable to the Sony EX90, worse than EX71.

These headphones sound good with all musical genres that I've tried, from rock (especially rock) to classical. I listen to lots of lo-fi stuff too, and it sounds pretty good there too, though these really shine with better recorded material. I listen to these out of an iPod shuffle (2nd gen) which really drives them well, better than my other mp3 players. As the phones are sensitive, there is a slight "shuffle hiss", but I don't even notice it anymore (it's worse on some other headphones.)

Overall, I truly do love these things. I've finally found some really portable earbuds that actually make all of my music sound good so that I don't feel I'm missing anything whatsoever compared to my huge home headphones when I just take these along. They basically accomplish my three goals of portable headphones by sounding good, isolating a bit / not leaking, and being ultra portable (allowing me to always wear my earbuds around my neck at all times.) The fact that I had to switch tips may be troubling to some people but I'm told I'm part of a vast minority who hears the music as being very muddy with the default tips. It didn't bother me too much since I had several Sony tips already, but I'd have to give them back if I didn't. Overall, these are probably my best headphone buy since I started here, and I don't see myself upgrading any more. Thumbs up to V-Moda.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #883 of 1,475
Quote:

I don't see myself upgrading any more.

Congrats on achieving that lucky event...
I don't think I am done yet with the portable setup - although my main issue with sound my mp3 player at the moment and its weak highs, so the headphones don't get to glare with all the stuff that needs brightness. Kinda difficult to go back to them from the mighty home setup...
(I can still see myself having some customs in distant future).

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #885 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by globe91skate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My one concern with the vibes is people keep saying that they dont isolate. Well thats fine with me but do they isolate more than the Sony MDREX51LP?

No, they don't isolate. They isolate as much as the next earbud -- EX51, CX300 etc isolate a lot more than the Vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back