V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 12, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #1,036 of 1,475
Yes I chose Vibes over im716. I even did a comparative review in another thread. But then I chose um2 over the Vibes...partly cause lack of isolation got to me.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #1,037 of 1,475
Isolation? A big topic around here. Sometimes you need/want it.........an' sometimes you don't. Actually Vibes and iM716 (modded is much better IMO) cover the entire usage spectrum. Just walking around I go with Vibes. If heavy traffic (eg. center of town) or backyard (ergo not moving around, hence no microphonics) then I choose iM716.........and keep er-6i w/Comply foamies for Planes.
Having both iM716 and Vibes ARE cheap enough so that you can easily have it both ways.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #1,038 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isolation? A big topic around here. Sometimes you need/want it.........an' sometimes you don't. Actually Vibes and iM716 (modded is much better IMO) cover the entire usage spectrum. Just walking around I go with Vibes. If heavy traffic (eg. center of town) or backyard (ergo not moving around, hence no microphonics) then I choose iM716.........and keep er-6i w/Comply foamies for Planes.
Having both iM716 and Vibes ARE cheap enough so that you can easily have it both ways.

yeah, i like the isolation.

so you're saying the iM716 is better? i dont know how to mod it, so maybe the vibes will be fine for me.

as for the um2, they are too rich for my blood.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #1,040 of 1,475
Just got my super.fi foamies in the mail today. Put them onto the vibes and hit the play button.
basshead.gif
Clarity was dramatically improved over the stock silicon tips. Highs and high-mids also saw significant improvement. The sound became less colored and more true to the original. The bass stayed intact and seemed to go down a bit deeper. The soundstage, however, did not change. The super.fi foams werent like how i expected them to be. They are like memory foam. I squished the tips into a smaller shape and stuffed it into my ears, great fit! (although they look REALLY ulgy comparing to the stock tips
frown.gif
) But if you want a less colored sound, you might want to consider getting the foamies for your vibes!

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #1,041 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my super.fi foamies in the mail today. Put them onto the vibes and hit the play button.
basshead.gif
Clarity was dramatically improved over the stock silicon tips. Highs and high-mids also saw significant improvement. The sound became less colored and more true to the original. The bass stayed intact and seemed to go down a bit deeper. The soundstage, however, did not change. The super.fi foams werent like how i expected them to be. They are like memory foam. I squished the tips into a smaller shape and stuffed it into my ears, great fit! (although they look REALLY ulgy comparing to the stock tips
frown.gif
) But if you want a less colored sound, you might want to consider getting the foamies for your vibes!

Super.fi foamies are some of the worst ever.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #1,043 of 1,475
Just wanted to say that as Val was very helpful when I asked him for a replacement of a broken pair of Vibe's (which weren't really covered by warranty), I decided to start a feedback thread here.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #1,044 of 1,475
Can somebody comment on the Vibes ability to act as an antenna ( FM Radio) when connected to an Mp3 player. Some Phones work better than others.
I plan on getting the Cowan X5 if this helps.

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #1,045 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody comment on the Vibes ability to act as an antenna ( FM Radio) when connected to an Mp3 player. Some Phones work better than others.
I plan on getting the Cowan X5 if this helps.

Using the Vibes on my X5 as we speak - FM reception is as good as with most other phones. Better than with the stock earbuds or Super.Fi's, but not as good as the fat cable on my Beyer DT770's, I would say.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #1,046 of 1,475
Is it just me or are the new Vibes just far too bassy?

I much prefer the first generation Vibes...although a little lacking in the bass department, they are oh-so-natural so OPEN so stunning!

The new Red Roxx, while i absolutely adore its looks, are far too bassy, with no soundstage to speak of.

Or did i receive a defective set?

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #1,047 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or are the new Vibes just far too bassy?

I much prefer the first generation Vibes...although a little lacking in the bass department, they are oh-so-natural so OPEN so stunning!

The new Red Roxx, while i absolutely adore its looks, are far too bassy, with no soundstage to speak of.

Or did i receive a defective set?

Did you let them burn in for at least 10-15 hours?

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #1,048 of 1,475
I just received mine today. Unfortunately, customs decided to charge me a lot of taxes. I thought the Vibes were supposed to be shipped in a small package. However, they were shipped in a big package, so it attracted a lot of attention. I asked them to be shipped as "Sample of merchandise" or "Gift", but V-Moda sent them as a normal package, and declared $50 as the real value. To sum it all: I paid almost $150 for my pair, including shipping and taxes.
frown.gif
V-Moda now owns me a black "purse", when it arrives to compensate for this,
smily_headphones1.gif
cause the golden "purse" was given to my wife. Sorry, guys - the earphone is beautiful, but the purse... Sparkling gold? Sorry, if I was using that in the gym I can't even imagine the kind of comment I would have to hear...
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

About the fit... Wow, I guess I was really a virgin regarding IEMs, 'cause these things were inserted almost fully inside my ear. My Senn CX300 don't go so deep, but the Vibes almost disappear inside my ears, using the small tips. Medium tips will not be comfortable, small are comfortable enough, though I have to spend some time with them before I can have a real opinion.
Isolation? With no music, almost none. I hear everything. With music? As good as a full sized open phone.
The sound? Nice, a good amount of bass. I can't say it has lots of details, but they seem to be good - really "fun", let's say. I can't compare them to any other earphone in the same price range, but they are "different" from my Senn CX300. I would not say "better" at this moment, because I can't insert my CX300 so deep - they are really "different" right now. Let's see in a few weeks how they behave with different styles of music.
They are beautiful, discrete, and seem very sturdy. The way they are inserted, they won't fall of your ear. Really. They won't. Your ears will fall and the Vibes will stay in place, this is the sensation I have now. I don't know if I would run or go to gym with them - I suppose sweat will really be an issue here.
V-Moda was really great with customer support. Only complain is about the taxes I had to pay...

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #1,049 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way they are inserted, they won't fall of your ear. Really. They won't. Your ears will fall and the Vibes will stay in place, this is the sensation I have now. I don't know if I would run or go to gym with them - I suppose sweat will really be an issue here.

I had my piece of V-Moda today. Hurray!

I had the opposite feelings than OHPC that I think my pair with biggest tips is rather loose. They wont fall if I turn my head, but quite easily anyhow. I had a pair of Shure E2gs and I used M-sized tips. I wish these Vibe's tips are a bit thicker and sturdier, so that they would fit more tightly. Well, it is a compromise because we all have different ear canals...

The sound - I love it. I had a picture of a really bass monster, but they are actually pretty balanced. Dunno if it is because my DAPs and use without amps, but I think they are quite neutral with good amount of details. Or maybe I am a basshead that I do not know of. Definately better than Shure E2gs (with kramer mods).

And what is best about the Vibes are their openness. I can actually run with them without any problems, which were my purpose of buying these. With fully isolating IEMs, I hear really loud thumps with every step I take, thus, making music unbearable to listen. Now, I am just loving these!
biggrin.gif
In addition, I am not closed out of the enviroment, and the isolation rate is perfect.

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #1,050 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you let them burn in for at least 10-15 hours?

I did.

They still sound like someone pressed mufflers hard against my ears.

In comparison, my previous pair sounded stunning right from the start, even without burning in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back