V-moda Vibes... The review is finished. (56k beware, big pics...)
Mar 4, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #1,006 of 1,475
Well to put it this way.
I'd buy one if I cared about serious SQ on the go. There are two issues with it that make it a bit questionable - it hisses with high sensitivity phones (which Vibe is not, tested), and it has not the most comfortable interface without any support for lossless, but damn it sounds good.

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #1,007 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by valkolton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although is this L/R all for nothing, I guess no songs really say "coming on your left", "coming on your right" - I think its a placebo more than anything. I think a beastie boys song says something about "stereo" and left/right but thats all I can think of
very_evil_smiley.gif
. But I always love to hear music the way it was intended in the recording nonetheless.
edit - L/R is necessary of course for movies and games

Allow me to disagree with you, Val. If you listen to classical music or if - like myself - you are a musician/conductor/composer, you have a pretty exact "spatial image" in your head, meaning: violins should be heard on the left (1st violins more to the left than 2nd violins), violas almost at the center but a little to the right, cellos to the right, double-basses behind the cellos, a little more to the right. Woodwinds should be behind the strings, brass behind woodwinds, percussion behind brass. Pianos (if part of the orchestral percussion, like most modern compositions) are usually to the right to the listener together with percussion, but if played as a solo instrument they are in front, centered.
Some orchestras, mostly in Russia, have different seating positions: 1st violins extreme left, 2nd violins extreme right, cellos left, violas right, etc. The actual place where the recording takes place also helps determine the seating positions. When a musician listens to a recording of this orchestra he will be able to notice where the instruments are. If you see a live orchestra, that is how it is supposed to sound when listening to a recording, and most recordings give you this exact spatial feeling.
biggrin.gif
You are even able to listen to a recording and comment about some personal preferences of the conductor regarding a particular piece, comparing to other conductors.
smily_headphones1.gif

Most piano solo recordings (in studio) usually have a "spatial" mixing: lower keys are to the left and high keys are to the right, because most piano recordings use two or more microphones and they are mastered taking into account what you should hear if you were seated in front of the piano, like the pianist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Most people wouldn't even bother, but to those who care about classical music, L/R is very important and it is this way I mix my own (classical) compositions.

If you are interested, take a look:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=45372
www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/%7Eahugill/manual/seating.html

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #1,008 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHPC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allow me to disagree with you, Val. If you listen to classical music or if - like myself - you are a musician/conductor/composer, you have a pretty exact "spatial image" in your head, meaning: violins should be heard on the left (1st violins more to the left than 2nd violins), violas almost at the center but a little to the right, cellos to the right, double-basses behind the cellos, a little more to the right.

Great knowledge in Classical music, even though I used to play Violin and my girlfriend was in the San Diego Symphony I did not think of this. Learn something new every day.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #1,009 of 1,475
He got a point, more or less same with jazz.
Horns on the right, Sax in center, Piano on the left, Bass right down mid, drums if live on the right, if study - all around you. Guitar usually sits with the piano, vocalists hang out with the Sax. Vibes are on the right. I have yet to see a jazz show that is different. (apart from lead horns playing in the mid with the sax)

Or worst case scenario - Shpongle and King Crimson with their early stuff - there is absolutely ridiculous left and right phasing to varying degrees between various voices, and back/front positioning that can thwart the picture if you get it backwards.

Oh jesus this thread has almost as many posts as I do...did you get to try that Tomahawk yet Val?

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #1,011 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wish i could really love the vibes, but i just don't the e2c's are just so much better in my opinion.

you have way too much money. you joined a month ago or so and now youve spent like close to 1000 already

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #1,012 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wish i could really love the vibes, but i just don't the e2c's are just so much better in my opinion.

E2c was first "real" iem I bought. Did not care too much for sound until Kramer modding them, then they were much better. But they still lack detail imho. Vibes are far more detailed and lively. Not to mention more comfortable...

Ply

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #1,013 of 1,475
I'm happy agian! My Vibes finally got fully burned in agian. Took another 90ish hours though. They were sounding really badded and I was trying to expand my music tastes so I got some classical music. I accidentally left em on during a class so they played classical music for 1:30 minutes or so. (Also changed EQ to "classic")

Messed with EQ awhile and decided to try bass boost with a bit more to the High end.... Put in "Noche de Entierro"

Oh.
My.
God.

It was like going stock to Vibes all over agian. The bass from my old ones came back with the improved highs of the new ones. They're making 56K songs sound pretty good. At 192K+ It's like wow. Also for some reason I keep wanting to stick my Vibes in my teacher and hear her talk that way...

(I know a little off topic)
I'm gonna get an so I'm saving up now.It's between iBasso T1 and P1 (Prices..)

Leaning very heavily towards the T1. Just 2 questions. How much of a difference does an amp actually make? Like how much improvement in SQ do I get? I don't wanna pay 100$(shipped) agian and find out it only slightly improves SQ and then be told that what 100$ gets for an amp.( I NEVER heard amped heaphones. In my school I'm 99.9% sure I got the most expensive headphones in a high school of 2000. So I can't really compare phones)

Is it like going from Stock Buds to say...30$ headphones but starting at the Vibes? I've heard that they do and don't respond well to an amp.

And lastly.

Would T1 be sufficent for the V-Moda Dj headphones(Obviously towards Val and if you can't say thats ok I'll still get them when I can)

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #1,014 of 1,475
I just recently got my vibes, in fact today.

I was really astonished by the sound quality of these compared to the Shure E2C. The quality is much better in my opinion, and the comfort level is pretty much through the roof. My only complaint is getting a good seal on them is kinda difficult - they don't block out sound near as well unfortunately.

Outside of that small defect, the sound quality is excellent, they look good and are small, and are comfortable (In fact, I'm going to try to use them at work a full day and see how I like them).

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #1,015 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet
My only complaint is getting a good seal on them is kinda difficult - they don't block out sound near as well unfortunately.

Outside of that small defect, the sound quality is excellent, they look good and are small, and are comfortable (In fact, I'm going to try to use them at work a full day and see how I like them).

The non-isolation of the Vibe is not a defect. It was designed to be an "open IEM."

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #1,016 of 1,475
I got my vibes on the 6th and I've just been having music play on them for the past couple days and love them a whole lot more than the cx300's I have. I may end up giving my cx300's to my sister and keeping the vibes although I wish I had gotten the black and chrome ones instead of the la mochas because it feels a little awkward with gold and red in my ears, lol.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #1,019 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my chrome Vibes today...burning as we speak. Anyway, I was wondering if these foamies would work with the vibes. I have pretty small canals and even the smallest silicons cause discomfort after about an hour.
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/cocatiforum2.html
If these wont work, which ones would...thanks!

The Complys will not fit; the sound bore of the vibes is too large. Sadly, the only foamies I know of that will fit the vibes are the Ultimate Ears super.fi ones, and those aren't small by any means.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #1,020 of 1,475
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my chrome Vibes today...burning as we speak. Anyway, I was wondering if these foamies would work with the vibes. I have pretty small canals and even the smallest silicons cause discomfort after about an hour.
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/cocatiforum2.html
If these wont work, which ones would...thanks!

That discomfort could be IEM virginity leaving? You should get used to it after few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back