V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #226 of 1,343
Tho the lightning adapter LOD is not filterless and has its own wolfson dac which is going to be standarize in many products. So sound might be diff since it doesnt really bypass unless lignting to usb cord into verza
We actually discussed this in the Vamp thread & with the Lighting to 30-pin there are two output options :-

1) Analogue Lineout (which means you're right but the VERZA doesn't take line in)
2) Digital out (which means it bypasses the Wolfson)

#2 was a surprise to me too until ShotgunShane clarified it.

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #227 of 1,343
We actually discussed this in the Vamp thread & with the Lighting to 30-pin there are two output options :-

1) Analogue Lineout (which means you're right but the VERZA doesn't take line in)
2) Digital out (which means it bypasses the Wolfson)

#2 was a surprise to me too until ShotgunShane clarified it.
What do you mean two output option? It selects if it wants to use the wolfson or the other connected?

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #229 of 1,343
Quote:
What do you mean two output option? It selects if it wants to use the wolfson or the other connected?

Well Dr.Sheep's already tested it with the Lighting->30 pin adapter and 30-pin to USB into the VERZA therefore it has to be a digital out from the component into the VERZA. Since USB is digital, the Wolfson DAC must therefore be bypassed.

On the other hand in other threads on Head-Fi, others have used the Lighting->30 pin adapter and a 30 pin -> 3.5mm jack into an amp too. Therefore in that setup, the Wolfson DAC is actually functioning as a digital-to-analogue feeding lineout into the external amp.

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #231 of 1,343
Sorry if this has already been addressed before but I have to go and do not have time to read all the posts. Doubtless you have already thought of this as well.

While many people do have an iPhone and the iProduct compatibility is nice, for those of us wihtout iProducts the massive extra price it tacks on hurts, a lot. I know marketing and producing a separate product without the iProduct compatibility will probably cost quite a bit, you do have to consider the growing popularity of Android phones, a cheaper, separate product might convince many of us people on the fence to get the new version. Even if it barely offset the extra cost, well, you'd still have more v-moda on the streets, which means more free marketing. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #232 of 1,343
Quote:

Well Dr.Sheep's already tested it with the Lighting->30 pin adapter and 30-pin to USB into the VERZA therefore it has to be a digital out from the component into the VERZA. Since USB is digital, the Wolfson DAC must therefore be bypassed.

On the other hand in other threads on Head-Fi, others have used the Lighting->30 pin adapter and a 30 pin -> 3.5mm jack into an amp too. Therefore in that setup, the Wolfson DAC is actually functioning as a digital-to-analogue feeding lineout into the external amp.

Thanks for helping me to explain the setup to others, and in fact, if you use the 30 pin adapter in digital mode and it sounded different, then I would worry.  Also, tried of awaiting for V-MODA to make a cable, I just ordered myself the 7Nclass 30pin(dock) to USB Digital Short Cable and the Lightning Adapter to USB Digital Short Cable by VentureCraft from Amazon.  I know that they are a bit expensive, but I have yet to see a cable better for the setup than these two.  Since Val mentioned something about the iPod classic and I am running out of space for both of my iDevices, I got myself one too.  Can't want to see what surprise lay ahead of us.

Off topic: speaking about functions and prices for the VERZA, I do think that Val made the right choice and not holding back just to make it cheaper.  Since FiiO has the lower end pretty much cornered, there is no point to compete there.  And since the VERZA was derived from the Go-DAP X / DD which are already selling at around $400, the price will naturally go up a bit.  Val did a great job redesigning the thing and made an entire portable system for it along with the Metallo cases plus other stuff he have yet to release, so price wise I think it is all right.  If you already own a pair or two M-100s or other higher end IEMs and cans, buying the VERZA is really a no-brainer for me.  To be honest I did get burn by that $200 black Friday deal on Amazon for the VAMP after paying full price, but I think I am over that now.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #233 of 1,343
I have the go dap x . great product. and i am considering this product. my question is what happens if a call comes in while listening to music. the go dapx you here it wring but cannot answer or here them if you can. its a drag as i am a contractor and on the phone a lot. what happens with this verza. can you answer even if you take the amp out of your pocket. does anyone know ????

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #234 of 1,343
@DrSheep- My apologies up front if I am missing something in your thorough comparison, but did you listen to Verza connected to your Iphone 5 using lightning>USB since that is the only way to bypass the Iphone 5 DAC and utilize the onboard DAC of Verza with Iphone 5?

My understanding is that if you use Iphone 5>lightning adapter>30-pin connector>USB Verza that you would be using the inferior DAC in the lightning adapter instead.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #236 of 1,343
Quote:
I have the go dap x . great product. and i am considering this product. my question is what happens if a call comes in while listening to music. the go dapx you here it wring but cannot answer or here them if you can. its a drag as i am a contractor and on the phone a lot. what happens with this verza. can you answer even if you take the amp out of your pocket. does anyone know ????

Great question and I just tested this by calling myself on another phone, and the VERZA did bring out the call and let you answer it!  I can hear the ring from the M-100 (or any other headphones) plugged into the VERZA, however, after answering the call, you will have to directly talk into the iPhone or use the build-in speaker phone as none of the voice gone into the VERZA.  So I guess this is the same as your Go DAP X.
Quote:
@DrSheep- My apologies up front if I am missing something in your thorough comparison, but did you listen to Verza connected to your Iphone 5 using lightning>USB since that is the only way to bypass the Iphone 5 DAC and utilize the onboard DAC of Verza with Iphone 5?

My understanding is that if you use Iphone 5>lightning adapter>30-pin connector>USB Verza that you would be using the inferior DAC in the lightning adapter instead.

No problem, but I DO NOT have an iPhone 5.  I did tried my iPod Touch with AND without the 30 pin adapter (i.e., the default Apple Lightning to USB cable) and they sounded the same, so for your iPhone 5 setup it should be fine and the Wolfson DAC in the 30 pin adapter bypassed as mentioned by AnakChan.  Of course this setup would not be ideal, and this is why I just bought myself the Lightning to USB cable from VentureCraft for this.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #239 of 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSheep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Test 3 - VAMP vs. VERZA: as mentioned before the VERZA was tuned for the M-100 and it shows, and you can definitely tell that the VERZA gives off a much stronger base and mids but the high end suffers.  This is the one point I don't like about the VERZA as I think it is too far away from neutral even with EQ off.  It by no means sounded bad, but if you really care about neutral sounding high notes you might not like the VERZA.

So you don't like the high end because it's not neutral. How else does it suffer beyond lack of neutrality? One of the criticisms of the M-100 is that the treble is too laid-back for some. Does it still retain that laid-back sound but because of the bass and mid boost it sounds even more laid-back in comparison? Or does it change in a negative way so that the M-100 sound without the VERZA presents the treble better?

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #240 of 1,343
I also think the treble is too laid back on the m100. I use the eq apps to fix it like sonic max or eq 10.

So you don't like the high end because it's not neutral. How else does it suffer beyond lack of neutrality? One of the criticisms of the M-100 is that the treble is too laid-back for some. Does it still retain that laid-back sound but because of the bass and mid boost it sounds even more laid-back in comparison? Or does it change in a negative way so that the M-100 sound without the VERZA presents the treble better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back