V-MODA VAMP VERZA/METALLO: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, Crowdsourcing Ideas
Mar 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #76 of 1,343
Val, any info on current owner discounts? Listening to my vamp right now and love it!

Also, a suggestion (which is probably way too late)- allow control input from control cables.  I'd love to be able to control play/ff/rew from my iOS cable (even though volume would be restricted to the vol pot).  I realize that this would probably take a design change to accommodate the trrs tip, but it's worth mentioning.  No headphone amp does it and it would be really nice.

thanks!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #77 of 1,343
Wow guys, this is amazing. Great job. The only issue as of now (we have to wait for the actual tests on the device) is the price of both the amp and the cases (specially the cases. $100 for a case, even if it is made of machined aluminum hurts). I'm really looking forward to this!

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #79 of 1,343
This looks awesome.  I'll be very curious as to how it compares to something like the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.

I could be wrong, but it looks like quite a bit of the cost of the Verza relates to iOS-specific features and functionality.  Those of us who eschew Apple products might find this slightly unappealing. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #80 of 1,343
Val, one year ago when you announced the original VAMP, you said something about VAMP owners getting a special upgrade offer for VAMP VERZA if it becomes available in the future. I was one of the first (if not the very first) buyer of VAMP in May 2013, even wrote a long review for it here at Head-Fi, and I would like to know if that offer is still valid. I really want that VAMP VERZA with my iPhone 4S becoming obsolete, but I had already paid $650 for the original VAMP and don't want to pay another $600 for the VAMP VERZA and simply throw away my original VAMP.

Could you tell us if you'll really extend the upgrade policy for previous VAMP owners like us? Instead of buying the VERZA new at $600 just like everyone else, wouldn't it be possible to return our VAMP and have it upgraded to VERZA at an extra cost?

Loyal customers like us don't want to feel left out.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #81 of 1,343
This is... rather sexy, actually. Now is when we Android users need to be hammering Google even harder about native USB audio.

What's there to hammer Google about? Didn't they already build it into the source code for the OS? I could be mistaken, but I think the issue is certain manufacturers just disable it in the kernel (same with external storage thru USB OTG) and/or leave the drivers out.

I love the idea of this, but spending $600-$700 on a accessory for a phone  that I will probably throw away and/or update in a few years is not a smart investment for me. 
Yeah, I know I can just rubber band it to a new device but that pretty much destroy one of it's main selling point.
Hopefully V-Moda comes out with a case for the ipod video/classic/touch.

$600 for the amp/DAC/battery isn't terrible... It's not cheap by any means, but there's really nothing quite like it out there tbh. (as far as polish & design)

Something like Leckerton's $280 UHA-6S is generally considered a good bargain for an amp/DAC (that also works with mobile devices and has optical input instead of output). iPhone compatible models are even pricier. I don't know how the Verza will stack up but it adds battery charging and the custom rail system, amongst other things.

Personally it's way too rich for my blood (rather go for something like the Leckerton and a $40 battery pack), but I'm just not mobile enough to warrant the expense nor do I think my M-80/hf3 would benefit enough from it.

I change phones like every year or year and a half too and I'm not gonna drop $100 on a new case for it every time, those solid Al blocks aren't cheap to mill tho! I do wonder if separate iOS & Android versions might've made the device significantly cheaper, at the same time tho, there's probably a lot of people with Android phones and iPads.

All that being said, I can easily appreciate the thought and design that went into it. The video's worth watching, tho it could've used a few more live closeups of the assembling/sliding process. Even so, makes it look downright sexy.

I hope it's a hit for V-Moda so they can start working on the economics of scale and/or add more phone models to the case lineup.

Did V-Moda get to work with Apple and/or Samsung at all while developing this?

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #82 of 1,343
Val, any info on current owner discounts? Listening to my vamp right now and love it!

Also, a suggestion (which is probably way too late)- allow control input from control cables.  I'd love to be able to control play/ff/rew from my iOS cable (even though volume would be restricted to the vol pot).  I realize that this would probably take a design change to accommodate the trrs tip, but it's worth mentioning.  No headphone amp does it and it would be really nice.

thanks!

Hadn't even thought of that... Not sure they could easily address it either, I'm sure iOS devices allow track control thru the custom interface but I dunno if it's possible at all on the Android side. I guess if it could simultaneously work as a digital audio interface and a USB HID...

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #84 of 1,343
What's there to hammer Google about? Didn't they already build it into the source code for the OS? I could be mistaken, but I think the issue is certain manufacturers just disable it in the kernel (same with external storage thru USB OTG) and/or leave the drivers out.

I believe the amazing USB OTG support on the SGS3 was implemented by Samsung. The Nexus phones can't do that.

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #85 of 1,343
Just because the Nexus can't do it doesn't mean it's not in the AOSP code tho, the Nexus is ultimately a collaboration between Google and an OEM.

The Nexus 7 has USB OTG storage disabled out of the box too but you can get it working even without root thru an app (think it lets you import/stream from external, but not write to).

Samsung's OTG implementation could very well be their own tho, I've been pretty disconnected from the Android dev scene for a few months.

I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't even taken the time to update my EVO LTE's ROM to Jelly Bean... :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #86 of 1,343
Well I'm not as into the Android ROM scene as much as I used to be either, but I know that none of the AOSP ROMs for the SGS3 supported USB OTG. I really do think it's Samsung taking the lead on this.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #87 of 1,343
I think Samsung had it working before it was ever officially implemented, but it's built in since Jelly Bean (which the SGS2 and even the SGS3 obviously precede), and it's working on other non-Samsung devices.

Just because the OS is capable of it doesn't mean it'll work on all devices running JB tho, the device's kernel has to have support for it enabled and drivers have to be present (tho apparently that Android Audio Recorder app can address that, w/o root even).

I'm not sure what's going on with the SGS3 in particular. I imagine either Samsung's using their own implementation or the kernels included with AOSP ROM aren't enabling it.

This mess is so typical of Android, still, I love it! :p

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #88 of 1,343
Quote:
Val, one year ago when you announced the original VAMP, you said something about VAMP owners getting a special upgrade offer for VAMP VERZA if it becomes available in the future. I was one of the first (if not the very first) buyer of VAMP in May 2013, even wrote a long review for it here at Head-Fi, and I would like to know if that offer is still valid. I really want that VAMP VERZA with my iPhone 4S becoming obsolete, but I had already paid $650 for the original VAMP and don't want to pay another $600 for the VAMP VERZA and simply throw away my original VAMP.

Could you tell us if you'll really extend the upgrade policy for previous VAMP owners like us? Instead of buying the VERZA new at $600 just like everyone else, wouldn't it be possible to return our VAMP and have it upgraded to VERZA at an extra cost?

Loyal customers like us don't want to feel left out.

I thought this would be one of the first issues addressed since the early adopters of Vamp are some of the best prospects for Verza and some of the most loyal V-Moda customers, but the silence on this issue is cause for concern as I and others have asked this question several times with no answer.  I read on the Vamp thread that previous owners will receive $350 toward the purchase of Verza. Val commented in multiple posts that he would do something special for Vamp owners regarding Verza.  I contacted customer service at V-Moda who said they knew nothing about an upgrade program for Vamp and to contact Val.  So I am again asking Val whom I am confident will take care of his loyal customers and has just been too busy to address this particular issue.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #89 of 1,343
Quote:
 ADL Furutech X1 is another contender.  

You won't be able to find any DAC/Amp that work with iDevice in that price range. As someone already mention before that Apple license fee is very expensive. For all the DAC/Amp out their that work with iDevice (HP-P1, Go-Dap X, PHA-1, Verza, Furutech X1, and HiFi-M8), Go-Dap X is the cheapest one but still about 400+ USD. 

I wouldn't include the HiFi-M8 as it has single ended and balanced output.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #90 of 1,343
As far as i know only SGS3 and Note 2 (maybe some of the new HTC and Sony phones as well now) will work with the verza stock. My nexus 7 will but only because i have rooted and installed a custom kernel that supports it. Most android devices will likely have a supported custom kernel so you would have to do that to use verza with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back