V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
Jul 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #406 of 710
There needs to be serious work done on affordability for iDevice DAC/Amp combos. If there's anyone that I would hope realizes this opportunity, I hope it's Val. Everyone, SERIOUSLY EVERYONE, is waiting on a $300 (sub-$300) portable DAC/Amp (for iPhone, Android, or both). I realize that the VAMP was a research product targeted at the elite of the audiophile world, but this really REALLY needs to be looked at.

Kojaku

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #407 of 710
Quote:
There needs to be serious work done on affordability for iDevice DAC/Amp combos. If there's anyone that I would hope realizes this opportunity, I hope it's Val. Everyone, SERIOUSLY EVERYONE, is waiting on a $300 (sub-$300) portable DAC/Amp (for iPhone, Android, or both). I realize that the VAMP was a research product targeted at the elite of the audiophile world, but this really REALLY needs to be looked at.
Kojaku

Val mentioned several accessories for the upcoming M-100.  I'm wondering if one of those accessories will be a universal portable headphone amp that doesn't break the bank?

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #408 of 710
Quote:
Kojaku

Like i have said all along is that the only bad thing about the vamp is the price and that if the iphone 5 is designed differently your ****ed,but i think v-moda will be back with a more affordable product next time around that works with all idevices in the future and that all this will be for val is just a learning curve! p.s Sabre 32 are the best dac chips you can get but there is the cheaper sabre es9023 and if i were val i would be having a look into them,especially if the company are planning on branching out and taking things to the next level!

Audio DAC Solutions

sabre32.gif
The SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference audio DAC series is the world’s highest performance 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for consumer applications such as Blu-ray player, audio pre-amplifier, A/V receiver and professional applications such as recording systems, mixer consoles and digital audio workstations. With ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference Stereo DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR of up to 135dB and THD+N of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy the most demanding audio enthusiasts.
Device Description Package DNR (dB) THD (dB) I2S/DSD/SPDIF Input
ES9018 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference 32-bit 8-Channel Audio DAC 64LQFP 135 (mono)
133 (stereo)
129 (8ch)
-120 Yes
ES9012 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference 32-bit Stereo Audio DAC 64LQFP 133 -120 Yes
For information about samples or product datasheets, please contact your local ESS Sales Representative.

SABRE_ULTRA.png

The ES9016 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Ultra DAC is the latest addition to the world’s highest performance and critically acclaimed SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] DAC family. With ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream[size=x-small]TM[/size] DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the ES9016 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Ultra DAC delivers spectacular music with an unsurpassed sound stage, with up to 128dB dynamic range and 0.0003% (-110dB) total harmonic distortion, and free from clock jitter common in digital audio systems.
ES9016 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Ultra 32-bit 8-Channel Audio DAC 48-LQFP 128 (2ch)
124 (8ch)
-110 Yes
For information about samples or product datasheets, please contact your local ESS Sales Representative.

SABRE_DAC_lowres.jpg
With Integrated 2Vrms Driver

The SABRE[size=x-small]TM[/size] DAC with integrated ground-centered 2V[size=x-small]rms[/size] driver operates from a single 3.3V power supply to deliver pop-free audio with 112dB of dynamic range, the highest performance of its class. With bill of materials reduced to just a few passive components externally, audiophile sound and quality are now accessible and affordable to any consumer audio products.
Device Description Package DNR (dB) Pop-Free Power Supply
ES9023 SABRE Premier Audio DAC with integrated 2V[size=x-small]rms[/size] Driver 16-SOP 112 Yes 3.3V

SABRE_DAC_lowres.jpg
The SABRE Audio DAC Series is the world’s first 8-channel audio DAC solution to bring true professional digital audio to the mass consumer home entertainment market, setting a new standard for high quality audio performance in a cost effective, compact, easy to use form factor for today’s most demanding digital audio applications.
ES9008 SABRE Reference Audio DAC 64LQFP 134 (mono)
128 (8ch)
-118 Yes
ES9006 SABRE Premier Audio DAC 48LQFP 120 -102 Yes
address.jpg
  Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
© Copyright ESS Technology, Inc. 1997-2011

corp.gif

prod_roll.gif

news.gif

support.gif

contact.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #409 of 710
Val mentioned several accessories for the upcoming M-100.  I'm wondering if one of those accessories will be a universal portable headphone amp that doesn't break the bank?

But see...we already have affordable universal amps made by true geniuses of the amp world. The TTVJ slim can be had for $250 used and it's a top-tier portable. Even the upcoming E12 from FiiO will be a killer porta-amp for the price. The issue here is DAC-Amp combos and the lack of them at affordable prices. I'm not talking about "value", I'm talking sheer price. I know a lot Odis have multi-100 dollar setups, but a DAC-Amp can be made affordable...I know it...

Kojaku

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #410 of 710
Just saw this today. What else should we wish for?

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #412 of 710
Quote:
Like i have said all along is that the only bad thing about the vamp is the price and that if the iphone 5 is designed differently your ****ed,but i think v-moda will be back with a more affordable product next time around that works with all idevices in the future and that all this will be for val is just a learning curve! p.s Sabre 32 are the best dac chips you can get but there is the cheaper sabre es9023 and if i were val i would be having a look into them,especially if the company are planning on branching out and taking things to the next level!

Dude we talked about the full review quotes... put it in a spoiler or something.

Anyway, the DAC chip matters, but there are top tier ones made from many manufacturers, its the implementation that matters the most. Focussing on any single chip be it opamp or dac will lead you down the wrong path, of that I am sure.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #413 of 710
Jul 12, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #414 of 710
Quote:
I'd die for this to be true...

Kojaku

Not to be offensive :p but your a bigger broken record with this then I was with the Denons and impedance mismatching. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #415 of 710
Not to be offensive :p but your a bigger broken record with this then I was with the Denons and impedance mismatching. :tongue_smile:

I'm only this way about it because I've tried to speak to big DAC/amp players in the industry, even maintaining personal contact with some folks at Schiit Audio, and no one, literally NO ONE has been able to express any interest in this untapped market...I think Val is the only one I have faith enough in to listen to people...

Kojaku

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #416 of 710
Quote:
I'm only this way about it because I've tried to speak to big DAC/amp players in the industry, even maintaining personal contact with some folks at Schiit Audio, and no one, literally NO ONE has been able to express any interest in this untapped market...I think Val is the only one I have faith enough in to listen to people...
Kojaku

Well:

iPhone​
Android​
<$200​
Amp only (because of licencing and Good internal dac)​
 DAC+amp possible, only starting to appear now in modded devices, and Jelly bean, some examples around
$200~$400​
nothing nothing 
$400+​
VAMP, fostex HP-P1, CLAS None?

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #417 of 710
Quote:
Well:

iPhone​
Android​
<$200​
 DAC+amp possible, only starting to appear now in modded devices, and Jelly bean, some examples around
$200~$400​
nothing nothing 
$400+​

Don't worry, eventually we'll have more VAMPS coming out.  And I'll have a VAMP UP program for the current model.  So go ahead and buy with confidence, I'll make sure you are happy. Customer is #1, I don't want anybody to feel left out or buyers remorse.  

PS you can use VAMP w extension cable...  But no matter what, we will continue to make this version amp for iPhone 4/4S as those phones are not going away anytime soon even if others do come out.  Plus you don't have to sell it, it can become your "hi-fi"/"app" device as I use mine for now.

PS read this review of VAMP on Men's Journal, pretty cool.  Got a "MJ APPROVED" award.

http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/electronics/an-iphone-case-for-audiophiles-20120705

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #418 of 710
Quote:

Don't worry, eventually we'll have more VAMPS coming out.  And I'll have a VAMP UP program for the current model.  So go ahead and buy with confidence, I'll make sure you are happy. Customer is #1, I don't want anybody to feel left out or buyers remorse.  

PS you can use VAMP w extension cable...  But no matter what, we will continue to make this version amp for iPhone 4/4S as those phones are not going away anytime soon even if others do come out.  Plus you don't have to sell it, it can become your "hi-fi"/"app" device as I use mine for now.

PS read this review of VAMP on Men's Journal, pretty cool.  Got a "MJ APPROVED" award.

http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/electronics/an-iphone-case-for-audiophiles-20120705

I'm not worried, just saying Mr Broken record has a fair point. 

Talking of which I received my VAMP, and I don't have an iPhone  and not interested in getting one, and since I am against selling what you win or are given, I was going to give it to my Mother to use, while she trolls around with her AKG K550, and the new iPhone 4s is going to get. 

But it seems fate had other ideas. My friend was just committed to a psychiatric institution to sort out his medication, he is going to be there for 2 and a half weeks, so I paid him a visit yesterday and brought with my AKG k242HD, and the new Vamp that only arrived the day before, and well after planning horribly, I never got to listen to the VAMP there which is what I wanted to do since he has a new (replacement) iPhone 4S with no music, and the VAMP is not charged. 

But anyway, so I gave him the AKGs and the VAMP for his stay, he is loving it, today when he got to listen to the AKGs with the VAMP he sent me one hell of a blasphemeous   message, he is loving it. 

This is the friend who did the photography that helped me win, so I think I am going to haveto apologise to my mother... I think I am going to give him the VAMP, he deserves it.

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #419 of 710
Hey Val, I just received my VAMP yesterday and have been putting it through it's paces and liking it very much so far. But one thing that really disappoints me is the lack of VAMP playback while charging. Will there ever be a firmware upgrade to fix this?

If not, then this may be a deal breaker for me, especially since it took me a little over six hours yesterday to charge it from being completely empty.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #420 of 710
Quote:
Well:

iPhone​
Android​
<$200​
$200~$400​
nothing nothing 
$400+​

Good chart! But for those that don't know about it, this chart represents the portable side of things. There are sub hundred dollar devices(like i river) and a few others along the range(albeit not very known) that can and has lisencing ability to bypass the iPod or iOS devices own DAC and amp , although they are desktop use which at that point in my case..would be redundant for my use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back