V-MODA M-100 & VTF-100 Appreciation Thread: Images, Impressions, Reviews.
Oct 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #260 of 925
That's not the normal street price, is it? They're listed as being around $160 everywhere else I look, including other Amazon listings. Are you sure they don't just happen to be on sale for the moment?

You have a point though. The M50 is a serious bang-for-buck headphone. Especially for a little more than a Benjamin.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #261 of 925
Quote:
That's not the normal street price, is it? They're listed as being around $160 everywhere else I look, including other Amazon listings. Are you sure they don't just happen to be on sale for the moment?

You have a point though. The M50 is a serious bang-for-buck headphone. Especially for a little more than a Benjamin.

The M50S' have been around 110-130 for the past month at least. I see them every time I look at any headphone on Amazon.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #262 of 925
Not to mention The Sound Professionalss has had them anywhere between $100-$130 for the longest. M50 prices have been pretty nice lately. I can't wait to read reviews/impressions for the M-100s, hopefully the sound will be just as stellar (if not more) for the price as my beloved M50s.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #263 of 925
Yup, I've repeatedly seen them for around $100 lately. I really hope these V-Moda cans are worth the extra $$$. But, I doubt they'll disappoint. I'm STOKED!!! :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #264 of 925
While I'm not doubting that the M-100 will have a great sound signature (like the M-80 does), I am doubting whether or not everything else will be good. 

ie, detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, PRaT, etc...

My ears can adjust to sound signatures. The other factors are the important part in my book. It's the reason why the Pioneer SE-700 is currently my most-listened headphone, even though the sound signature is weird as hell, it does all of the other things I listed so well that I can't stop listening.

The M-80 was very lacking in these areas when I tried it. I'm expecting the M-100 to be the same.

We'll see though.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #265 of 925
While I'm not doubting that the M-100 will have a great sound signature (like the M-80 does), I am doubting whether or not everything else will be good. 

ie, detail retrieval, soundstage, imaging, PRaT, etc...

The M-80 was very lacking in these areas when I tried it. I'm expecting the M-100 to be the same.

Not to indulge in diplomatic doublespeak, but I think you should put this into perspective. The M-80/M-100 both primarily target an audience that wants appealing (or borderline ostentatious) headphones while commuting; otherwise, I doubt V-Moda would bother to include such nice cases. If they're geared towards mobile use, detail retrieval, imaging, etc. already fall under the radar. Instead of trying to improve aspects that wouldn't, and couldn't, be appreciated by many who buy the M-100 most of the time, V-Moda likely chose to focus on areas that would capitalize on its intended use.
edit: Just to clarify, I'm not trying to say that your criticisms are silly (they aren't), or even that hoping for better detail retrieval, soundstage, etc. is inane (it isn't). This is a just a common, safe business strategy many companies employ.

That's the normal street price, not a sale price. He quoted the price of an ATH-M50S, while you quoted the price of an ATH-M50. The only difference between the two models is the cable (straight or coiled, respectively); regardless, other coiled M50 alternatives fall under $125. Also, I checked Amazon: the most expensive alternative isn't $160; it's $145.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #266 of 925
Quote:

Not to indulge in diplomatic doublespeak, but I think you should put this into perspective. The M-80/M-100 both primarily target an audience that wants appealing (or borderline ostentatious) headphones while commuting; otherwise, I doubt V-Moda would bother to include such nice cases. If they're geared towards mobile use, detail retrieval, imaging, etc. already fall under the radar. Instead of trying to improve aspects that wouldn't, and couldn't, be appreciated by many who buy the M-100 most of the time, V-Moda likely chose to focus on areas that would capitalize on its intended use.
edit: Just to clarify, I'm not trying to say that your criticisms are silly (they aren't), or even that hoping for better detail retrieval, soundstage, etc. is inane (it isn't). This is a just a common, safe business strategy many companies employ.

I primarily develop our headphones for mobile  and portable device use as our society seems to be increasingly "on the go", but we actually just aim to have the highest consumer satisfaction index overall for many consumer "use cases".  Why do you think we "use cases"?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #267 of 925
I think it's better to have two purpose built headphones (in my case, AKG Q701 and V-MODA M-100) than a jack of all trades headphone.

Unix philosophy: build something to do one thing and do it well.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #268 of 925
Quote:
I think it's better to have two purpose built headphones (in my case, AKG Q701 and V-MODA M-100) than a jack of all trades headphone.

I agree, Jack of all trades master of SOME is what I've been saying lately.

For instance, when I DJ (rarer and rarer lately), I think LP/LP2 are the best and flashier too.

On the other hand, check out this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Man

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #269 of 925

asdfasdf way to copy my thinking.

I was JUST thinking of getting a K/Q701 and I posted it on the recommendations thread...can't decide to get the K701 for an accurate cosplay of Mio from the anime K-On, or the more refined Q701.

K/Q701 will be my "home" reference can.
SRH940 is the "portable" version of the K/Q701.
M-100 might be my balanced headphone/jack of all trades.
Sennheiser HD238 will be my "home" basshead can.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #270 of 925
Quote:
asdfasdf way to copy my thinking.
I was JUST thinking of getting a K/Q701 and I posted it on the recommendations thread...can't decide to get the K701 for an accurate cosplay of Mio from the anime K-On, or the more refined Q701.
K/Q701 will be my "home" reference can.
SRH940 is the "portable" version of the K/Q701.
M-100 might be my balanced headphone/jack of all trades.
Sennheiser HD238 will be my "home" basshead can.

I am looking at multiple headphones for genre vs. application.  I'm thinking M-100 for modern music and TBD for my 60's and 70's soft rock/lighter vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back