V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 3, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #16,921 of 23,366
  Regarding the XL pads, I just realized I installed seam up.  Does it matter?  I feel like I pressed my luck regarding potential damage just switching out once and prefer not to reverse the position if there is no need.  The thickness seems symmetrical, so I'm thinking the difference is only cosmetic.

I doubt it matters, outside of it being a pain to get them on upside down.  There's a little flat spot on the plastic shell of the pad (on the inside), that you have to match up on the bottom of the headphone...so it probably should be the correct way (with the seam down).  Otherwise it would just be universal and wouldn't have that indentation.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #16,922 of 23,366

I doubt it matters, outside of it being a pain to get them on upside down.  There's a little flat spot on the plastic shell of the pad (on the inside), that you have to match up on the bottom of the headphone...so it probably should be the correct way (with the seam down).  Otherwise it would just be universal and wouldn't have that indentation.

Thanks, a single sheet instruction page would have been nice for V-Moda to include.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #16,924 of 23,366
Would you recommend getting the XL Pads if you have little to no comfort issues, but would like to have a more balanced sound? I feel as though at some points the bass can be overwhelming (depending on the song)

Yes.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #16,925 of 23,366
Just got my XL pads and they're extremely comfortable :). The sound has changed, but I'm not sure how to describe the change. The only disappointment is that the XL pads didn't come in a box :frowning2: missing out on that great feeling of opening the box to something brand new and awesome ....

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #16,926 of 23,366
LPs with XL pads...  Might be thinking on this for a while.

As an aside, is there any chance someone has a spare LP case?  Mine officially went bust two days ago, and I am not too keen on bringing the LPs without them or the $23 price tag.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #16,927 of 23,366
Thanks, a single sheet instruction page would have been nice for V-Moda to include.

Totally agree. I didn't even notice until after I put them both on...the opposite of each other. Then I took the one off w the seam up and noticed it was the one that was harder to get on and the indentation was at the bottom. They should definitely include something.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #16,928 of 23,366
XL pads with the Faders is pretty not uncomfortable. Though the treble is pretty much gone, the midrange pretty recessed, and the bass is bloated, there's a ton of noise isolation. I could pretty much only hear the hum of the bus engine and a few people talking nearby (I couldn't understand them though). I think the combo would be great for airplane trips!

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #16,929 of 23,366
XL pads with the Faders is pretty not uncomfortable. Though the treble is pretty much gone, the midrange pretty recessed, and the bass is bloated, there's a ton of noise isolation. I could pretty much only hear the hum of the bus engine and a few people talking nearby (I couldn't understand them though). I think the combo would be great for airplane trips!

Even though the sound is not great, for an airplane is recommendable, specially for movies and things like that. I enjoyed it in my last flights to Spain (10-14hr depending on the route). In fact, I now use it as isolation with other cans. 
biggrin.gif

I´ve been considering these guys for long now:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS

Apparently the reduction of noise is equally distributed along all the spectrum.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #16,930 of 23,366
Totally agree. I didn't even notice until after I put them both on...the opposite of each other. Then I took the one off w the seam up and noticed it was the one that was harder to get on and the indentation was at the bottom. They should definitely include something.

While V-Moda does many things right, they seem to be dropping the ball on details.  I have been waiting for over two months for a replacement of a cracked wingplate.  In a few weeks I plan to attend the Philly headphone meet with my M-100 and when everyone asks about the tape holding my wingplate together, I will need to explain to others who may be considering the M-100 that the wingplates are fragile and I have been waiting for months for a replacement.  I would rather focus on the sound.

Oct 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #16,931 of 23,366
Would you recommend getting the XL Pads if you have little to no comfort issues, but would like to have a more balanced sound? I feel as though at some points the bass can be overwhelming (depending on the song)

Yes, with the XL pads, the M-100 sounds uncannily similar to the PSB M4U line and the NAD HP50.  However, bassheads should avoid the XL pads since the M-100 loses a bit of the mid-bass punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back