V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #16,906 of 23,366

Hey! another canadian!! just curious how'd u get into vmoda products, did you demo them? or did you buy em straight from vmoda?

i'm looking into some m80s or val intends to update them whatever the newly updated is probably. but amazon.ca is ridiculous and amazon.com doesn't ship em up here

There aren't any places to demo V-Moda products in Canada as far as I know unless you go to a Head-Fi meet. I wanted a bass-centric, fun pair of cans for portability and the M-100s seemed to fit the bill best so I took a chance and ordered them when I saw Amazon.com had a sale (had to return 2 pairs though because of defective hinges on both). Amazon.com actually does ship V-Moda products to Canada, but you have to buy it directly from them (sold and shipped from Amazon). 

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #16,907 of 23,366

Hey! another canadian!! just curious how'd u get into vmoda products, did you demo them? or did you buy em straight from vmoda?

i'm looking into some m80s or val intends to update them whatever the newly updated is probably. but amazon.ca is ridiculous and amazon.com doesn't ship em up here

There aren't any places to demo V-Moda products in Canada as far as I know unless you go to a Head-Fi meet. I wanted a bass-centric, fun pair of cans for portability and the M-100s seemed to fit the bill best so I took a chance and ordered them when I saw Amazon.com had a sale (had to return 2 pairs though because of defective hinges on both). Amazon.com actually does ship V-Moda products to Canada, but you have to buy it directly from them (sold and shipped from Amazon). 

Sure you can, at the Headphone Bar. Head-Fier TwinQY tried the M-100 there as well as the JDS Labs C5 and enjoyed the pairing.

http://www.headphonebar.com

Also, the XL pads seem to isolate about as much as the original pads from what I can remember. I'm still listening to my music at volume level 1/62, high gain and bass boost on with the C5 with no real problems hearing the music on a public bus.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #16,908 of 23,366
Sure you can, at the Headphone Bar. Head-Fier TwinQY tried the M-100 there as well as the JDS Labs C5 and enjoyed the pairing.

http://www.headphonebar.com

Also, the XL pads seem to isolate about as much as the original pads from what I can remember. I'm still listening to my music at volume level 1/62, high gain and bass boost on with the C5 with no real problems hearing the music on a public bus.

Ah, true. Forgot about Headphone Bar, but that's only available if you live around Vancouver since they don't have any other locations. If you want to demo them anywhere else in Canada, such as in Toronto like myself, you'll have to buy them off Amazon or V-Moda directly for their return policy.

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #16,909 of 23,366
I received my gray XL pads today and agree these are not only the pads that should have come with the M-100, but IMO every M-100 produced after today should come standard with XL pads.  They fully cover my ears and I would say the M-100 is now as comfortable as the most comfortable portables on the market.  The sound absolutely changes and I think the change will be different for different people.  To my ears, the XL pads shift the M-100 from more basshead to more audiophile sound.  Bass is tamed a bit.  Highs are more pronounced.  Upper mids are a bit more forward.

Suggestion for Val:

Audiophile edition with XL pads

DJ edition with standard pads and coiled cable

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #16,911 of 23,366
  I received my gray XL pads today and agree these are not only the pads that should have come with the M-100, but IMO every M-100 produced after today should come standard with XL pads.  They fully cover my ears and I would say the M-100 is now as comfortable as the most comfortable portables on the market.  The sound absolutely changes and I think the change will be different for different people.  To my ears, the XL pads shift the M-100 from more basshead to more audiophile sound.  Bass is tamed a bit.  Highs are more pronounced.  Upper mids are a bit more forward.

Suggestion for Val:

Audiophile edition with XL pads

DJ edition with standard pads and coiled cable

It is interesting to offer 2 versions of the M-100. The sound is definitely different for everyone, I've found the bass tamed and the highs more pronounced but I thought the mids were more recessed, One of my coworkers with the M-100 said that  with the XL pads they were fairly flat... Tyll's remeasure/re-review of the m-100 would be interesting 

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #16,912 of 23,366
Interesting how we all hear things differently. The bass is definitely more present with my XL pads. Walking around campus the bass guitar and drum pedals are more pronounced. Likewise I have the opposite experience with the treble, it seems to have been tamed down such that I can listen to this song endlessly without getting fatigued one bit, a problem I had with the normal pads. And the mids are a bit more laid-back as the singer's voice seems more distant to me compared to the sock pads.

^ I loooove that anime! <3

Dat treble...as characteristic with a lot of anisong music. XD

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #16,913 of 23,366
Oh god, have I missed the XL pads now? I leave this board for 1 month and look what happens!

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #16,914 of 23,366
Has anyone else noticed a slight increase in soundstage with the XL pads? I feel like they really help round out the sound with slightly less pronounced bass and slightly brighter highs.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #16,916 of 23,366

Ah, true. Forgot about Headphone Bar, but that's only available if you live around Vancouver since they don't have any other locations. If you want to demo them anywhere else in Canada, such as in Toronto like myself, you'll have to buy them off Amazon or V-Moda directly for their return policy.

i'm in toronto too theres nothing here... Val come to toronto! you have a huge market waiting to be tapped into. We're still still back in in the stoneages with the beats studios and solos roaming all over!

yea i don't think 1 store sells it.

i just checked amazon.com and your right they do ship to toronto.. but the prices are so much more expensive then us prices like i see us its 299.99 for m100s and the only that ships to canada is like 359.99+ 40 shipping  ridiculous!

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #16,917 of 23,366
  Has anyone else noticed a slight increase in soundstage with the XL pads? I feel like they really help round out the sound with slightly less pronounced bass and slightly brighter highs.

Yes, listening to Counting Crows and picking that up.  I am thinking I prefer the sonic changes with the XL pads in addition to the comfort.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #16,918 of 23,366
Regarding the XL pads, I just realized I installed seam up.  Does it matter?  I feel like I pressed my luck regarding potential damage just switching out once and prefer not to reverse the position if there is no need.  The thickness seems symmetrical, so I'm thinking the difference is only cosmetic.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #16,919 of 23,366
Well, I'm back in the M100 camp.  Bought a used pair of Shadow, ordered the grey XL pads, and now I await. 

I'm looking forward to the improved comfort! 

Good job Val. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #16,920 of 23,366
  Well, I'm back in the M100 camp.  Bought a used pair of Shadow, ordered the grey XL pads, and now I await. 

I'm looking forward to the improved comfort! 

Good job Val. 

M-100 w/XL pads have been over my ears for about three hours with zero discomfort.  I actually think I need to own two M-100's- one with standard pads for hip hop, R&B and pop; another with XL pads for everything else, literally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back