V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #15,001 of 23,366
Quote:
Thats good to know..If the comfort is close to the edition 8 then i am happy..I can't wear my M100 for more than an hour which is sad because i quite like the sound of them. Now need to look around for the best price..

If you like the sound of the M-100 and Edition 8, along with an appreciation for quality bass, I have no doubt you will thoroughly enjoy the Sig DJ.  Treble is in between M-100 and Edition 8; bass impact and presentation is superior to both.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #15,002 of 23,366
Quote:
I am now a big believer in the value of amps.  M-100 direct through my Iphone is good, but through Verza, the sound improves significantly.  I imagine the improvement is similar with other quality amps. 

I noticed this forum is about to hit 1,000 pages so that says something about the M-100.  I recall early excitement about the Tiesto line and that forum has died on the vine.  I see the Momentum, MDR-1R and Mad Dog threads continue to have an impressive flow of posts as well.

I couldn't agree more with this point. The 100's sound so much better with my c5 amp than by itself. Also, I tried the momentums, but found them to be a tad boring for my tastes and how I like to listen to music.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #15,003 of 23,366
I have the boom-mic pro already. I like it. I do want to try the Beyer version though. The only problem is that I don't think it will fit into the port of the M-100s. So you'd have to get an adapter, which I'm not sure they make. But the mic on the Beyer is many times nicer. 

As for The Mad Dogs and any variation of the T50RP, it isn't that I dislike the sound, it is that I want an open pair for home use. This is just what I am looking for. 
Where did you find a boom pro mic that will fit the M100 ? I'm very interested

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #15,004 of 23,366
I am now a big believer in the value of amps.  M-100 direct through my Iphone is good, but through Verza, the sound improves significantly.  I imagine the improvement is similar with other quality amps. 

I noticed this forum is about to hit 1,000 pages so that says something about the M-100.  I recall early excitement about the Tiesto line and that forum has died on the vine.  I see the Momentum, MDR-1R and Mad Dog threads continue to have an impressive flow of posts as well.

1. Thanks again for continued civility. Should be the standard but unfortunately that's not always the case these days.
2. I'm amping with a FiiO e12 and they sound amazing to me. I would highly recommend a good amp to anyone with these. I agree the sound is good without, but with an amp it's wonderful. I am not an audiophile or music producer and I prefer music with a punchy detailed bass line.
3. If you flatten the headband it helps the comfort/break-in period. They are now on my head 2-3 hrs at a time while I block out my fellow employees lol
4 I'm curious about how the mad dogs compare to these. I think that will be my next addition as I like what I've read about them. I want another closed set, decent price, good detail, comfortable

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #15,007 of 23,366
Quote:
Sonically, M-100 has spoiled me in this regard in that every other headphone in the $300 range sounds boring (bass-light and/or rolled-off highs) to me by comparison, but I hear what you are saying about the comfort as it is less than ideal.

Same here Craigster75! This headphone as been an awesome experience and thanks! You were one of the people that help me decide to get this awesome headphone! 

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #15,008 of 23,366
Quote:
I couldn't agree more with this point. The 100's sound so much better with my c5 amp than by itself.

you know, at the beginning i couldnt understand what people were talking about. i thought the m-100 sounded just fine out of my sIII and couldnt really detect any difference between that and my O2. but ive been using the m-100 portably more often, and let me tell you, when i come home, and plug them back into my O2 i immediately notice the improvement! of course, this isnt "night and day", i think it takes someone with a deep appreciation of every detail in his music collection (such as an audiophile) to notice the difference. im sure if i let one of my roommates try they wouldnt hear a thing.
i find the soundstage improves drastically, and the bass texture becomes deeper and more pronounced. thats my impression at any rate. i may start actually using one of my portable amps 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #15,009 of 23,366
Quote:
you know, at the beginning i couldnt understand what people were talking about. i thought the m-100 sounded just fine out of my sIII and couldnt really detect any difference between that and my O2. but ive been using the m-100 portably more often, and let me tell you, when i come home, and plug them back into my O2 i immediately notice the improvement! of course, this isnt "night and day", i think it takes someone with a deep appreciation of every detail in his music collection (such as an audiophile) to notice the difference. im sure if i let one of my roommates try they wouldnt hear a thing.
i find the soundstage improves drastically, and the bass texture becomes deeper and more pronounced. thats my impression at any rate. i may start actually using one of my portable amps 
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, anyone judging M-100 on sound exclusively through their portable device isn't hearing the M-100 at their full potential. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #15,011 of 23,366
I am not sure why you rate the M-100 so high for vocals craigster because they do not sound very realistic due to the uneven treble, they are quite smooth and not harsh but vocals do not sound very realistic, I would say the M-100 sound good as long as you are not trying to reproduce anything real, eg. voices, instruments etc. Anything electronic or synthesized and they work well.

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #15,012 of 23,366
I appologise that the last post was not a positive comment about these, I hope this does not offend anyone looking to the thread for re-enforcement of their purchase. I was merely looking to discuss the sound of the headphones.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #15,013 of 23,366
Quote:
I am not sure why you rate the M-100 so high for vocals craigster because they do not sound very realistic due to the uneven treble, they are quite smooth and not harsh but vocals do not sound very realistic, I would say the M-100 sound good as long as you are not trying to reproduce anything real, eg. voices, instruments etc. Anything electronic or synthesized and they work well.

Quote:
I appologise that the last post was not a positive comment about these, I hope this does not offend anyone looking to the thread for re-enforcement of their purchase. I was merely looking to discuss the sound of the headphones.

No need for patronizing or sarcasm either.  What I don't think you are grasping based on feedback from others is that it is not what you are saying, but how you are saying it.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  I just happen to completely disagree with your assessment as I consider their vocal presentation to be one of the more organic reproductions I have heard in their price range.  The mids are slightly laid back, but I hear their vocals as spot-on.  With V-Moda's generous return policy, no one on this thread who is keeping them is forced to accept buyer's remorse.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #15,014 of 23,366
I agree but initially I was being perfectly nice and just expressing my views on the headphones, this then escalated after other people started making snidy comments at me basically due to the fact I was saying anything negative about the headphones. If this thread was called "appreciation thread" I would not have said the comments, but this thread is called "discussion and feedback" I was never rude or anything until people started attacking me for my comments which are completely valid and relevant to the headphones.

I suppose that everyone hears differently but from reading the insane amount of comments on this thread I was kind of expecting headphones which offered groundbreaking sound quality, but they have a sound signature which sounds good with some songs, although other than the durability and aesthetics they do not really offer anything that is that impressive for me anyway, at £280. If they could keep the bass response, improve the lower midrange, and even out the treble a bit, as well as sorting out the comfort, I think they would be more worthy of the hype.

Durability        10/10
Aesthetics        9/10
Comfort            2/10
Bass                 8/10
Midrange          6/10
Treble               6/10
Soundstage      7/10
Overall sound   7/10

Just my impressions.

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #15,015 of 23,366
I agree but initially I was being perfectly nice and just expressing my views on the headphones, this then escalated after other people started making snidy comments at me basically due to the fact I was saying anything negative about the headphones. If this thread was called "appreciation thread" I would not have said the comments, but this thread is called "discussion and feedback" I was never rude or anything until people started attacking me for my comments which are completely valid and relevant to the headphones.

I suppose that everyone hears differently but from reading the insane amount of comments on this thread I was kind of expecting headphones which offered groundbreaking sound quality, but they have a sound signature which sounds good with some songs, although other than the durability and aesthetics they do not really offer anything that is that impressive for me anyway, at £280. If they could keep the bass response, improve the lower midrange, and even out the treble a bit, as well as sorting out the comfort, I think they would be more worthy of the hype.

Durability        10/10
Aesthetics        9/10
Comfort            2/10
Bass                 9/10
Midrange          6/10
Treble               6/10
Soundstage      7/10
Overall sound   7/10

Just my impressions.

this might solve your comfort issues
if done correctly it sets the bass back a little bit and lets the mids come through.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/668108/vmoda-lp2-m100-mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back