V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jun 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #15,031 of 23,366
Quote:
I could have saved a great deal of time and money if I had the foresight to go for the Ultrasone Signature DJ out of the gate, but I suppose it's also about the journey.

Not everyone has $1k+ to spend on a portable set of headphones.

Hell I only spent less than a 1/10th of that on my M-100s (yet another reason why I went with them over any others, the deal was too good to pass up).

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #15,033 of 23,366

Not everyone has $1k+ to spend on a portable set of headphones.

Hell I only spent less than a 1/10th of that on my M-100s (yet another reason why I went with them over any others, the deal was too good to pass up).

Were you one of the people who got the M-100 at the Apple/Microsoft employee price? I forget who's who :)

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #15,035 of 23,366
Now I just want something like the M-80-II, or the M-180. This will be a headphone that has M-80 size (or a little bit bigger, something between on-ear and over-ear) but collapsible, has the dual-port and daisy chain ability, has M-100 case (but smaller of course) has m-100 bass, m-80 mid and m-100 treb :D

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #15,036 of 23,366
Quote:

Were you one of the people who got the M-100 at the Apple/Microsoft employee price? I forget who's who :)

Yes, but I work at neither.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #15,037 of 23,366
Hello Headfiers,

My first post here.. though I been lurking around for quite a while to read all the 1000 pages :) Apparently this thread made me buy this headphone. Thanks for all the reviews and the debate, however, lately it's sad to see debates turning into arguments. I thought it only happens in the mobile phone forums until I saw here. 

Anyways, as I mentioned, this thread help me buy the m100's and I been using it for a couple of weeks. I was not quite happy with the SQ of the stock music player of ipod and was looking for an alternative, happy to find this really good player called 'Radsone'. You must try if you haven't already. I have also ordered for pa2v2, hope it arrives this week and improves the SQ of the m100's.(I actually ordered these before I discovered Radsone). 

I must tell, comfort is an issue here. Although I can't write off saying it's uncomfortable, it rather improves in time. The more you wear it, the more it gets comfortable. So do not get disappointed at an early stage. Give it some time, you won't remove it at all but occasionally just take off a little bit to let air pass into your ears. Well that's the case with any headphones, right?

I am happy with my purchase, although I would've liked it to be priced at about $250-$275. I don't have much else to say than this because I am new to this world, I thought I'l just post this to say thanks to all of you and request to put an end to unnecessary arguments. Let's just
dt880smile.png

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #15,038 of 23,366
Quote:
Also with every replacements, the more I spend 310-350-800 LOL

I've spent quite a bit on headphones as well.  The M100 definitely teaches you something about headphone sound.  It is also quite polarizing because of its sound.  I would be really curious if anyone here owns both the M100 and an orthodynamic with a much different frequency response, something like the LCD-2/3 or HE-400/500 or Mad Dogs, and listens to both regularly.  I'd like to know what they like about the sound of each.  

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #15,039 of 23,366
Hello Headfiers,

My first post here.. though I been lurking around for quite a while to read all the 1000 pages :) Apparently this thread made me buy this headphone. Thanks for all the reviews and the debate, however, lately it's sad to see debates turning into arguments. I thought it only happens in the mobile phone forums until I saw here. 

Anyways, as I mentioned, this thread help me buy the m100's and I been using it for a couple of weeks. I was not quite happy with the SQ of the stock music player of ipod and was looking for an alternative, happy to find this really good player called 'Radsone'. You must try if you haven't already. I have also ordered for pa2v2, hope it arrives this week and improves the SQ of the m100's.(I actually ordered these before I discovered Radsone). 

I must tell, comfort is an issue here. Although I can't write off saying it's uncomfortable, it rather improves in time. The more you wear it, the more it gets comfortable. So do not get disappointed at an early stage. Give it some time, you won't remove it at all but occasionally just take off a little bit to let air pass into your ears. Well that's the case with any headphones, right?

I am happy with my purchase, although I would've liked it to be priced at about $250-$275. I don't have much else to say than this because I am new to this world, I thought I'l just post this to say thanks to all of you and request to put an end to unnecessary arguments. Let's just
dt880smile.png

Welcome to Head-Fi! (And sorry about your wallet etc). I have Radsone as well. It's a bit pricey compared to other EQ apps for iPhone but I got it as the free app of the day. It's quite good in that the player is closest to having the full features of the stock player of all EQ apps I've tried. The EQ is only 10 bands but very decent sounding. The soundstage enhancer sounds gimmicky when you turn it up too high but it's not bad at the Hi-Fi setting.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #15,041 of 23,366
Quote:

:O How did you pull that off?

Long story short, I work in a store that sells them. Val, Karl and Jude (yes our Jude) came in with some Verzas to demo. And he told me personally that I could get the deal.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #15,042 of 23,366
Quote:
Now I just want something like the M-80-II, or the M-180. This will be a headphone that has M-80 size (or a little bit bigger, something between on-ear and over-ear) but collapsible, has the dual-port and daisy chain ability, has M-100 case (but smaller of course) has m-100 bass, m-80 mid and m-100 treb
biggrin.gif

If you take an M-100 and boost the mids with a parametric EQ, you can cover everything on your list except the M-80 size.   

[Slightly OT] Or, you could take the B&W P5 in your avatar photo and boost the treble near and above 10kHz.  Totally different form factor, but it travels smaller than the M-80, is physically thinner than the M-100 when stored, and has the bass you desire.  [/Slightly OT]

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #15,044 of 23,366
Also with every replacements, the more I spend 310-350-800 LOL

I've spent quite a bit on headphones as well.  The M100 definitely teaches you something about headphone sound.  It is also quite polarizing because of its sound.  I would be really curious if anyone here owns both the M100 and an orthodynamic with a much different frequency response, something like the LCD-2/3 or HE-400/500 or Mad Dogs, and listens to both regularly.  I'd like to know what they like about the sound of each.  

ok so in compairson m100 vs my modded fostext50rp...

as far as clarity is concerned the t50 is a winner
t50 is more analytical
the m100 has boosted bass and highs causing the midrange to sound "thinner" than the t50(most of its energy goes towards the mid bass/sub bass)
vocals on the m100 have less of a presence and are thinner than the t50
t50 has around 10DB less bass than m100s starting from 250hz all the way back, but better quality and extends lower.
the mid range of the t50rp is much more flat and balanced than m100.
in summary though the m100 is my favorite portable can and are awesome for edm.
if you mostly listen to edm and are on the move go for the m100s although its not as impressive with other genres in my opinion but still very acceptable
fostex are not very portable because they NEED an amp
not saying the m100 does not benefit greatly from an amplifier though
in short i love them both!
its like two different flavors of ice cream
m100= a giant bowl of your favorite ice cream
t50rp= a refined 4 corse meal loaded with layers of flavor that is the perfect amount of food
both are appealing in different ways
both have limitations
nether one is better than the other overall.
the m100 is like that hot girl that only wants to have fun and go party all the time
the T50rp is somewhat less attractive and hard to get out of the house but she will provide you with some of the most interesting conversation you've ever herd
having both is harmony

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #15,045 of 23,366
Great post all around, but I have to call out one passage in particular:  
Quote:
both are appealing in different ways
both have limitations
nether one is better than the other overall.

This.  Actually, I should have admitted that I also have a planar orthodynamic, which in this case is the Fostex T50RP modded with the Alpha Dog pads from Mr. Speakers, which improves their bass response somewhat from stock.  My observations are very close to yours.  T50RP/Alpha Dog Pads sounds more accurate, whereas for some genres, particularly rock/pop vocals with some compression on them, the M100 sounds better.  

I would say too that the real limitation of the T50RP is its inefficiency. They simply don't sound good without a decent amp, and I have a Fiio E12 that powers them but only with the +10dB gain switch on (which is a pain to switch back and forth since all my other headphones need the standard 0dB gain setting, including the M100).   The M100 sounds decent with any stock music player, and really sings with an outboard amp without being hard to drive.    

But the two flavors argument is spot on, IMO.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back