V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #13,036 of 23,366
I guess if you PM around here, you might able to get someone to sell the M-100 to you slightly used.  So that may be another way for you to get a pair without paying $300.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #13,039 of 23,366
Quote:
Think this topic has gone on for too long.

The poll will only lead to detract potential buyers. I made a post that will hopefully give light to the fact that I'm patiently waiting for the XL pads.
It's no secret that bigger pads are being released. Val is doing his best to get them ready, so regardless of the issue now, the fact is, its being fixed, so the topic of design flaw/majority discomfort is moot until the new pads come out. This topic had already been discussed at length prior to Val going into development with the new pads, so we should all just take a sit down, and let Val do this, without pages of discomfort bickering. It's gotten to the point of statistic pulling and finite measurements, which are objectively good, but we all know that new larger pads are on their way.

Patience is a virtue, as much as I'd like to wear my cans all day if I want to, I can't, but the knowledge of the XL pads keep my negative feedback on the issue at bay. I don't think its a design flaw so much as an oversight in the memory foam compression along with time usage variance between each user.

V-MODA made a fantastic headphone, and have just as great customer feedback. They've heard us already, we need bigger pads. Let's focus on that, instead of continually giving negative feedback on an issue that's being dealt with.

I agree. I definitely don't want to detract potential buyers as these headphones are a great overall package in my personal opinion, and I would highly recommend any potential buyers to give the M100s a spin.

I am also really happy to see that V-Moda is a company that takes customer feedback seriously and is currently making a move to alleviate the issue. You really can't ask for anything more from a company. I cannot wait for the XL pads to get released.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #13,041 of 23,366
Like everything in life, Everyone wants to find perfection, but nothing can be absolute perfect. So what do we do!? we focus on the negative and dwell dwell dwell. It will always over shine the positive!

Its hard to look at the good things and over weigh the bad things i guess. This is the hardest battle of life!

Look on the bright side!, the pads are change-a-ble! or something can be done. so lets stay positive and give some people a chance before you go and spoil it. (V-MODA and new customers)

Everyone has an opinion! and has the rights to their own. Only suggestion is to try it out for yourself! Just like buying a car.

yes 300 dollars its a lot of money!, but if you can slightly make a better headphones with the budget of 300 bucks, KUDOs to you! my friend Kudos!

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #13,044 of 23,366
Quote:
Like everything in life, Everyone wants to find perfection, but nothing can be absolute perfect. So what do we do!? we focus on the negative and dwell dwell dwell. It will always over shine the positive!

Its hard to look at the good things and over weigh the bad things i guess. This is the hardest battle of life!

Look on the bright side!, the pads are change-a-ble! or something can be done. so lets stay positive and give some people a chance before you go and spoil it. (V-MODA and new customers)

Everyone has an opinion! and has the rights to their own. Only suggestion is to try it out for yourself! Just like buying a car.

yes 300 dollars its a lot of money!, but if you can slightly make a better headphones with the budget of 300 bucks, KUDOs to you! my friend Kudos!

Ironically enough.....
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/28/pessimists-live-longer-lives-study_n_2781598.html

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #13,046 of 23,366
It seems to me like the comfort issue is getting blown way out of proportion all of the sudden (and I was one of the first to complain about it!)

It is not an inherent design flaw -- If the issue is comfort, you can't argue that because the depth is more shallow than the "typical" human ear it's a flaw when the majority of the people either don't find the driver pushing on their ear uncomfortable or they don't touch.  They are designed to be comfortable for the majority of folks and based on over a thousand reviews from the LP, LP2, and M-100 (all essentially the same dimensions) they are.  How it get's to be "comfortable" is irrelevant if for the majority of the people it is.  You similarly can't argue that the iPhone has a design flaw because it's hard for some people to type on the little touch keys without glasses.  It was designed to be useable by the masses, which it clearly is.

It's also (according to Val) not a trivial thing to design the pads.  He went through tons of prototypes for the original M-100 and is doing it again for the XL pads.  He has said repeatedly he won't release anything he's not going to use himself, so expect the XL pads to give us a sound quality he is happy with.  To me, that's worth waiting for and I have been waiting since the original VTF pre-order.

I am not sure why people have already decided it's going to be prohibitively expensive to buy the XL pads and are getting angry about it...Val has already stated in this thread it will be "almost" free to existing customers.  We don't know how he's doing that, but based on the fact he is selling VAMP VERZA at manufacturing cost to existing VAMP owners, just to thank them for their patronage, I think we are fine.  As an aside on that, from a business perspective, he is saying thank you at a large potential loss to his company.  VAMP VERZA is a pretty niche product and the largest pool of initial purchasers is going to be existing VAMP owners looking to upgrade.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #13,047 of 23,366
Quote:
It seems to me like the comfort issue is getting blown way out of proportion all of the sudden (and I was one of the first to complain about it!)

It is not an inherent design flaw -- If the issue is comfort, you can't argue that because the depth is more shallow than the "typical" human ear it's a flaw when the majority of the people either don't find the driver pushing on their ear uncomfortable or they don't touch.  They are designed to be comfortable for the majority of folks and based on over a thousand reviews from the LP, LP2, and M-100 (all essentially the same dimensions) they are.  How it get's to be "comfortable" is irrelevant if for the majority of the people it is.  You similarly can't argue that the iPhone has a design flaw because it's hard for some people to type on the little touch keys without glasses.  It was designed to be useable by the masses, which it clearly is.

It's also (according to Val) not a trivial thing to design the pads.  He went through tons of prototypes for the original M-100 and is doing it again for the XL pads.  He has said repeatedly he won't release anything he's not going to use himself, so expect the XL pads to give us a sound quality he is happy with.  To me, that's worth waiting for and I have been waiting since the original VTF pre-order.

I am not sure why people have already decided it's going to be prohibitively expensive to buy the XL pads and are getting angry about it...Val has already stated in this thread it will be "almost" free to existing customers.  We don't know how he's doing that, but based on the fact he is selling VAMP VERZA at manufacturing cost to existing VAMP owners, just to thank them for their patronage, I think we are fine.  As an aside on that, from a business perspective, he is saying thank you at a large potential loss to his company.  VAMP VERZA is a pretty niche product and the largest pool of initial purchasers is going to be existing VAMP owners looking to upgrade.

wow, well said.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #13,048 of 23,366
Quote:
I am wondering if you currently have the M100s and if you personally found that you could wear the M100s for extended periods of time without discomfort. I don't think that anyone would disagree that the earcups are extremely shallow.

I do have them and the Momentums.  I do not experience discomfort.  The longest I wear them for is an hour and a half.  

I like your idea of a poll, but you do realize that the only people who would vote in your poll would be head-fi-ers currently following this thread or head-fi-ers very interested in the M100 comfort issue. So the sampling would be inherently biased, and I would be wary of reading too much into the results. For example, right now the poll says that 9 out of 12 people find the M100s uncomfortable, but I don't think you can say that the issue is settled and the majority of M100 users have comfort issues. It just shows that currently more people who are unsatisfied with the M100 comfort voted in your poll.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. I don't think it matters "how many people complained about this on Head-Fi" or exactly what is the ratio of M100 owners that experience this issue. I believe the majority of M100 owners probably do not write reviews about their purchases. The majority of M100 owners are also probably not head-fi members and most M100 owners probably do not follow the M100 thread. There are people who tried the M100 and returned it due to comfort issues. There are people who only wear their M100 for 30 minutes at a time. There are people who are choosing between Skull Candy, Beats, and V-Moda. There are people who have experienced comfort issues but decided that overall, the headphones are still worth it. I am sure the majority of M100 owners are satisfied with their headphones.

However, this complaint has cropped up not only on head-fi, but also in professional review websites and consumer-reviews. Don't you think that the fact that there is a vocal group complaining about this problem to V-Moda demonstrates that this is a significant problem that should be addressed?

I do understand the bias of the poll.  It is the same bias I pointed out when we were discussing this earlier.  It doesn't make the data worthless though, it just means that you can't take it at face value.  

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #13,049 of 23,366
Quote:
Think this topic has gone on for too long.

The poll will only lead to detract potential buyers. I made a post that will hopefully give light to the fact that I'm patiently waiting for the XL pads.
It's no secret that bigger pads are being released. Val is doing his best to get them ready, so regardless of the issue now, the fact is, its being fixed, so the topic of design flaw/majority discomfort is moot until the new pads come out. This topic had already been discussed at length prior to Val going into development with the new pads, so we should all just take a sit down, and let Val do this, without pages of discomfort bickering. It's gotten to the point of statistic pulling and finite measurements, which are objectively good, but we all know that new larger pads are on their way.

Patience is a virtue, as much as I'd like to wear my cans all day if I want to, I can't, but the knowledge of the XL pads keep my negative feedback on the issue at bay. I don't think its a design flaw so much as an oversight in the memory foam compression along with time usage variance between each user.

V-MODA made a fantastic headphone, and have just as great customer feedback. They've heard us already, we need bigger pads. Let's focus on that, instead of continually giving negative feedback on an issue that's being dealt with.

I agree.  This is precisely why I commented in the first place.  Multiple people insisted on continuing with it though.  So there it is.  

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #13,050 of 23,366
It is like a review online, you only go through the effort to 'review' it if you have something to complain about, that is why you see all the comfort issue postings. That being said I am in the same boat and cant wait for the DD pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back