V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #12,706 of 23,366
I have also popped my cups off. One time from an actual drop. No loose hinges for me. Email V-MODA. You might be able to get a replacement.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #12,708 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anybody know if the small cracks above the screw are replaceable? I have no idea when or how this happened, I just looked yesterday and noticed. 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23344752/V-ModaCrack.jpg

Seems like this issue is accelerated by tightening down the screws too heavily. I remember some1 else also posting a crack like that in the same place. It's quite amusing, it's one of the more durable headphone around, yet it has issues with cracking like that... 

V-MODA should simply start using small rubber rings beneath the scews / possibly change the horrible screws while at it (this is really the only constructive criticism one can have regarding the construction of it). I just don't think the screws / lack of washers go well with V-MODA's image as a durability focusing headphone company, why overlook such a simple matter?

Lack of washers will create uneven pressure and probably the focus point of the pressure is exibited exactly at that spot as I remember the other person's headphones cracked at the exact same spot.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #12,709 of 23,366
I got the m-100 yesterday at the mail (200$ for a few times of use), and... wow! The sound clarity is amazing, excessively bassy IMO but easily eq-able, and heavier than I expected.I'm loving them!

The only thing with them is my ears touching the interior of the cups so much, as already reported.I'll be trying the LP pads as soon as possible as these are by far my less comfortable headphones.Otherwise, they are awesome!

A little bit worried about those cracks that people is reporting thought...

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #12,710 of 23,366
The cracks are rare. Of the hundreds of people who have them, only a handful have reported cracks. My first pair had a crack in the left wing plate and when I contacted V-MODA they sent me a brand-new pair to replace it. Their 2-year warranty is stellar. Plus I had a chance to test burn-in vs. no burn-in. I couldn't hear a difference.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #12,711 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Does anybody know if the small cracks above the screw are replaceable? I have no idea when or how this happened, I just looked yesterday and noticed. 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23344752/V-ModaCrack.jpg

Seems like this issue is accelerated by tightening down the screws too heavily. I remember some1 else also posting a crack like that in the same place. It's quite amusing, it's one of the more durable headphone around, yet it has issues with cracking like that... 

V-MODA should simply start using small rubber rings beneath the scews / possibly change the horrible screws while at it (this is really the only constructive criticism one can have regarding the construction of it). I just don't think the screws / lack of washers go well with V-MODA's image as a durability focusing headphone company, why overlook such a simple matter?

Lack of washers will create uneven pressure and probably the focus point of the pressure is exibited exactly at that spot as I remember the other person's headphones cracked at the exact same spot.

Do you mean a rubber gasket under the screw, above the shield's screw holes, so that if the hex screw is tightened, it just presses against the rubber instead of the shield and ultimately the plastic? That sounds like a reasonable solution. Those rubber screws could also be used universally throughout the headphone (i.e. hinge and yoke screws).

I e-mailed V-MODA about this recently:
Me:
Quote:
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]In addition, when I put the earpads back into place on the M-100, I
noticed that the right earcup has a long, deep crack in the plastic
extending from one of the hexagonal corners. I don't change the shields often at all so I don't think it would be due to over-tightening the screws.
[/size][/size]
[/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]What should I do in this situation?[/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]...[/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]Should I be concerned about the cracked plastic on the earcup at all?[/size][/size][/size]
[attached photos]

V-MODA:
Quote:
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]...[/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]The cracked plastic isn't a cause for concern, but if it gets worse or in anyway hampers your listening experience please let us know. [/size][/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt][size=xx-small]Rock On,
Heidi
V-MODA Customer Support
[/size][/size]
[/size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #12,712 of 23,366
This Week in Tech (TWiT)  did a review of both the M-100 and V-80 version of the V-MODA M-80 in their latest Before You Buy podcast, dated yesterday:

http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/60

The review starts around the 5 minute mark and goes for 13 minutes or so for both headphones.

The review is somewhat middling -- it points out the sound signature of the M-100 (the "no mids" comment is kind of funny and a bit over the top) but not so much the difference between the two headphones.  The other issue that the reviewer has is with the microphone which sounds rolled off when compared with his laptop microphone.  Of course, I'm not sure if this is really a fair comparison as the microphones are in two totally different places.   Perhaps he should have compared against another headphone microphone.  

He also mentions price ($230 for V-80, $310 for M-100) as an issue.  This is one thing I don't like about this particular podcast.  Their assessment of price vs. performance tends to be very reviewer-specific, without any obvious guidelines.  

This podcast has three levels of recommendation from high to low:  Buy, Try, and Don't Buy.  Both the M-100 and V-80 got the "Try" rating.  Leo Laporte makes a generalizing comment at the very end about "most people don't know any better" when it comes to headphones which does not help things.  A recommendation to "go listen to a bunch of headphones, go to enthusiast's sites like head-fi.org, and get educated so that you can pick something you can enjoy for a long time" would be better.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #12,713 of 23,366
Quote:
This Week in Tech (TWiT)  did a review of both the M-100 and V-80 version of the V-MODA M-80 in their latest Before You Buy podcast, dated yesterday:

http://twit.tv/show/before-you-buy/60

The review starts around the 5 minute mark and goes for 13 minutes or so for both headphones.

The review is somewhat middling -- it points out the sound signature of the M-100 (the "no mids" comment is kind of funny and a bit over the top) but not so much the difference between the two headphones.  The other issue that the reviewer has is with the microphone which sounds rolled off when compared with his laptop microphone.  Of course, I'm not sure if this is really a fair comparison as the microphones are in two totally different places.   Perhaps he should have compared against another headphone microphone.  

He also mentions price ($230 for V-80, $310 for M-100) as an issue.  This is one thing I don't like about this particular podcast.  Their assessment of price vs. performance tends to be very reviewer-specific, without any obvious guidelines.  

This podcast has three levels of recommendation from high to low:  Buy, Try, and Don't Buy.  Both the M-100 and V-80 got the "Try" rating.  Leo Laporte makes a generalizing comment at the very end about "most people don't know any better" when it comes to headphones which does not help things.  A recommendation to "go listen to a bunch of headphones, go to enthusiast's sites like head-fi.org, and get educated so that you can pick something you can enjoy for a long time" would be better.  

The reviewer is kind of clueless about some of the details. He calls them M-MODAs, says the drivers are 55mm (they're 50mm), calls them celebrity endorsed headphones that don't have a celebrity attached it (What?), says they're similar to the Beats line of headphones, and that they are only good for one genre of music. 
size]

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #12,714 of 23,366
Quote:
The reviewer is kind of clueless about some of the details. He calls them M-MODAs, says the drivers are 55mm (they're 50mm), calls them celebrity endorsed headphones that don't have a celebrity attached it (What?), says they're similar to the Beats line of headphones, and that they are only good for one genre of music. 
size]

Yea, that guy totally missed the point with these headphones; it's almost like he was given both a day before the podcast and based his impressions on amazon reviews.
I have to say, though, the name of their website seems quite indicative to the density of their content
smile.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #12,715 of 23,366
Quote:
size]

How are they in business? This is completely ludicrous.

Mar 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #12,716 of 23,366
Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. Hope this is the right place to post my problem. So I ordered my m100s way back in October and long story short, I haven't received them yet. I tried contacting the (non-existent) customer support and they said it might be lost and that they will ship out a new one as soon as I can confirm. I have sent a reply but even 4 days later, there has been no confirmation or update. I tried sending another support request with all the details and they just asked me to call the 888 number which leads me to think that they didn't even bother to read the details as I clearly mentioned the addresd. I live in Malaysia and cannot dial that number.
please tell me what to do. Is there anyone else I can contact or email?I'm truly irritated by their support. 5 months n 350$ later still no headphones. cheers

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #12,718 of 23,366
Not entirely behind me, but I percieve almost a 4 speaker set up with two ambient satellites behind me, rather than complete 4 channel surround.

This is the best I can do to explain what I mean by that (without opning up paint and poorly drawing something up). The two slashes are the main soundstage focus, and the two apostrophies are the precieved ambient satellites that throw some sound behind me - almost a binaural effect, but not really, just a soundstage that reaches a bit behind.

/         \
   me
  '     '

http://soundcloud.com/horizonsmusic/data-floodgate-hzncd07 I mentioned this track before when someone asked about the 'backward' soundstage, but this is a my sub bass AND soundstage test track and the beginning has a siren sound that has makes me look around at night wondering what I'm doing wrong... and then a tractor or some noisy motor comes in on your left, and veers behind you and disappears behind a corner or something. On my M-100s the effect is much greater than on my IEMs. If anyone could maybe let me know how it does with other headphones vs M-100, I'm pretty curious.

UPDATE ON MY REMOVAL OF MY PAD MOD

No real discomfort but it takes more initial adjusting when I put them on than with the mod in. The sound change is quite noticable to my ears. It's most noticable in the balance of bass and mids; with less bass, the mids become clearer, and highs also get some more air. The soundstage also decreased slightly after taking the mod out, but not by a lot. I still prefer the sound with the mod in, it's the mid/bass balance. There's still plenty of bass, but the mids have better presence to me, and I do notice a decrease in bass quality as well and quantity. I'm keeping the mod out for that reason alone haha. Keep in mind this is all very slight changes in sound, as some people claim there is no change with mod in or out. While I say there's more/less of this/that, it's a slight change that many might not even notice, but it's enough to mention, as it affects how I hear my music; YMMV

As of now, I'm on the fence about getting the XL pads. I might as well, I'd have nothign to lose, but I'm unsure if I actually need them now. I feel like since the pads have settled to my face the comfort issue is (almost) solved completely, but I can't be certain until I'm out with them for more than two hours. Val also mentioned the bass would sound boomy for those who don't 'need' the XL pads, so that might be the qualifier for if I need the XL pads or not.

REMOVING CUPS CAUSES DAMAGE?

I dunno about that... I've dropped mine from about four feet and they looked like they just smooshed on the floor, both cups flew off the forks, but had zero issues putting therm back, nothing's bent, nothing's broken, and I've even removed the cups from their forks a few times on my own since with no issues. Like miceblue said, they might be a bit squeaky, but they're functionally perfect.

My hinges hex screws are loose again, however, but that's nothign a bit of hex tightening can't solve. As a DJ, I'm constantly moving one of the ear cups off on ear, man handling them with one hand, so that's causing the screws to come loose periodically. Again, I don't think this is a manufacturing fault, but my own, as I abuse my M-100s pretty hard.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #12,719 of 23,366
Quote:
Not entirely behind me, but I percieve almost a 4 speaker set up with two ambient satellites behind me, rather than complete 4 channel surround.

This is the best I can do to explain what I mean by that (without opning up paint and poorly drawing something up). The two slashes are the main soundstage focus, and the two apostrophies are the precieved ambient satellites that throw some sound behind me - almost a binaural effect, but not really, just a soundstage that reaches a bit behind.

/         \
   me
  '     '

http://soundcloud.com/horizonsmusic/data-floodgate-hzncd07 I mentioned this track before when someone asked about the 'backward' soundstage, but this is a my sub bass AND soundstage test track and the beginning has a siren sound that has makes me look around at night wondering what I'm doing wrong... and then a tractor or some noisy motor comes in on your left, and veers behind you and disappears behind a corner or something. On my M-100s the effect is much greater than on my IEMs. If anyone could maybe let me know how it does with other headphones vs M-100, I'm pretty curious.

UPDATE ON MY REMOVAL OF MY PAD MOD

No real discomfort but it takes more initial adjusting when I put them on than with the mod in. The sound change is quite noticable to my ears. It's most noticable in the balance of bass and mids; with less bass, the mids become clearer, and highs also get some more air. The soundstage also decreased slightly after taking the mod out, but not by a lot. I still prefer the sound with the mod in, it's the mid/bass balance. There's still plenty of bass, but the mids have better presence to me, and I do notice a decrease in bass quality as well and quantity. I'm keeping the mod out for that reason alone haha. Keep in mind this is all very slight changes in sound, as some people claim there is no change with mod in or out. While I say there's more/less of this/that, it's a slight change that many might not even notice, but it's enough to mention, as it affects how I hear my music; YMMV

As of now, I'm on the fence about getting the XL pads. I might as well, I'd have nothign to lose, but I'm unsure if I actually need them now. I feel like since the pads have settled to my face the comfort issue is (almost) solved completely, but I can't be certain until I'm out with them for more than two hours. Val also mentioned the bass would sound boomy for those who don't 'need' the XL pads, so that might be the qualifier for if I need the XL pads or not.

REMOVING CUPS CAUSES DAMAGE?

I dunno about that... I've dropped mine from about four feet and they looked like they just smooshed on the floor, both cups flew off the forks, but had zero issues putting therm back, nothing's bent, nothing's broken, and I've even removed the cups from their forks a few times on my own since with no issues. Like miceblue said, they might be a bit squeaky, but they're functionally perfect.

My hinges hex screws are loose again, however, but that's nothign a bit of hex tightening can't solve. As a DJ, I'm constantly moving one of the ear cups off on ear, man handling them with one hand, so that's causing the screws to come loose periodically. Again, I don't think this is a manufacturing fault, but my own, as I abuse my M-100s pretty hard.

I think you posted the wrong link and you mean this one instead?
https://soundcloud.com/bastiphunk/triad-tripod-horizons-music

But yes the depth effect is much greater on the M-100 than with the K 701. The K 701 has a muuuuuch wider L/R separation of sounds, which makes the track sound more stereo-like and less 3-dimensional (one of my complaints for the K 701).

And yes for the earcups thing. I do a lot of man handling with my M-100's as well, constantly putting them on/off my head, in/out of my backpack, folding/unfolding the earcups, so the hinges' screws tend to get loose and I tighten them every 3 weeks or so.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #12,720 of 23,366
After testing with that track and with my music for a while, it started to sound less like the music was behind me, and just kind of to the side of me. My ears may interpret the headphones as sounding behind because I'm so used to having surround sound in my car, where I listen to music 45-90 minutes a day. I've had the M-100 for almost two months now, but I am just off of two days without using them so perhaps my ears were unaccustomed to the sound of my M-100 after a short hiatus.

Anyways can you give some opinions On the M-100 and the C5 miceblue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back