V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #12,617 of 23,366
Quote:
So I got a surprise in the mail today...the BoomPro mic came in.  It came in a lot earlier than I expected.

What? you can order them now? Why does the website say VTF? no picture yet?

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #12,618 of 23,366
Ask and you shall receive, we finally have some time to work on the XL Memory Cushions now that VAMP VERZA/METALLO is in production. I was calling them DD earlier but I think "XL Memory Cushions" makes more sense now.

Here are the engineering drawings for the first test run, I'll keep you updated but as of now we have NO date yet.  I may have to carry a micrometer at the next headphone meet!  Joe Pollicino from Engadget also wants these cushions, I meet with him in a few minutes so I'll get his exact preference too.  

Cheers,

-V

Micrometer for those that who do not know what it is:

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #12,621 of 23,366
I hope Val offers a discount on the XL pads for current M100 owners. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #12,622 of 23,366
Val is like the type of person who wants every one of his customer satisfied it seems like. I like that spirit! :)

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #12,624 of 23,366
Quote:
Ask and you shall receive, we finally have some time to work on the XL Memory Cushions now that VAMP VERZA/METALLO is in production. I was calling them DD earlier but I think "XL Memory Cushions" makes more sense now.

Here are the engineering drawings for the first test run, I'll keep you updated but as of now we have NO date yet.  I may have to carry a micrometer at the next headphone meet!  Joe Pollicino from Engadget also wants these cushions, I meet with him in a few minutes so I'll get his exact preference too.  

Cheers,

-V

Micrometer for those that who do not know what it is:

I am glad that Val is working on this , I'm guessing a number of us have comfort issue on the M-100 due to bigger or odd sized ears and sometimes bigger head . I could solve the clamping force problem by stretching it out a bit but as for the ear cup I think it is a good choice that they are developing an optional one for it.

One of the issue that some of us face is the shallow ear cup causing driver to rest on the helix of the ear ( as some of our ears are actually more "projected" as of lying flat) I am saying this even with the paper towel mod applied. The towel mod does gives better sound quality - my idea would be it compacts the memory foam . So denser foam maybe ? 

If I may give a suggestion, The sort of "V" or the Hexagonal design would improve in comfort level if they may look into slightly modifying the ear lobe end of it ( Make it rounded or slightly bigger maybe ?) at least it fully covers the ear for comfort reasons. I'm guessing according to the sketch, A should be wider than B. C should be thicker but most importantly the memory foam should be denser.

When I was buying the M-100 I had an opportunity to test out the sony MDR-1R , despite the sound quality , I would say the comfort level is supreme (Big and deep ear cups ) !!! After wearing it a while I could hardly felt any discomfort.

Hope this helps.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #12,625 of 23,366
I must be one of the very lucky smaller/normal sized ear owners, don't have any comfort issues with the M100s so far! A bit of pressure on the headband after a while but I think thats just my head getting used to the weight!

Still though, awesome work on the XL pads Val! Can't wait to hear more on the VERZA/MATELLO!

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #12,626 of 23,366
Is the depth increased also? I suppose the increased area of contact would reduce the compression of the foam, but would that be sufficient, I wonder.

C

Quote:

Cheers,

-V

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #12,627 of 23,366
Quote:

I am glad that Val is working on this , I'm guessing a number of us have comfort issue on the M-100 due to bigger or odd sized ears and sometimes bigger head . I could solve the clamping force problem by stretching it out a bit but as for the ear cup I think it is a good choice that they are developing an optional one for it.

One of the issue that some of us face is the shallow ear cup causing driver to rest on the helix of the ear ( as some of our ears are actually more "projected" as of lying flat) I am saying this even with the paper towel mod applied. The towel mod does gives better sound quality - my idea would be it compacts the memory foam . So denser foam maybe ? 

Now I forgot to do it while ago, but yesterday as I was leaving work I noticed one of my gauze rolls was slipping out, so I decided "heck, I'll just take out the mod now and see what happens."

Well the mids went back, and the bass came through more, almost boomier than with the mod, the highs didn't sparkle as much, soundstage decreased (noticeably), and everything sounded all around darker. This is with the memory cushions well sunk in, mind you, so it's not a question of 'burning in' the ear pads, they're already conformed to my head. I DO prefer the M-100's sound with the gauze in. I'm going ot leave it for a week though, then put the gauze back in, just to see if it's brain bias.

In terms of comfort, it seems like the tip and lobe (spacers) of my right ear is the only one that touches the driver, and I can still wear it for at least an hour (haven't field tested w/o mod since having the M-100 for more than an hour) but I can tell the difference in comfort right away.

I'm banking on the XL Cushions being more akin to the mod in, since the fit isn't right pre-mod, the fit should be right with the XL pads. THE FIT IS THE SOUND right? Or atleast that's the assumption I'm going on.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #12,628 of 23,366
Quote:

Now I forgot to do it while ago, but yesterday as I was leaving work I noticed one of my gauze rolls was slipping out, so I decided "heck, I'll just take out the mod now and see what happens."

Well the mids went back, and the bass came through more, almost boomier than with the mod, the highs didn't sparkle as much, soundstage decreased (noticeably), and everything sounded all around darker. This is with the memory cushions well sunk in, mind you, so it's not a question of 'burning in' the ear pads, they're already conformed to my head. I DO prefer the M-100's sound with the gauze in. I'm going ot leave it for a week though, then put the gauze back in, just to see if it's brain bias.

In terms of comfort, it seems like the tip and lobe (spacers) of my right ear is the only one that touches the driver, and I can still wear it for at least an hour (haven't field tested w/o mod since having the M-100 for more than an hour) but I can tell the difference in comfort right away.

I'm banking on the XL Cushions being more akin to the mod in, since the fit isn't right pre-mod, the fit should be right with the XL pads. THE FIT IS THE SOUND right? Or atleast that's the assumption I'm going on.

Bear in mind, with the mod in for an extended period of time, the foam will compress more than usual over time.  Doing this mod will hurt any hopes of "going back to normal" the longer you leave it in.  You would have to purchase new pads to really start from scratch.  

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #12,629 of 23,366
Quote:

My emphasis here is not really about the mod , it's more towards comfort.  I could hardly wear the headphone pass 1.5hr without feeling any discomfort. Anyhow, I guess for my case the way the current ear cups fits around my ear has something to do with the mod with respect to the sound quality.

This is just a theory, Because of the clamping force the soft "memory foam" is being pushed down over time. Hence forces some of our ears to actually touches the driver (this causes overall sourness/pain to the ear). Another way to do it will be by placing 2 layer of different density foam. One harder and one softer I remember seeing them somewhere. This would allow the soft layer for comfort and the harder layer to slow down/prevent the overall ear cups from setting in too much. I think a more in depth study on the relation between clamping force and the density of the foam would be relevant in this case. Just an assumption, people who has bigger ears should also normally have bigger head size - and pls note that I just said "normally". Hence this will cost the headband to stretch more resulting in higher clamping force, so a denser foam in this case should be relevant. 

Sorry but i didn't really get THE FIT IS THE SOUND right? ... 
redface.gif

The M100 is such great headphones but the short listening time because of comfort is annoying. I'm really hoping V Moda would do something correct to solve this issue for some of us.
happy_face1.gif

cheers

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #12,630 of 23,366
Quote:
Sorry but i didn't really get THE FIT IS THE SOUND right? ... 
redface.gif

The M100 is such great headphones but the short listening time because of comfort is annoying. I'm really hoping V Moda would do something correct to solve this issue for some of us.
happy_face1.gif

cheers

To explain Val's statement, the fit is the sound.  The fit really refers to how the headphones will seal with your ears.  Improper seal will result in a loss of bass extension and could induce a few peaks in the treble.  Both of which will produce a less than optimal sound output.  So the deeper pads may actually provide some people with that fit that they need for the headphones to seal properly.  The deeper pads, in many ways, will reproduce the mods that have been done thus far, but make the density and depth constant (rather than variable).  This would lead to a more uniform sound (problem the current mod has, different density of paper, even different depth can change sound output).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back