V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #11,222 of 23,366
Quote:
This is fun. I love stirring up trouble. I just find it funny that someone that posts alot is an authority on any subject. I could write a lengthy review on these and other headphones as well. My point is everyone should make their own conclusions. My conclusions are that the M-100s are a great headphone for all genres. They do specialize more towards the bass end of the spectrum but they are fun for most any music. 

I feel my background as a musician is very important. Playing live sessions for jazz, orchestra and even southern rock have given me perspective for many different things. The same can be said for my experience in the high end home audio and home theater. Setting up these systems and tuning them in room help you to learn what to listen for. I know what live sounds like and I know what many recorded sessions are trying to accomplish if you look at what the producer usually strives to achieve in his/her work. The point is many will mix to have vocals as the centerpiece and sometimes they will mix to blend them more. Look I am not trying to be the experienced one on this forum or even this thread. Its not that important to me. I have been in many more internet arguments on high end audio forums and I find it fun to challenge people. 

I think there are better ways to challenge people than to make prejudiced statements. Nice try. You might want to try that on an image board forum instead. I'm sure you'll find a much better reception there.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #11,223 of 23,366
This is fun. I love stirring up trouble.

That basically sums your post up.

In case you don't understand, there is a difference between playing devil's advocate to show another perspective, and what you did. Which was point at one guy, and say "you don't know what you're hearing." We don't even have to go into the fact that any opinion about compressed, synthesized tones vs ultra high bitrate cello recordings is completely irrelevant to the general balance of frequency response in headphones. No, you haven't made a valid point, nor endeared yourself and your perspective, because your posts are just about stirring up trouble and pointing your nose up to the sky. Did somebody punch that nose to make you this way?

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #11,224 of 23,366
23 years old guy calls himself being a musican for 23 years.
Cool story. Like those guys who has taken pics with bruce lee and are marketing themselves as his closest students who mastered every secret technique
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #11,225 of 23,366
While the mids are clearly recessed, relatively speaking, I don't agree with the people who say these are 'genre specific'.  I don't listen to any pop, electronic or dance music these days.  I do listen to a lot of acoustic, folk, rock, psych, metal, doom, etc...  The M80s, which I also own and love, I do consider absolute all-rounders.  Their frequency response is more balanced and they somehow sound fantastic no matter what I play through them.  The M100s, on the other hand, are more picky.  I do believe the people who say they're better for electronic music, but what I'd like to say is that I nevertheless wouldn't discount them entirely for other genres.  I simply find that when playing rock and folk that they're a bit more hit and miss.  At their best, when playing an album that suits them well, they absolutely crush the M80s.  But on other albums their very coloured sound can sometimes work against them, particularly in regards to the quite strong bass.  I absolutely love my M100s and wouldn't part with them, and would still recommend them to others who listen to rock, metal and folk.  When they rock hard, they rock REALLY hard.  And they do perform incredibly well with some folky albums, with great clarity of acoustic guitar and beautiful vocal presentation.

A couple of examples of albums that I find to work very well from the heavier rock genres - the new Soundgarden 'King Animal' (should need no introduction), Graveyard 'Lights Out' (retro 70s style hard rock) and the new Ufomammut albums (heavy sludge / doom).  The massively distorted and rumbling bass on the Ufomammut albums is particularly powerful on the M100s - I find it hard to imagine a headphone that could do it better.  The albums by Yob, on the other hand, which I love on the M80s and which should by all accounts sound fantastic on the M100s, somehow seem to miss the mark.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #11,226 of 23,366
Quote:
While the mids are clearly recessed, relatively speaking, I don't agree with the people who say these are 'genre specific'.  I don't listen to any pop, electronic or dance music these days.  I do listen to a lot of acoustic, folk, rock, psych, metal, doom, etc...  The M80s, which I also own and love, I do consider absolute all-rounders.  Their frequency response is more balanced and they somehow sound fantastic no matter what I play through them.  The M100s, on the other hand, are more picky.  I do believe the people who say they're better for electronic music, but what I'd like to say is that I nevertheless wouldn't discount them entirely for other genres.  I simply find that when playing rock and folk that they're a bit more hit and miss.  At their best, when playing an album that suits them well, they absolutely crush the M80s.  But on other albums their very coloured sound can sometimes work against them, particularly in regards to the quite strong bass.  I absolutely love my M100s and wouldn't part with them, and would still recommend them to others who listen to rock, metal and folk.  When they rock hard, they rock REALLY hard.  And they do perform incredibly well with some folky albums, with great clarity of acoustic guitar and beautiful vocal presentation.

A couple of examples of albums that I find to work very well from the heavier rock genres - the new Soundgarden 'King Animal' (should need no introduction), Graveyard 'Lights Out' (retro 70s style hard rock) and the new Ufomammut albums (heavy sludge / doom).  The massively distorted and rumbling bass on the Ufomammut albums is particularly powerful on the M100s - I find it hard to imagine a headphone that could do it better.  The albums by Yob, on the other hand, which I love on the M80s and which should by all accounts sound fantastic on the M100s, somehow seem to miss the mark.

+1

I came across this conclusion after listening to a bunch of prog rock and metal, and then listening to older classic rock, I REALLY dig Yes on these, and Pink Floyd are actually really amazing on these. Supertramp also. Steve Vai, Dream Theater, some Tool songs though, hit or miss. It all depends on how the passages were mixed in the studio really, it's not that they're genre specific, it's that that they're actually pretty revealing, to my ears.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #11,227 of 23,366
Well, I just sent back my M-100s today for return.  I only had them for about a week, and I didn't get to give them as much headtime as I would've liked, but here were my impressions:

1. The build quality is the single most impressive thing about these headphones.  They feel sturdy and look pretty sick, although they're more flashy than I'd feel comfortable wearing in public.  The case is also genius.

1. I thought my ears were smaller than average, but my left ear wouldn't fit into the pad.  This caused soreness after about an hour of listening.  I eventually mitigated this problem by just wearing the headphones partially on-ear.  I was surprised by the tight fit, since my ears fit perfectly into the Edition 8 earpads, which might only be slightly wider.

1. I found the sound quality more or less OK for a headphone which is trying for a fun, colored sound, but still lacking the kind of clarity, detail and balance that I'm looking for even in a portable headphone that I'll mostly be listening to casually.  The bass added a layer of haze to everything, and I didn't find the headphones very resolving even on bass-light music.  I mainly want a pair of portable over-ears to listen to high-energy music (hip-hop, house, hard rock), and I found the M-100's polite treble and thick bass a bit dull.  However, I didn't listen to these headphones in a noisy environment where the extra bass may have come in handy.  In quiet settings where I could really focus on the music, I found it hard to get lost in the music with the lack of detail and neutrality.

1. My reference for what a "fun" portable, closed headphone should sound like are the Edition 8s, but I realize those retail for $1000 and aren't as rugged or portable as the M-100s.  But I love the Ed. 8's level of clarity, treble extension, and soundstage.  I also own the DT1350s, which I don't listen to much anymore as I find them too mid-range focused, with a thin yet warm sound which is only engaging with certain kinds of vocal music.  But they're very compact and isolating.

I just ordered a set of Amperiors, I'm hoping that it will have a brighter, cleaner presentation than the M-100s, with more detail and bass refinement.  I'm glad to see that Val is so engaged on Head-Fi, and I received nothing but outstanding customer service from V-MODA.  If he develops a more neutral, reference headphone down the line, I'll definitely be checking it out!

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #11,228 of 23,366
Quote:
Well, I just sent back my M-100s today for return.  I only had them for about a week, and I didn't get to give them as much headtime as I would've liked, but here were my impressions:

1. The build quality is the single most impressive thing about these headphones.  They feel sturdy and look pretty sick, although they're more flashy than I'd feel comfortable wearing in public.  The case is also genius.

1. I thought my ears were smaller than average, but my left ear wouldn't fit into the pad.  This caused soreness after about an hour of listening.  I eventually mitigated this problem by just wearing the headphones partially on-ear.  I was surprised by the tight fit, since my ears fit perfectly into the Edition 8 earpads, which might only be slightly wider.

1. I found the sound quality more or less OK for a headphone which is trying for a fun, colored sound, but still lacking the kind of clarity, detail and balance that I'm looking for even in a portable headphone that I'll mostly be listening to casually.  The bass added a layer of haze to everything, and I didn't find the headphones very resolving even on bass-light music.  I mainly want a pair of portable over-ears to listen to high-energy music (hip-hop, house, hard rock), and I found the M-100's polite treble and thick bass a bit dull.  However, I didn't listen to these headphones in a noisy environment where the extra bass may have come in handy.  In quiet settings where I could really focus on the music, I found it hard to get lost in the music with the lack of detail and neutrality.

1. My reference for what a "fun" portable, closed headphone should sound like are the Edition 8s, but I realize those retail for $1000 and aren't as rugged or portable as the M-100s.  But I love the Ed. 8's level of clarity, treble extension, and soundstage.  I also own the DT1350s, which I don't listen to much anymore as I find them too mid-range focused, with a thin yet warm sound which is only engaging with certain kinds of vocal music.  But they're very compact and isolating.

I just ordered a set of Amperiors, I'm hoping that it will have a brighter, cleaner presentation than the M-100s, with more detail and bass refinement.  I'm glad to see that Val is so engaged on Head-Fi, and I received nothing but outstanding customer service from V-MODA.  If he develops a more neutral, reference headphone down the line, I'll definitely be checking it out!

I returned the Amperiors a few months ago.  I own and will keep my M-100s for a very long time.  If you think the M-100 lacks clarity and detail, then Amperior will be a complete waste of time for you.  I agree to a point M-100 treble is polite but I don't hear anything thick or dull from M-100's bass.  If the Edition 8 is your style, I think the Signature DJ would be more up your alley.  Once you go summit-fi, I imagine it's hard to go back.

Out of curiosity, what are you expecting from a headphone that is 1/4 the cost of an Edition 8?

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #11,230 of 23,366
Quote:
This is fun. I love stirring up trouble. I just find it funny that someone that posts alot is an authority on any subject. I could write a lengthy review on these and other headphones as well. My point is everyone should make their own conclusions. My conclusions are that the M-100s are a great headphone for all genres. They do specialize more towards the bass end of the spectrum but they are fun for most any music. 

I feel my background as a musician is very important. Playing live sessions for jazz, orchestra and even southern rock have given me perspective for many different things. The same can be said for my experience in the high end home audio and home theater. Setting up these systems and tuning them in room help you to learn what to listen for. I know what live sounds like and I know what many recorded sessions are trying to accomplish if you look at what the producer usually strives to achieve in his/her work. The point is many will mix to have vocals as the centerpiece and sometimes they will mix to blend them more. Look I am not trying to be the experienced one on this forum or even this thread. Its not that important to me. I have been in many more internet arguments on high end audio forums and I find it fun to challenge people. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #11,231 of 23,366

Now then, just how did you fit those covers so neatly. I've tried all sorts of tricks getting them on my M-100s to no avail. I sense they now giggle if they see me coming towards them!!

They either look as though someone hung a sock from the headphones or they're full of creases.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #11,232 of 23,366

Quote:
The fact you are using a video game as reference for anything tells me all I need to know. As a musician for 23 years I know what instruments and most mixes should sound like. I know you are a kid but you should quit making definitive statements without any real knowledge.

Miceblue merely said that he was testing the mids of the m100s with the soundtracks in AC3. The fact that you've been a so called musician for '23 yrs', would probably make me want to think twice about your opinion on the sound of ANY headphones.

Also it's obvious that the mids are quite recessed with the m100s. Imo even after the pp mod and hooking them up to a portable amp. We all know that they sound BEAUTIFUL with electronic genres and rap/ hip-hop( my fav. genres :) :) :) ...). However I have a question for you micdeblue & others who have been using the m100s for a while. What are other genres that they sound great/ good with? Please, very curious.

I actually did a few hours of mobile listening with the M-100's today and I really liked how some [smooth] jazz sounded. Deems Tsutakawa, Fourplay, and Vince Guaraldi Trio sounded pretty good to me. I also enjoyed some pop as well, reliving my senior year high school days with some Chinese pop, and childhood memories with some Pet Shop Boys.

Quote:

Mhmm, some artists/albums/songs sound good with the M-100's, but in general I find the M-100's to be genre-specific. As with most headphones, some artists in genre X will sound good while others not-so-much.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #11,233 of 23,366
I finally got my replacement M100 today. I have to say, these are pretty nice right out of the box. I tried the Momentums yesterday for about the fourth time and decided that they were not for me. The bass was flabby and there was too much of it. Good thing I waited.. almost bought them over Christmas when they were on sale.  Now that I finally have the M100's, I'm pleased.  
Have listened to some Enigma, Supertramp, Dire Straits, Morgan Page and Lindsey Stirling.  I don't find the mids too recessed at all and thats coming from a person who likes the Sennheiser HD700 which can be a tad bright at times. (Would love to find a headphone that is exactly 1/2 way between the M100 and HD700 across the frequency spectrum.)
As far as fit goes, so far so good but it's only been an hour or so.  I'm thinking that these will be keepers and the M80s will go, not because of the sound but because I'm adjusting/fiddling with them all of the time. I think I'm going to be sending some serious time with these over the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back