V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #11,087 of 23,366
So how exactly can you tell you stuffed enough filling into the pads for the paper towel/gauze mods?

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #11,088 of 23,366
I have never had V Modas before and am looking to pick up the M100's but at the same time i was looking at the LP2's, is the $130 diffrence between them worth it if i'm looking for clear vocals, vivid highs, decent mids and a good bass that wont drown out any of the finer details? i going to use them mainly for casual listening and gaming.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #11,091 of 23,366
Quote:
I have never had V Modas before and am looking to pick up the M100's but at the same time i was looking at the LP2's, is the $130 diffrence between them worth it if i'm looking for clear vocals, vivid highs, decent mids and a good bass that wont drown out any of the finer details? i going to use them mainly for casual listening and gaming.

I have personally never heard the LP2's, but in my research opinion (as I was leaning towards the LP2s before I found out the M100 existed/was in the making) I think the M100's are more worth it. From what I've read the M100s have more overall detail and less muddy bass than the LP series. Also, I really love the dual inputs from a gamers perspective. Plugging one input into my TV for the ps3 or for watching tv (as  loud as I want without bothering anyone else), and then one input in my computer for either skype calls or music. Pretty useful. :)

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #11,092 of 23,366
I have personally never heard the LP2's, but in my research opinion (as I was leaning towards the LP2s before I found out the M100 existed/was in the making) I think the M100's are more worth it. From what I've read the M100s have more overall detail and less muddy bass than the LP series. Also, I really love the dual inputs from a gamers perspective. Plugging one input into my TV for the ps3 or for watching tv (as  loud as I want without bothering anyone else), and then one input in my computer for either skype calls or music. Pretty useful. :)

I really enjoy a lot of the features i see offered on m100's, my only real conern with them is with the vocals. I listen to a lot of vocals in my music and some people and places i have looked seem to indicate the vocals are a bit lacking in the m100s while everying else seems to be good. Though some people also have expressed to me that the base is a bit mudled on the m100's, or at least the base is a bit flatter. Whats your opinion on the vocals and base for the m100's, do the vocals seem distant at all?

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #11,093 of 23,366
Quote:
Have you found any closed headphones that are bass-heavy with forward mids and extended highs?

For portability, IEM's may be the way to go if you're looking for the triple-threat 
biggrin.gif

But all in seriousness, this may be where the problem lies. I think quite a few of us were totally expecting an even-handed headphone from the development impressions; not bass canons. Dont get me wrong, I thought they sounded phenomenal on some songs, but overall came out pretty loppy on house, lounge, or jazz.
Based off the impressions during the development, I was expecing, more ore less, an M-80 with tighter bass responce, and better extended treble. This simply was not the case; it was a totally different breed of sound.
Quote:
Recessed mids?  Try this mod... It's called the 'hygiene fix'.

I like to think my ears are pretty piped out. I habitually swab my ears after every shower; I go through a box of q-tips every few months 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #11,094 of 23,366
What the...is it weird that I find the K 701 to be more comfortable than the M-100 while listening with 1 ear? That...doesn't make any sense considering the M-100's earcups are practically half the size of the K 701, no joke, and are designed with DJ's in mind. I can't imagine any DJ's using a K 701 to do his/her work.
blink.gif

On another note, I guess it's time to bring-out that 'ol SpeakEasy cable again since I now have a device that's more compatible with it. I shall test its call quality if I get a phone call any time soon.

Quote:
Quote:
Have you found any closed headphones that are bass-heavy with forward mids and extended highs?

For portability, IEM's may be the way to go if you're looking for the triple-threat 
biggrin.gif

But all in seriousness, this may be where the problem lies. I think quite a few of us were totally expecting an even-handed headphone from the development impressions; not bass canons. Dont get me wrong, I thought they sounded phenomenal on some songs, but overall came out pretty loppy on house, lounge, or jazz.
Based off the impressions during the development, I was expecing, more ore less, an M-80 with tighter bass responce, and better extended treble. This simply was not the case; it was a totally different breed of sound.

Actually yeah, you can get some really good IEM's for a pretty low cost nowadays. I bought my brother a SE215 for Christmas at 20% off and the mids are definitely more forward than the M-100, bass impact isn't as hard but it's deeper, and the treble....meh you can forget about those with the 215's (testings done on an iPhone 4S with 320 kbps MP3 in a quiet environment). XD   Definitely definitely definitely worth the $80 I paid though, not to mention -33 dB of noise isolation (according to Innerfidelity).

As a portable headphone, I think the M-100 really excels there as it offers a similar bass quantity to the SE215, a fairly good amount of detail, and leaves the highs sparkly so you can enjoy some rock while mobile listening.
And whooo yes the O2 makes the M-100 sound much better versus from just out of the iPhone....even though I'm double amping (I don't have a FiiO L_ LOD since I never needed one before).

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #11,096 of 23,366
Quote:
Nay, and thus my search for 'the one can' continues. However, the paper towel mod + M-100 is pretty close.
I look forward to demoing the K167 and K267 to see how they fair, but I have a feeling that the blood sweat and tears that went into the M-100 will show in comparison, but K267's 3 in 1 might trump the M-100 in terms of multi use, so its all up to SQ and freq response at this point.

My question was, in part, rhetorical.  However, I am also curious about the K267 since even the $749 Ultrasone Signature DJ has recessed mids, moreso than M-100 based on reviews.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #11,097 of 23,366
Quote:
I really enjoy a lot of the features i see offered on m100's, my only real conern with them is with the vocals. I listen to a lot of vocals in my music and some people and places i have looked seem to indicate the vocals are a bit lacking in the m100s while everying else seems to be good. Though some people also have expressed to me that the base is a bit mudled on the m100's, or at least the base is a bit flatter. Whats your opinion on the vocals and base for the m100's, do the vocals seem distant at all?

I enjoy vocals as well.  One of the things I love about the M-100 is that when there isn't anything bass dominant on the recording, it won't show up out of nowhere through the M-100.  Vocals from Emeli Sande and Christina Perri sound as good as I have heard through any headphone, especially with a decent amp that can bring out the mids.  Listening critically, I do understand why some could say mids on the M-100 are recessed compared to mid-centric cans, but only slightly.  To have authoritative bass combined with excellent vocals in one headphone is what really makes the M-100 stand out in the $300 crowd.

Regarding your bass comments, two words I would NEVER use to describe M-100 bass are muddled or flat, so no worries about that
wink_face.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #11,098 of 23,366
Quote:
What the...is it weird that I find the K 701 to be more comfortable than the M-100 while listening with 1 ear? That...doesn't make any sense considering the M-100's earcups are practically half the size of the K 701, no joke, and are designed with DJ's in mind. I can't imagine any DJ's using a K 701 to do his/her work.
blink.gif

On another note, I guess it's time to bring-out that 'ol SpeakEasy cable again since I now have a device that's more compatible with it. I shall test its call quality if I get a phone call any time soon.

Actually yeah, you can get some really good IEM's for a pretty low cost nowadays. I bought my brother a SE215 for Christmas at 20% off and the mids are definitely more forward than the M-100, bass impact isn't as hard but it's deeper, and the treble....meh you can forget about those with the 215's (testings done on an iPhone 4S with 320 kbps MP3 in a quiet environment). XD   Definitely definitely definitely worth the $80 I paid though, not to mention -33 dB of noise isolation (according to Innerfidelity).

As a portable headphone, I think the M-100 really excels there as it offers a similar bass quantity to the SE215, a fairly good amount of detail, and leaves the highs sparkly so you can enjoy some rock while mobile listening.
And whooo yes the O2 makes the M-100 sound much better versus from just out of the iPhone....even though I'm double amping (I don't have a FiiO L_ LOD since I never needed one before).

Regarding IEMs, I have B&W C5s.  I really like them.  Tonally, I find them very similar to M100, but M-100 just does everything better.  I was generally happy with their sound, but for some reason, having earphones in my ear canal started to annoy me, so that is when my search began for the ultimate portable circumaural and here I am......

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #11,099 of 23,366
Quote:
Hi people. How I can to register my headphones on official site? Instant registration by QR code didn't work for me. I have used all three recommend applications for i

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that V-Moda was having some issues with the online registration, but there are no worries if you ordered from V-Moda or Amazon since there is a permanent electronic record of your purchase.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #11,100 of 23,366
I enjoy vocals as well.  One of the things I love about the M-100 is that when there isn't anything bass dominant on the recording, it won't show up out of nowhere through the M-100.  Vocals from Emeli Sande and Christina Perri sound as good as I have heard through any headphone, especially with a decent amp that can bring out the mids.  Listening critically, I do understand why some could say mids on the M-100 are recessed compared to mid-centric cans, but only slightly.  To have authoritative bass combined with excellent vocals in one headphone is what really makes the M-100 stand out in the $300 crowd.

Regarding your bass comments, two words I would NEVER use to describe M-100 bass are muddled or flat, so no worries about that :wink_face:

Thanks man, I think I am pretty well sold on the M100's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back