V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #11,071 of 23,366

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
X2 I have had these since October and have been loving them, but I haven't been posting that much about them so I assume plenty of people are doing the same so maybe the reviews aren't as mixed as they seem.

As expected for reviews. Per statistics, reviews are always biased when the reviews are voluntary. If you get to choose whether or not you review a product, you most likely won't unless you are displeased with said product. So the displeased reviewers are more likely to post about their problems, then the happy product owners. :) That isn't always the case, because some happy product owners are here to help share experiences with the crowd, but that is usually the case with voluntary reviews.

Hm that's interesting, I never thought about it that way. Whenever I read reviews, I always look at the critical/negative parts because those are the parts that worry me the most and offer the most useful information from my experience. Amazon reviews for example (yeah yeah it's Amazon...), there are an abundance of positive reviews that all say the same thing and a few negative reviews that really talk about things the other reviews don't cover.

Aye, something I learned in statistics, pretty useful information as I am a potential business owner. =P
I personally don't leave feedback on amazon reviews, unless I have a problem with something; so when I learned that fact a couple years ago it wasn't really surprising to me, though.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #11,072 of 23,366
Quote:
 a few negative reviews that really talk about things the other reviews don't cover.

A few negatives that are not mentioned elsewhere is typically less useful than anything else.  Statistically (and realistically), the most likely issues are the negatives that are mentioned in either a positive review or a rare negative review where it is clearly articulated that they are not holding an unwarranted grudge.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #11,073 of 23,366
Quote:
I cant believe people are listening to the same headphone as I am when they say they dont like it lol

+1 x 1000
L3000.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #11,075 of 23,366
You guys don't find the mids unacceptably recessed? ok ok, not unacceptable but very recessed. Don't get me wrong, they're comfy and isolate well and the build quality/bass/highs are all great but the mids just aren't cutting it for me. I'm going to try that paper towel mod to see if the mids get better.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #11,076 of 23,366
I received my Sound and Vision print magazine today.  Congrats to V-Moda for winning an editor's choice award for the M-100!  While the PSB M4U2 won product of the year (admittedly deserved), the M-100 has a full-page photo with this quote:

"...one of the best-sounding portable headphones we've auditioned"

I owned both of these fine headphones. While I would give the edge to the PSBs overall, I ended up selling them and keeping the V-Modas. Their portability and form factor won me over. The PSBs just felt like I was wearing a huge headphone. As pointed out many times in this thread, the M100s aren't perfect. I have normal size ears and even got good fit from Senn Momentums but I have to use the towel mod on the M100s. We need to have an option for deeper pads. It is a must and I am sure Val will get around to it. The only other thing I really hated was changing the shields. There has to be a better way to get a handle on tolerances on the Allen size screws. They strip too easily and the wrench will slip out and scratch the shield. I was lucky and careful but that is too hard. Those are my only gripes and if that's all I can find, you can bet these are good cans.

On another note, I snagged an Audioquest Dragonfly today at Best Buy for $169 open box. There is another huge thread on that little gem and to say its the best dad/amp combo I have heard under $750 is almost an understatement. It's not for portable rigs but if you carry a laptop around like I do, you can't touch it at the price. I also snagged a Vamp off Craigslist and I will be selling it soon. The DF is just a good bit better plus I have an iPhone 5 so its not really much use for me. I just had to try one because I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Go-Dap X. Glad I didn't. Still I'm willing to let Val try to win me over with the Verza but I may be done with sources for a while. Ok, DF ad off but I know the DF is almost as expensive as the M100s but until you hear them with something like it, you won't be able to realize how good these cans are. They resolve unbelievable detail.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #11,077 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey what are some songs you guys have found that you think sound really awesome with the M-100's?

Everything by Rihanna, David Guetta and Pitbull.

Also Karmin, Kat Graham, Robyn, Maroon 5, Nicki Minaj, Bruno Mars, Taio Cruz, Avril Lavigne, Bridgit Mendler, Carly Rae Jepsen, Jay-Z, Eminem, Cher Lloyd, Christina Perri, Evanescence, Dev, Ellie Goulding, Taylor Swift, Emeli Sande, Fun, Green Day, Information Society, Jewel, Juice Newton, Ludacris, Michael Jackson, Missy Elliot, Mya, Natalia Kills, Natalie Merchant, Natalie Imbruglia, Nelly, Norah Jones, P!nk, Paul Simon, Sade, Santana, Seal, Seals & Crofts, Shaggy, Sheryl Crow, Steely Dan, T.I., Tom Petty, Vanessa Carlton, etc.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #11,078 of 23,366
I have the matte black, and I just put on a pair of gun metal shields. I think they look really good but the one thing i've found is they get alot cooler temp wise then the matte black shields when left by a window 

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #11,079 of 23,366
Quote:
I owned both of these fine headphones. While I would give the edge to the PSBs overall, I ended up selling them and keeping the V-Modas. Their portability and form factor won me over. The PSBs just felt like I was wearing a huge headphone. As pointed out many times in this thread, the M100s aren't perfect. I have normal size ears and even got good fit from Senn Momentums but I have to use the towel mod on the M100s. We need to have an option for deeper pads. It is a must and I am sure Val will get around to it. The only other thing I really hated was changing the shields. There has to be a better way to get a handle on tolerances on the Allen size screws. They strip too easily and the wrench will slip out and scratch the shield. I was lucky and careful but that is too hard. Those are my only gripes and if that's all I can find, you can bet these are good cans.
On another note, I snagged an Audioquest Dragonfly today at Best Buy for $169 open box. There is another huge thread on that little gem and to say its the best dad/amp combo I have heard under $750 is almost an understatement. It's not for portable rigs but if you carry a laptop around like I do, you can't touch it at the price. I also snagged a Vamp off Craigslist and I will be selling it soon. The DF is just a good bit better plus I have an iPhone 5 so its not really much use for me. I just had to try one because I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Go-Dap X. Glad I didn't. Still I'm willing to let Val try to win me over with the Verza but I may be done with sources for a while. Ok, DF ad off but I know the DF is almost as expensive as the M100s but until you hear them with something like it, you won't be able to realize how good these cans are. They resolve unbelievable detail.

I bought Vamp recently and completely agree regarding the jump in detail with a good DAC/amp.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #11,080 of 23,366
Quote:
You guys don't find the mids unacceptably recessed? ok ok, not unacceptable but very recessed. Don't get me wrong, they're comfy and isolate well and the build quality/bass/highs are all great but the mids just aren't cutting it for me. I'm going to try that paper towel mod to see if the mids get better.

Unacceptable mids for some (most) genres, yes, but certainly not unacceptable for EDM. Some folks here think they're great for every genre, while many more disagree. I'm on the latter side. EDM really shines here, and it's no secret that Val's a DJ so there might be a focus bias (he's even said that he wanted this to be a headphones that HE would buy HIMSELF), but that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share how I feel these do GREAT justice to EDM. 
I'm a party goer, so I attend many EDM events, and a few local summer festivals that I promote for. One thing I've noticed is the sound engineers do not by any means give a neutral sound pumping out of the 100k watt systems; They colour it for dancability; the rolling sub bass that moves, the thumping bass kicks, the snare that snaps with authority, and high hats that shimmer and sparkle, and the mids do their job while letting the highs shimmer and the bass move the room. None of that is the result of a balanced mix board imo, and the M-100s do a DAMN GOOD job of emulating that club/rave sound.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #11,081 of 23,366
Quote:

Unacceptable mids for some (most) genres, yes, but certainly not unacceptable for EDM. Some folks here think they're great for every genre, while many more disagree. I'm on the latter side. EDM really shines here, and it's no secret that Val's a DJ so there might be a focus bias (he's even said that he wanted this to be a headphones that HE would buy HIMSELF), but that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share how I feel these do GREAT justice to EDM. 
I'm a party goer, so I attend many EDM events, and a few local summer festivals that I promote for. One thing I've noticed is the sound engineers do not by any means give a neutral sound pumping out of the 100k watt systems; They colour it for dancability; the rolling sub bass that moves, the thumping bass kicks, the snare that snaps with authority, and high hats that shimmer and sparkle, and the mids do their job while letting the highs shimmer and the bass move the room. None of that is the result of a balanced mix board imo, and the M-100s do a DAMN GOOD job of emulating that club/rave sound.

Have you found any closed headphones that are bass-heavy with forward mids and extended highs?

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #11,082 of 23,366
Quote:

I can see how they would be good for EDM for sure and i don't doubt that they do at all, actually I'm sure they are great for EDM but for what I listen to it's pretty bad

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #11,083 of 23,366
After having a couple of hours to listen to them, I have to say they're growing on me, and that I might actually prefer the way these sound to my m80s. The mids are a little laid back, but they're smoother than the M80s and for 80% of my library (indie rock, and electronic pop) I think they do just fine. Neutral they aren't, but they're just so fun.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #11,084 of 23,366
Have you found any closed headphones that are bass-heavy with forward mids and extended highs?

Nay, and thus my search for 'the one can' continues. However, the paper towel mod + M-100 is pretty close.

I look forward to demoing the K167 and K267 to see how they fair, but I have a feeling that the blood sweat and tears that went into the M-100 will show in comparison, but K267's 3 in 1 might trump the M-100 in terms of multi use, so its all up to SQ and freq response at this point.

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #11,085 of 23,366
Quote:
+1 x 1000
L3000.gif

+2!

I know the mids are a bit recessed, but that comes with the enhanced bass. But what y'all describe doesn't sound anything like what I've heard. They're only a tad recessed, and they're more than acceptable for most genres. 

I'm still convinced that fit plays a big role in how you'll enjoy these headphones, as everyone I've shown these to has commented on how well they fit as well as the sound, while those making note of how overpowering the bass is also note that their ears don't fit completely right with the cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back