V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #11,041 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Got my m100's the other day. Impressed so far!

As a guy coming from earbuds/HD25s, I'm having a hard time enjoying the soundstage. I'm used to a more in-your-face approach, and if I really listen, these sound narrow and a bit distant. Not sure what to think about that yet...

Anyone else notice this? I felt the same way about the m80's.

Hmm... Now I hope it was not a mistake to order m100 becaus i hate when Headphones sounds "distant" I experienced this effect with Sony MDR-1R and I absolutely hated the soundstage of them...
it was the only  Headphones i didnt realy like. 

Quote:
Paper towel mod widens and shortens the soundstage.

+1

The paper towel mod is really almost essential to get the best out of these headphones IMHO. Truth be told I was ready to return mine but the paper towel mod widens the stage significantly to the point where I'm hearing sounds from outside of the cups, and the tonality in the mid/bass is so much better than stock.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #11,042 of 23,366
No paper towels out of iphone 4 = meh

Paper towels and fuzen amp set to high gain on eq setting 3 = epic

Would recommend ifuzen amp, it's like the vamp in that it's an amp built into a case, except not as bulky and less then a fifth of the price. No hiss, a good amp with 4 eq settings, and it charges your iphone. Get the v2 sharp though, because the first one had some issues.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #11,043 of 23,366
Also curious if anyone has removed the felt on the other side of the shields?

I'm curious as to it's effect, but not curious enough to try it myself.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #11,044 of 23,366
Quote:
Well, I finally bit the bullet. Just ordered Matte Black M-100s with an extra pair of Gunmetal shields, got the 2 free sets of Bass Freq headphones as well. Finally accepted that the M-100s simply provide a better overall package than pretty much anything else out there. Nothing offers as many features: dual cable entry, folding cups, removable cables, inline control cable, portable case, and all the extras you can get like customized shields and boom mic. Throw in design and build quality, and it's a good deal, whether or not SQ is amazing. Simply knowing that, regardless of SQ, I could have done much worse for the price comforts me. Also, gotta say this 2 free Bass Freq deals did me in: I've destroyed all my earbuds lol. 

Hoping the gunmetal shields will be a good secondary look. I figured gunmetal looks the best on black when it's just a basic shield without any design on it. Blue was tempting but I was worried it would look out of place without a custom design on it. Also, hoping the SQ delivers. I've given up on the quest for truly balanced circumaural portables, but hoping the M-100s will prove to be the next best thing: really fun J-shaped portables. I haven't sold my previous headphones yet (haven't even looked into it yet as I wasn't planning on making a buy right now), so I should be able to compare the M-100s to my M-80s and KRK KNS 8400s. And: obligatory baller pic with all 3 headphones on top of each other for my avatar?

You'll love them. I got the exact same set up but I ordered before Val offered the free sets of headphones. Wish I had waited. The Gunmetal looks great on them. Sets them apart and makes mine look a bit more executive as I am 46 and look a bit funny traveling with my work partners and V-Modas. They all have Bose of course. I did grab the silver 3 button remote cable and that looks awesome with the gunmetal shields too. Enjoy. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #11,045 of 23,366
Hmm I was about to order my accessories from V-moda but they don't have Green shields at the moment for M-100s, so I'm going to wait.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #11,046 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm... Now I hope it was not a mistake to order m100 becaus i hate when Headphones sounds "distant" I experienced this effect with Sony MDR-1R and I absolutely hated the soundstage of them...
it was the only  Headphones i didnt realy like. 

IMO these dont sound distant

Female vocals are very intimite to my ears and sound as though they are singing directly to your ears, not sistant at all...male vocals a little more laid back but no distant 

I much prefer a wide soundstage than 2 blobs in your ears though...as most IEM´s present themselves

EDIT: I also have the gunmetal sheilds but I love the look of matt black so much I havent even tried putting them on yet, I think it would look great but Im a bit worried about how long it would take as I heard some people saying it took an hour to take them off lol 

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #11,047 of 23,366
Quote:

I would try it, but the felt is glued-on pretty well and I don't want to ruin the felt piece. Under the felt, you can actually feel a few pieces of plastic that are probably the same shape as the V-vents on the shield.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #11,048 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I would try it, but the felt is glued-on pretty well and I don't want to ruin the felt piece. Under the felt, you can actually feel a few pieces of plastic that are probably the same shape as the V-vents on the shield.

Yeah I'm just not brave enough to try. Nor do I want to void warranty by doing so.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #11,050 of 23,366
You're probably right but Im not willing to take that chance.

unless Val can lend some advice on how the felt affects the sound, and if removing/replacing it would void warranty.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #11,051 of 23,366
Hello I got the M100's for Christmas yesterday and I love everything about them except small comfort issues on my ledt ear sometimes. I have been looking forever but I can't find where somebody posed how to do the paper towel mod. Can somebody PLEASE link it for me. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #11,053 of 23,366
Quote:
Hello I got the M100's for Christmas yesterday and I love everything about them except small comfort issues on my ledt ear sometimes. I have been looking forever but I can't find where somebody posed how to do the paper towel mod. Can somebody PLEASE link it for me. Thanks.

I posted a few pics a few pages back. No explaination, but the pictures are pretty self explainatory.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #11,054 of 23,366
Quote:

Comfort improved quite a bit since I purchased them a few months ago, even without the mod.

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #11,055 of 23,366
Quote:

I posted a few pics a few pages back. No explaination, but the pictures are pretty self explainatory.

I went to the store and couldn't find them anywhere. But I checked the walmart.com website and found a few products that might be it, for example:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Aid-Only-Gauze-Dressing-Pads-3-x3-10-box/19314455

If this is the right thing you guys are talking about, what size is best? Ive seen 3x3, 4x4, 3x5, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back