V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #11,011 of 23,366
Quote:
I suppose frequency variation is about tradeoffs and I would imagine Val considered the impact of a low-mid dip on vocals, but this looks like it also helps explain the dynamic bass punch of the M-100.  Vocal presentation is important to me, even more than bass impact, and I don't hear this dip to the extent that it appears on the graph.  While mids could benefit from being more forward, I would never call them distant.  Certainly, the detail is there which doesn't appear on this graph.  I can listen to artists like Sade, Jewel, Sheryl Crow, Emeli Sande, Christina Perri and seriously enjoy the vocal presentation through the M-100.

Second'd. Maybe not as enjoyable as a more midcentric phone? But Josh Groban and his Christmas album still sounds pretty fantastic.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #11,015 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
Try the paper towel thing! ^^^

Thank you, I'm going to burn them in for quite some time and we will see. Does it have to be paper towels, can I use like rolled up square gauze pads?

I did this. It works well. I almost feel like the material doesn't affect the sound as much as paper towel. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll make a more critical analysis later, but I noticed that the sound stage is better and the lower mids are better presented as well as the bass complimenting things better. I feel like this is how the M-100 should have sounded like. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #11,016 of 23,366
I did this. It works well. I almost feel like the material doesn't affect the sound as much as paper towel. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll make a more critical analysis later, but I noticed that the sound stage is better and the lower mids are better presented as well as the bass complimenting things better. I feel like this is how the M-100 should have sounded like. 

You used gauze pads? Would you take some pictures if you got the time ?

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #11,017 of 23,366
I 'borrowed' some supplies from work lol
Someone mentioned wound dressing instead of paper towel and I was all over it. I liked the sound of it better than paper towel, more comfortable too I imagine, less scratchy. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #11,018 of 23,366
I 'borrowed' some supplies from work lol
Someone mentioned wound dressing instead of paper towel and I was all over it. I liked the sound of it better than paper towel, more comfortable too I imagine, less scratchy. 

Nice thanks for the quick reply, now is that placed all around the the pad or just the top and bottom?

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #11,019 of 23,366
Just top and bottom, I did it a la DigitalFreak's paper towel mod. Easy to uninstall and reinstall if needed. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #11,021 of 23,366
Been using the m100s with the accudio equalizer free app for the iPhone 5. All I can say is from the apps default eq setting, it helps lower a small amount of the bass just enough so it brings out higher vocals that are more in front and better instrument separation, making the listening experience (especially the vocals) a lot more enjoyable .

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #11,022 of 23,366
Quote:
That could be true for some. However, in my case I have no...erm... "brain bias" (Lol?). As the concept of burning in wasn't familiar to me before I came up with the decision that the Matte Black's sounded like ****, whilst the Shadows sounded great. I actually thought maybe my Matte Black unit was defective or something. So I did research and decided to wait to see if they would sound better, and they did. :wink: Although, since you were aware that people claim burn-in and you tried to test that theory, you probably did experience "brain bias" opposing that concept.

Edit: Keep in mind, your headphones were also from the VTF-100 batch. All of those headphones were tested by Val & company (mentioned in a previous post, from a while back) before being sent out. Giving them time to "burn in" by someone else, before you even received them. =)

If what you say is true, then your shadows would've sounded like **** at first as well. Did they?

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #11,023 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been ignoring this thread because I've been enjoying my M-100s too much ^_^ However, I've returned because I got a little moisture in them recently, and following that I've noticed a pop or clip in some songs. Listening for those specifically, I only hear them occasionally in lossy tracks, and not at all in lossless files, but I'm thinking that might be psychological. Anyone have an idea of what it might be? (oh yeah, this is unamped out of a macbook, might try it with my dac/amp)

I experienced this popping with another pair of headphones and it turned out to be caused by the EQ app I was using.  If you are running through an app, try running separately and see if that helps.

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #11,024 of 23,366
Quote:
I experienced this popping with another pair of headphones and it turned out to be caused by the EQ app I was using.  If you are running through an app, try running separately and see if that helps.

SCREW ITUNES :frowning2: I'll try Fidelia, Quicktime, or PowerAmp. I can't use Foobar since I'm in Mac land. At least I know it's not a problem with the M-100. Thanks Craigster. Everyone really appreciates what you contribute to these forums.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #11,025 of 23,366
Quote:
If what you say is true, then your shadows would've sounded like **** at first as well. Did they?

Unless he was affixiated on the Matte Black while listening to the shadows
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back