V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #10,861 of 23,366
I also prefer the amperior to the momentum. Found the amperior to be more capable with all types of music. Wish they'd just chuck in a case for that price!

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #10,862 of 23,366
Quote:
Does anyone know if I will be able to refuse delivery and the £57.99 customs charge as I did not expect customs to be this much...the headphones are coming to £290 which I cant really afford and I could order from the US for £240 (just checked) 

Would I need to pay for the return delivery/would they deffinatly be sent back to V-Moda so I could get a refund?

Thanks

Well they already ARE coming from the US technically so no matter what you'd be paying duty to have them shipped over the pond. In my experience, I've skipped customs duty by using standard post, but if I use FedEx or UPS priority shipping, I'll ALWAYS get bit with customs.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #10,863 of 23,366
I'm on the cusp of pairing these with the E17s, has anybody tried them out?

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #10,864 of 23,366
Quote:

Well they already ARE coming from the US technically so no matter what you'd be paying duty to have them shipped over the pond. In my experience, I've skipped customs duty by using standard post, but if I use FedEx or UPS priority shipping, I'll ALWAYS get bit with customs.

Ahh OK 

How are you getting on with your pair BTW? 

Could anyone tell me how Phaeleh sound...specifically Afterglow if you have it?

Cheers 

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #10,865 of 23,366
Well, after having them for a couple of days, I can say I'm very happy with them :)

I wouldn't consider myself audiophile. I just enjoy music a lot :). I listen from modern rock to electronic influenced music. I'll try to compare them with the Momentum, but for the few times I have tried the Momentum I don't think I'll need a change.

Running it from a Fiio E7. Vocals sounds very good to me, very detailed, don't feel I'm missing anything. Presentation is really good, soundstage is really really pleasant. Very engaging with music with powerful bass lines.

It's portabilty is awesome. Something I was really looking forward. I had a pair of AKG 450, which folds and fits my jacket pocket, and the M100 are just a bit more bulky.

And the Crimson Red shields are too shiny for my taste, will keep the matte black ones until I get the brushed metal ones. I happen to have a spray painting facility and a laser engraving facility at work, think I'll try some crazy customization in the future 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #10,866 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Ahh OK 

Cheers 

I'll check out that Phaeleh track in a while, I'm pretty sure I have it on my iPod.

But they are very nice. I'm just getting used to them. Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed out of the box, but I burned them in with drum and bass over night and they turned into a new monster. The detail retrieval is a new experience for me, especially in the highs, and all along the bass spectrum they seem to have some nice detail, but the bass roll off isn't as bottomless as I was hoping - my CKM500 IEMs hit pretty deep in comparison, but the midrange and highs are so lush and detailed it's really a winner. I was expecting more of a roll off in the highs but they roll off at just the right frequency to stay non-sibilant.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #10,867 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Ahh OK 

Cheers 

I'll check out that Phaeleh track in a while, I'm pretty sure I have it on my iPod.

But they are very nice. I'm just getting used to them. Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed out of the box, but I burned them in with drum and bass over night and they turned into a new monster. The detail retrieval is a new experience for me, especially in the highs, and all along the bass spectrum they seem to have some nice detail, but the bass roll off isn't as bottomless as I was hoping - my CKM500 IEMs hit pretty deep in comparison, but the midrange and highs are so lush and detailed it's really a winner. I was expecting more of a roll off in the highs but they roll off at just the right frequency to stay non-sibilant.

Rolled-off highs don't necessarily correlate with lack of sibilance. Usually a roll-off indicates lack of extension (rolled-off bass = lack of bass extension; rolled-off treble = lack of treble extension). Sibilance is the 4 kHz-8 kHz range-ish (female vocal "ss" sounds and snare drum hits) and the M-100 definitely doesn't have any roll-off there. A lack of a treble peak in that area does correlate with a lack of sibilance. Comparing the frequency response curves of the Amperior (super sibilant to my ears) to the M-100, the Amperior definitely has a higher curve in that region.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #10,868 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks man...shame to hear about the bass extension, I expect my DT770´s will extend deeper then :frowning2: 

Oh well...looking forward to them sooooo much, never spent or heard a headphone of this price range before, hopefully getting them tomorrow if all goes to plan :D

Please post some good bassy tunes that show off the M100´s wonderfully!

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #10,869 of 23,366
Quote:
It's really a shame because they are beautiful, light, well-made headphones and I really wanted to like them.

Same here, I was in love with its feel/looks etc of the Sennheiser Momentums when helding them in my hands but putting them on my ears I was very quickly dissappointed with the quality of the whole frequency range. Shrill highs, hollow mids, boomy bass and left standing wondering why the pricetag was so high as it was.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #10,870 of 23,366

Rolled-off highs don't necessarily correlate with lack of sibilance. Usually a roll-off indicates lack of extension (rolled-off bass = lack of bass extension; rolled-off treble = lack of treble extension). Sibilance is the 4 kHz-8 kHz range-ish (female vocal "ss" sounds and snare drum hits) and the M-100 definitely doesn't have any roll-off there. A lack of a treble peak in that area does correlate with a lack of sibilance. Comparing the frequency response curves of the Amperior (super sibilant to my ears) to the M-100, the Amperior definitely has a higher curve in that region.
[/quote]

Okay I was always under the impression the higher frequencies are what cause the painful sibilant noises. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #10,872 of 23,366
I got them!!!!

I was out, but just got back, and couldn't wait to unbox.

First impressions! Wow... they are small.
No one can possibly prepare you until you see them yourself how small they actually are.

The Shadows look a lot better in person than I was expecting!

Put them on, and instant isolation after clicking the sides down slightly. Hearing stuff around me is very dimmed.
I'm not getting any pain though, but my ears are getting a slight numb feeling after having them on for 10 minutes, but no actual pain.
Don't think any part of my ears are hitting the driver covers :)

So... the sound? Well, at the moment, I think they are a bit new, so I'm giving them a chance to loosen a bit.

These impressions are straight from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with no amping what so ever. The volume can reach max but that is really too much. A few notches down is perfect for most songs.

The bass is pretty damn good, and don't seem to have a problem with the lows.
If I EQ the bass to be even more pronounced though, and also make the treble ranges go higher too, the phones go deeper/brighter than they do flat for sure. So the treble/bass on its own isn't all that extended to my ears... surprising I know, though on a few songs I'm testing now, like Some Chords by Deadmau 5, I feel the bass could become a problem for me.

However as Miceblue has noted, at the moment at least, the mids are slightly clouded. They seem lost in the bass even though the bass isn't as pronounced as I expected, and I know what he was getting at now.
For example, I'm listening to a song now with guitars in the mids, and I can't hear the subtle guitar strums I could hear on even my dads cheap set even... It's more mixed in.

The higher mids and trebles though are pretty damn good..

I do have to admit though, at the moment, I'm not blown away. I was expecting something a lot more detailed than what I've gotten at the moment.
Switching to sound output from Optical to the Logitech Z-5500 unit and out of the headphone socket doesn't really have much difference. Least I can't tell a quality difference.

---

All in all though, I feel they do need to loosen up. My PX-100's, and ii's certainly did when I recieved them.
So at the moment, not all is lost.

I'm sure in the next week or so, the clarity will improve some.

EDIT:

That track above, Backadown by Trombone Shorty sounds pretty great though through the PC.

I think partly, I'm not used to the closed type of headphone. All my sets have been somewhat open sounding you see, so maybe my ears aren't used to what I'm getting here.

I'm not thinking "I have to listen to my whole audio collection again', as I was expecting to feel like doing.

I'm slightly worried I would have prefered a more mid centric phone, as aposed to a more bass centric phone... but we will see.

The EQ on the PC is flat as far as I can tell.

EDIT 2:

Phaeleh - Afterglow.

First impressions. Very airy... The details are actually really crisp. Her vocals have a lot of space around them if that makes sense.
Turning up the headphones a bit, and the claps have a very crisp sound.

Actually, turning the headphones up on my PC system improves the sound a lot more than turning up the sound does on my phone...

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #10,873 of 23,366
musical-kage your first impressions are exactly how I felt. After an over night burn in though, they loosened up and sound much better, and I can safely say I AM blown away by them now, and I have barely had an hour of listening on them.

I also eqd the bass To get better sub bass rumble, and the lower highs up a notch to get that sparkle in the cymbals.

does anybody have spacers And have problems with the seal? I think my ear jewelry is getting in the way of a proper seal.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #10,874 of 23,366
Quote:
musical-kage your first impressions are exactly how I felt. After an over night burn in though, they loosened up and sound much better, and I can safely say I AM blown away by them now, and I have barely had an hour of listening on them.
I also eqd the bass To get better sub bass rumble, and the lower highs up a notch to get that sparkle in the cymbals.
does anybody have spacers And have problems with the seal? I think my ear jewelry is getting in the way of a proper seal.

How did you burn them in over night? What did you play through them and at what typical volume (since their won't be a head around them).

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10,875 of 23,366
Direct from my laptop hp jack on MediaMonkey at 75% volume using 320chr mp3 drum and bass.
I use dnb to burn in because the bass is fast and the high hats are relentless. Also helps that 95% of my listening is dnb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back