V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #10,697 of 23,366
Quote:
First post after having followed these forums for a while as a guest! *waves small flag*

I'm trying to decide between the "Ocean" blue and the dark blue for my custom shields. I'm planning on buying the matte black option, which do you guys think will look better on it?

The dark blue looks amazing on my white M-100s.  Customization is all personal preference and one of the many great things about the M-100.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #10,698 of 23,366
Are these really worth the $300 sound quality wise. I listen to EDM exclusively and I am currently looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900 but I've heard some good things about the M-100. Could I possibly use these in a home computer setup with a Schiit Modi and Magni? or would you say they are designed as primarily a portable set of cans. I have a Fiio E11 for my portable rig. Does the bass have deep extension?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #10,699 of 23,366
Quote:
Are these really worth the $300 sound quality wise. I listen to EDM exclusively and I am currently looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900 but I've heard some good things about the M-100. Could I possibly use these in a home computer setup with a Schiit Modi and Magni? or would you say they are designed as primarily a portable set of cans. I have a Fiio E11 for my portable rig. Does the bass have deep extension?

If you're looking for the best sound out of $300 and you listen to EDM exclusively, I would say the M-100 is perfect for you. I found the Ultrasone PRO900's to be quite harsh and sibilant for my personal tastes...way too much treble energy for me to enjoy anything out of them. If you compare the PRO900 to the M-100, there is pretty much no comparison. The M-100 is far more detailed, better bass extension, and actually has a decent midrange relatively speaking. The PRO900 has better treble extension at the cost of making it very fatiguing to listen to and sibilant for female vocals or other "ssss" sounds. To me the S-Logic technology doesn't work.

The Schiit Modi/Magni should be fine with the M-100. If they're similar in sound to the competing O2/ODAC, they'll sound amazing with the M-100 (that's my current home rig). The M-100's are a portable headphone, but they do benefit nicely from an amp depending on how good your current setup is. Looking at your list of gear, I think you would benefit from a portable amp such as the FiiO E7 or E11 for example.

Yes the M-100 has really excellent bass extension, more so than the PRO900 from my experience.

Quote:
Quote:
First post after having followed these forums for a while as a guest! *waves small flag*

I'm trying to decide between the "Ocean" blue and the dark blue for my custom shields. I'm planning on buying the matte black option, which do you guys think will look better on it?

The dark blue looks amazing on my white M-100s.  Customization is all personal preference and one of the many great things about the M-100.

I was going to suggest "midnight blue" if you want a sleeker appearance, "ocean blue" if you want to stand out a little more. "Ocean blue" on the white M-100 is pretty striking in my opinion.
If you get a chance, could you upload a photo of the "midnight blue" on white silver? I'm curious myself to see how different they are from the "ocean blue".

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #10,700 of 23,366
I've been talking to people about the Pro 900 but I really do not think it is what's right for me at this moment, mainly since I'm afraid of the harsh highs it is said to have. I have nowhere to go demo the pro 900 so I do not think it is worth the risk. I think the M-100 are going to be my next pair of cans, and should sound great with all my electro tech, House, Indie Dance, DnB, and Dubstep. I remember someone a while back saying that Daft Punk sounded great on these. like I said I actually do have a Fiio E11, but still how much does the M-100 benefit from amping? Is there any longer cords that V-moda offers? Aesthetically speaking, would you think Matte Black with the dark blue shields would look good? I'm asking you because yours are absolutely beautiful but seeing as my DAP is a black Ipod classic I'm a bit finicky about matching the colors so I want black.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #10,701 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been taking to people about the Pro 900 but I really do not think it is what's right for me at this moment, mainly since I'm afraid of the harsh highs it is said to have. I have nowhere to go demo the pro 900 so I do not think it is worth the risk. I think the M-100 are going to be my next pair of cans, like I said I actually do have a Fiio E11, but still how much does the M-100 benefit from amping? Is there any longer cords that V-moda offers? Aesthetically speaking, would you think Matte Black with the dark blue shields would look good? I'm asking you because yours are absolutely beautiful but seeing as my DAP is a black Ipod classic I'm a bit finicky about matching the colors so I want black.

Oh sorry about that I didn't see the E11 part of your post earlier. From my experience with the E7, the M-100 has an improved clarity across the whole sound spectrum which makes instruments a little more crisper and defined. Likewise, the soundstage and instrument separation are increased a bit such that there is more space between instruments and left/right imaging is improved. Also, the chest-thumping bass effect is increased for me. I believe Craigster75 owns an E11 so maybe he can provide some details about that amp specifically.

If you end up not liking the M-100, and you purchase it from an authorised V-MODA retailer/reseller, you get a 60-day test trial, meaning you can return it for a full refund.

How much longer of a cord do you need? Currently, V-MODA has a ~6 ft. long SharePlay cable and the Coil Pro cable's length is not released yet. The M-100 does use a standard 3.5mm/3.5mm cable though, so you could probably find a longer cable that fits into the M-100.

For a black iPod Classic, I think the dark blue shields would look quite nice with the matte black M-100's. Way back in August, I was contemplating between a matte black M-100 with either green, purple, or dark blue shields, with the dark blue shields looking the nicest. Purple looks OK, green stands out, but I think the midnight blue is just plain sleek.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #10,702 of 23,366
Either Craigster and I are long lost brothers or we are the only two people that received a futuristic mutated perfect species of the M100 spawn. The sound, fit, features, and appearance...everything about them is exceedingly satisfying. It's as if they were specifically custom designed for me. They have changed me for the better. I don't even 'accidentally' try to hit people with the shopping cart in the supermarket anymore. Yeah, they are that good.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #10,703 of 23,366
Finally received my Shadow version of the M100s today.. Yes, finally. Anyone that is seeking advice on whether to get these or not, I'll put it simple. Are they worth $300? Imo it depends on what you listen to. I listen to a wide variety music genres that fall under the electronic category. pretty much any type of electronic music you can think of. I also listen to a lot of hip-hop and rap. If you listen to these genres, then you will LOVE these headphones. The mids are definitely recessed, even after I did the paper towel mod ( on the top and bottom .) I'm using the heaphones with the Rocoo P, which btw if you did not now is a DAP/ MP3 with an amp integrated into the player. The headphone sounds amazing with a regular source like a phone or iPod, but I seriously recommend an amp like the e7 or the zo2, because it sounds phenomenal! The soundstage when connected to my Rocoo P was WOW! I definitely prefer these headphones over my old M80s, but if you don't really listen to same genres as me, then I'd probably recommend you to save your money and get the M80s or some other headphone.

More info on paper towel mod: I believe this mod was initially recommended by DigitalFreak and it is great. It helps bring out the mids some and brings down the bass a bit as well. The mids and bass compensate from a portable amp, so don't worry about losing too much bass because of the mod, if you have an amp. As for comfort, these headphones were not uncomfortable to begin with. The drivers did touch my ears, but I did not really feel anything even after a couple of hours. With the mod however, the headphone feels much more comfortable, and my ears are no longer in contact with the drivers ( at least it does not feel like it.)

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #10,704 of 23,366
Quote:
Either Craigster and I are long lost brothers or we are the only two people that received a futuristic mutated perfect species of the M100 spawn. The sound, fit, features, and appearance...everything about them is exceedingly satisfying. It's as if they were specifically custom designed for me. They have changed me for the better. I don't even 'accidentally' try to hit people with the shopping cart in the supermarket anymore. Yeah, they are that good.

You two aren't the only ones I'm pretty happy with my M-100's too. I'm so happy I've stopped hitting the accelerator when j walking idiots wander in front of my car. Its complete zen on my side of the screen.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #10,705 of 23,366
Oooh that green shield is pretty darn sexy, although I think I'll get the matte black with the dark blue shields. t's a bit more my style.
 Do you know when the coil pro is coming out? I think I will like the M-100, Bass emphasis combined with clarity across the midrange and highs is exactly what I am looking for. I am actually very anxious to order it now but I have a little more saving to do, haha!

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #10,706 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been talking to people about the Pro 900 but I really do not think it is what's right for me at this moment, mainly since I'm afraid of the harsh highs it is said to have. I have nowhere to go demo the pro 900 so I do not think it is worth the risk. I think the M-100 are going to be my next pair of cans, and should sound great with all my electro tech, House, Indie Dance, DnB, and Dubstep. I remember someone a while back saying that Daft Punk sounded great on these. like I said I actually do have a Fiio E11, but still how much does the M-100 benefit from amping? Is there any longer cords that V-moda offers? Aesthetically speaking, would you think Matte Black with the dark blue shields would look good? I'm asking you because yours are absolutely beautiful but seeing as my DAP is a black Ipod classic I'm a bit finicky about matching the colors so I want black.

Nah. but I just ordered this yesterday:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PCF8WS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Read some reviews on it and it seems decent enough, there is a 10 foot and 20 foot version but both are said to not be actual lengths.
I got that for my TV to be more comfortable, and as a PS3 audio extension.
I can give you an update on it when it arrives, if you'd like.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #10,708 of 23,366
Quote:
Where is this bass you guys are describing?! Maybe I have a defective unit, but thats unheard of.

I don't know what to tell you if you hear less bass with the M100s compared to the M80s.  It's not really even close...the depth, the quality and quantity are all superior (for the music I listen to anyway) to the M80s.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #10,709 of 23,366
Quote:
If that really is what you have found, then woh, but I don't know how you've found that.
Do the ear pads press against your ears well?

Complete opposite of what Miceblue found, though the treble extension is meant to be better indeed on the M-100's.

I have a question for you guys. If Customs Processing has complete, is it complete in the US, ready to be shipped... or does that mean they are in the UK?

Customs Processing is complete means that your headphones are in the UK....in my case one day later the status changed to "arrival at the post office" at which point I thought all was good.... however a few hours later the status changed to "payment of charges - item being held back, addresse being notified"...   I couple of days later I got a notification letter from Parcelforce that there is a customs charge of £57.99 to be paid before the item can be delivered or picked up from their depot in Charlton (east london)....you can pay the charges online and they claim to deliver the next working day after payment is completed

hopefully you get lucky and no charge is imposed on you but as some people have said before, the tracked parcels from the States do get the attention of the UK Border Agency....

I think I will be picking it up myself today to avoid any further delay....

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #10,710 of 23,366
Quote:
Where is this bass you guys are describing?! Maybe I have a defective unit, but thats unheard of.

I doubt your unit is defective. Perhaps your not use to over ear headphones? Not sure what your headphone background is. Try repositioning the cups via the headband extender to make sure they are both on your ears right. Likewise for not extending too much. Hmmm... Weird indeed. Personally, I feel a ton of bass, more than I've ever felt on headphones before. My chest thumps hard during certain electronic songs and I can't think straight because it is so overwhelming, and pleasurable, at how hard of a punch it can give.

Also, remember for each headphone you need to altar the volume in comparison to other headphones because not all headphones have the same optimal level, even if they are made by the same company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back