V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 18, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #10,711 of 23,366
Quote:
Are these really worth the $300 sound quality wise. I listen to EDM exclusively and I am currently looking at the Ultrasone Pro 900 but I've heard some good things about the M-100. Could I possibly use these in a home computer setup with a Schiit Modi and Magni? or would you say they are designed as primarily a portable set of cans. I have a Fiio E11 for my portable rig. Does the bass have deep extension?

They are not worth $300.  They are worth much more.  The more headphones I hear, the more I realize that the M-100 is fairly close to my ideal of sonic perfection.  See my most recent comparison to the new Velodyne VTrue on that thread.  After A/Bing for a few hours, the VTrue is going back as it doesn't bring anything new to the table and doesn't do many things as well as the M-100 at $100 more.
Quote:
I actually do have a Fiio E11, but still how much does the M-100 benefit from amping?

While I have ordered Vamp since the price on Amazon was too good to resist, the E11 pairs extremely well with the M-100 and really brings out the low end which goes to the deepest regions of bass.  Since receiving a ZO2.3 the other day, I have been double amping with the E11 and been blown away.  The M-100 retains the detailed mids, extended highs and spaciousness while providing thunderous, vibrating, deep satisfying bass.
Quote:
Either Craigster and I are long lost brothers or we are the only two people that received a futuristic mutated perfect species of the M100 spawn. The sound, fit, features, and appearance...everything about them is exceedingly satisfying. It's as if they were specifically custom designed for me. They have changed me for the better. I don't even 'accidentally' try to hit people with the shopping cart in the supermarket anymore. Yeah, they are that good.

Quote:
You two aren't the only ones I'm pretty happy with my M-100's too. I'm so happy I've stopped hitting the accelerator when j walking idiots wander in front of my car. Its complete zen on my side of the screen.

To anyone on the fence reading through this thread, the M-100 is the best marriage of basshead and audiophile headphone in its price range manufactured to date.  Some of you may be reading between the lines at critical comments and are magnifying them into dealbreakers.  I am guilty of doing the same with other headphones.  All I can say is, I have listened to about 50 headphones this year (not exaggerating) and the M-100 is the only one so far I am keeping because it exceeds all my expectations.  I keep searching for something even better just because, but I haven't found it.  I bought them with the first production run without hearing them and they are the best audio purchase I have made in 25 years since I bought my Advent Maiestro tower speakers back in the day and still have them incorporated into my home theatre system.  The three of us have been some of the most active posters on this thread and speaking for myself, and probably largemouth bass and DigitalFreak, I have no agenda other than to share my great experience with these headphones so that others can enjoy them and make the best possible purchase with their valuable discretionary income.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #10,712 of 23,366
I just got these a few hours ago and am listening out of the Xonar Essence ST amped headphone output. The sound quality is excellent and I feel an improvement over my A900s. Although, I wish the mids were more pronounced and forward. Surprisingly, I kind of prefer the mids in the Beats (yes, I know they're supposed to be terrible) because it makes the music jump out at you and more personal, as if the artists are singing right next to your ears. The mids for these seem more laid back but EQ can probably change that. I'm curious if anyone else feels the mids are somewhat recessed. In the end, it's not about sound quality but preference.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #10,713 of 23,366
I think after all the HP's I've tried this past few months I'm going to bite the bullet with the M-100's. I've had some dissapointments with recommendations lately (I'm looking at you 770Pro/80) so I'm really hoping most of the comments in the thread are true to form.

They're sounding more and more like the perfect HP for me which would probably be an AT Pro700Mk2 with extended highs and bigger soundstage (unfortunately the Pro700Mk2 is ridiculously uncomfortable so had to go but I still maintain is one of the best sounding bassy headphones I've ever tried!).

Here's to hoping that Amazon UK finally get some stock soon and that all the hype is true :) thanks again to everyone for their comparisons and thoughts, even the ones that didn't get replies, your thoughts are heard!

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #10,714 of 23,366
Quote:
They are not worth $300.  They are worth much more.  The more headphones I hear, the more I realize that the M-100 is fairly close to my ideal of sonic perfection.  See my most recent comparison to the new Velodyne VTrue on that thread.  After A/Bing for a few hours, the VTrue is going back as it doesn't bring anything new to the table and doesn't do many things as well as the M-100 at $100 more.
While I have ordered Vamp since the price on Amazon was too good to resist, the E11 pairs extremely well with the M-100 and really brings out the low end which goes to the deepest regions of bass.  Since receiving a ZO2.3 the other day, I have been double amping with the E11 and been blown away.  The M-100 retains the detailed mids, extended highs and spaciousness while providing thunderous, vibrating, deep satisfying bass.

To anyone on the fence reading through this thread, the M-100 is the best marriage of basshead and audiophile headphone in its price range manufactured to date.  Some of you may be reading between the lines at critical comments and are magnifying them into dealbreakers.  I am guilty of doing the same with other headphones.  All I can say is, I have listened to about 50 headphones this year (not exaggerating) and the M-100 is the only one so far I am keeping because it exceeds all my expectations.  I keep searching for something even better just because, but I haven't found it.  I bought them with the first production run without hearing them and they are the best audio purchase I have made in 25 years since I bought my Advent Maiestro tower speakers back in the day and still have them incorporated into my home theatre system.  The three of us have been some of the most active posters on this thread and speaking for myself, and probably largemouth bass and DigitalFreak, I have no agenda other than to share my great experience with these headphones so that others can enjoy them and make the best possible purchase with their valuable discretionary income.

Just because of the sheer number of people that seem to be taking people's minor niggles as complete deal breakers, I'm quoting this  post for truth in its entirety.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #10,715 of 23,366
Quote:
How would I wear it wrong?

Yeah, I'm not sure what's wrong with mine.

When I first put them on I tried to fit my overly large ears inside the cups, actually folding and stuffing them in, it was a bit ridiculous now that I think about it.  Anyway, when I took them off and then put them back on my ears so that it was resting on the topmost part and my lobe I found it sealed right and there was a subtle, but world-changing difference in bass. The bass has to be able to vibrate your ears/head/neck, it's different for different head shapes so it wouldn't be useful for me to give you an x-ray of my ears with the headphones on, experiment and find what works for you.

If you ordered white ear cups that could also be a factor as those were the old LP2 cups that transmit slightly less bass, it should still be more than the M-80s though.

If after all this the bass still isn't greater than the M-80s, then I would contact V-Moda support.

Out of interest, what other tracks are you using to test? Try some of the tracks on here, I find most of them to flatter the M-100s:

100s

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #10,716 of 23,366
Today, my headphones arrived at the post office, and just checked now and it said on the tracking.

ATTEMPTED DELIVERY ABROAD

Looks like they weren't held for duty charges. However... no sign of them at the door.
Could it mean they've sent it off in a van?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #10,718 of 23,366
Attempted delivery usually means either there was a signature needed or that the item was too big for your letterbox, there is usually a red slip (if it's royal mail) that tells you that you were out and they tried to deliver and what you can do to get it. Worth giving your post office a call if they haven't left that slip.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #10,719 of 23,366
Weird...

They've never forgotten to leave a slip before. I'm 100% sure address is right too 

I can't be sure who was really meant to deliver it can I? From the US to me? It was sent via Priority delivery with Upus or summit in the US. The option costing 40 dollars.

Oh where oh where is it lol . It doesn't say who was meant to pick it up :frowning2:

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #10,720 of 23,366
M-100 is on CNET's Homepage today, thanks everybody for the feedback.  Trust me I am reading every comment and all of your feedback has been vital and I thank you all.

Happy Holidays!

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #10,721 of 23,366
TV's under $500? No way!

Anyway, after two full months of usage (got'em Oct 17) I can def say that these are pretty perfect for me as well as Largemouth bass and Craigster have said. It's a pretty damn good can, and I haven't had any issues with them.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #10,723 of 23,366
I was testing some of my installed video playback programs on my computer yesterday, and I never knew that each one is not equal in quality. . . Of the programs I had ITunes was by far the worse, and VLC media player is the best one I have. Sorry if this is somewhat off topic.

Is there any music playback programs (for mp3, mp4) that anyone can suggest that have better quality than VLC media player?
It made a pretty big difference in detail, so I just wanna make sure I have the best software I can for audio playback. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: Nevermind. I researched a bit and a review said MediaMonkey, then Winamp, was best so I'll try one of those, unless someone else has a different experience. :) Thank you!

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #10,724 of 23,366
Quote:
I was testing some of my installed video playback programs on my computer yesterday, and I never knew that each one is not equal in quality. . . Of the programs I had ITunes was by far the worse, and VLC media player is the best one I have. Sorry if this is somewhat off topic.

Is there any music playback programs (for mp3, mp4) that anyone can suggest that have better quality than VLC media player?
It made a pretty big difference in detail, so I just wanna make sure I have the best software I can for audio playback. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit: Nevermind. I researched a bit and a review said MediaMonkey, then Winamp, was best so I'll try one of those, unless someone else has a different experience. :) Thank you!

I personally use Winamp and love it! So many plugins to do many different things. I have it running all kinds of module formats too, like snes, megadrive/Genesis, Saturn, all the popular Amiga formats etc.
Really kewl :)

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #10,725 of 23,366
I remember a member stating that they weren't getting the bass they were expecting out of the M100s...  I think positioning of the headphone may have to do with that, not 100% certain as I don't have an M100, nor do I know if you can reposition them like other headphones (like the M80).  If you move the housings towards the front of your head (even a little), it could boost bass a bit, if you move them back, it could reduce them.  I know this was the same story with other headphones (M80, P3, UE9000, HM5...).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back