V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #10,726 of 23,366
Quote:
Where is this bass you guys are describing?! Maybe I have a defective unit, but thats unheard of.

I'm begining to think that yours may have been mistakenly fitted with LP pads. I no longer own the M-100's (as I've returned them), but going off memory, that was the most significant change in sound for me. Bass perceptually has a lighter footprint than the M-80's, with the LP pads.

Val,
In hindsight, I really wish there was(or perhaps will be) such a pad that place these headphones in alignment to the M-80's. I love virtually everything about the M-80's; but comfort is its Achilles heel. I may check these out again if someone figures out the right tweak that will satisfy the M-80 fanboys =-P

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #10,727 of 23,366
Quote:
To anyone on the fence reading through this thread, the M-100 is the best marriage of basshead and audiophile headphone in its price range manufactured to date.  Some of you may be reading between the lines at critical comments and are magnifying them into dealbreakers.  I am guilty of doing the same with other headphones.  All I can say is, I have listened to about 50 headphones this year (not exaggerating) and the M-100 is the only one so far I am keeping because it exceeds all my expectations.  I keep searching for something even better just because, but I haven't found it.  I bought them with the first production run without hearing them and they are the best audio purchase I have made in 25 years since I bought my Advent Maiestro tower speakers back in the day and still have them incorporated into my home theatre system.  The three of us have been some of the most active posters on this thread and speaking for myself, and probably largemouth bass and DigitalFreak, I have no agenda other than to share my great experience with these headphones so that others can enjoy them and make the best possible purchase with their valuable discretionary income.

Absolutely without a doubt 100% correct.  I certainly haven't used 50 headphones this year, but I have used about 10 and they were all missing that "IT" that made me want to go home and just listen to music or even think about bringing the headphones to work to listen to at lunch.  I have done that every day since I received my M100s last week.  They are the best headphones I've ever heard and a great progression for Val and V-MODA.  I owned the original LPs, the LP2s and the M80s prior and the M100s are exactly what I was expecting.  The comfort and badass looks of the LP2 (matte black stealth ftw) with an even more impressive sound than the M80s.  

Mission accomplished.  

It's really something when I don't have to scour Head-Fi looking for the next big thing when it comes to headphones...I'm perfectly content and I doubt I'll really ever look to upgrade.  (famous last words I know)

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #10,728 of 23,366
Quote:

I personally use Winamp and love it! So many plugins to do many different things. I have it running all kinds of module formats too, like snes, megadrive/Genesis, Saturn, all the popular Amiga formats etc.
Really kewl :)

Just got MediaMonkey and I'm loving it already. I made my fiancee get it too since she still uses iTunes to play back her audio. How she can deal with the poor iTunes quality is beyond me. She thought it was great though...
Now let's see her comparison impressions :p:
"wow amazing. I was thinking iTunes is good. But god this is a beast. I'm never using iTunes again XD"

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #10,729 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

I personally use Winamp and love it! So many plugins to do many different things. I have it running all kinds of module formats too, like snes, megadrive/Genesis, Saturn, all the popular Amiga formats etc.
Really kewl :)

Just got MediaMonkey and I'm loving it already. I made my fiancee get it too since she still uses iTunes to play back her audio. How she can deal with the poor iTunes quality is beyond me. She thought it was great though...
Now let's see her comparison impressions :p:
"wow amazing. I was thinking iTunes is good. But god this is a beast. I'm never using iTunes again XD"

I have to ask, can MediaMonkey sync with iPod touch? it's the only reason I don't use WinAmp or Foobar2k, because they don't recognize my iPod touch.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #10,730 of 23,366
Quote:
I have to ask, can MediaMonkey sync with iPod touch? it's the only reason I don't use WinAmp or Foobar2k, because they don't recognize my iPod touch.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_ipod_sync

Looked it up on google, and yes its possible. However I just use iTunes for dropping the music in and syncing with my iPod. So I still plan to do it that way for my iPod. But I wouldn't listen to audio playback via my computer with iTunes. Maybe I'll look further into the sync through media monkey at a later date =P!

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #10,731 of 23,366
Omg I love it already. Thanks for mentioning it. I hate iTunes and iPod integration is the ONLY reason I use it. I'll now just use this. How 'worth it' is it to buy Gold version?

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #10,733 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
You two aren't the only ones I'm pretty happy with my M-100's too. I'm so happy I've stopped hitting the accelerator when j walking idiots wander in front of my car. Its complete zen on my side of the screen.

To anyone on the fence reading through this thread, the M-100 is the best marriage of basshead and audiophile headphone in its price range manufactured to date.  Some of you may be reading between the lines at critical comments and are magnifying them into dealbreakers.  I am guilty of doing the same with other headphones.  All I can say is, I have listened to about 50 headphones this year (not exaggerating) and the M-100 is the only one so far I am keeping because it exceeds all my expectations.  I keep searching for something even better just because, but I haven't found it.  I bought them with the first production run without hearing them and they are the best audio purchase I have made in 25 years since I bought my Advent Maiestro tower speakers back in the day and still have them incorporated into my home theatre system.  The three of us have been some of the most active posters on this thread and speaking for myself, and probably largemouth bass and DigitalFreak, I have no agenda other than to share my great experience with these headphones so that others can enjoy them and make the best possible purchase with their valuable discretionary income.

While I see where you're going with this, I think it's important to list how the M-100 sounds:
  1. it does have a large bass emphasis
  2. the midrange is laid-back
  3. the treble extension is a bit lacking
  4. (maybe it's just me, but the soundstage isn't the most spacious I've heard in a closed-back headphone)

Prospective buyers looking for a headphone like to know what the headphone sounds like and that's been a general consensus of what the M-100 sounds like. Not everyone likes that kind of sound, especially if you're used to a headphone with a forward midrange and less of a bass emphasis. Many people consider the midrange the core of an audio track, and I think the M-100 misses the spot on that portion of the sound spectrum, especially in the way it's presented to the listener. The M-100 isn't a bad headphone and I never said it was bad, but I think it's important to let others know what it sounds like and they can decide for themself whether or not they like that particular sound.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #10,734 of 23,366
Quote:
While I see where you're going with this, I think it's important to list how the M-100 sounds:
  4. (maybe it's just me, but the soundstage isn't the most spacious I've heard in a closed-back headphone)

Prospective buyers looking for a headphone like to know what the headphone sounds like and that's been a general consensus of what the M-100 sounds like. Not everyone likes that kind of sound, especially if you're used to a headphone with a forward midrange and less of a bass emphasis. Many people consider the midrange the core of an audio track, and I think the M-100 misses the spot on that portion of the sound spectrum, especially in the way it's presented to the listener. The M-100 isn't a bad headphone and I never said it was bad, but I think it's important to let others know what it sounds like and they can decide for themself whether or not they like that particular sound.

That was the whole point of my earlier post.  Since we are hearing the same sound but interpreting its satisfaction in a different way, I think anyone on the fence should give the M-100 a try since V-Moda does have a liberal return policy.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #10,735 of 23,366
Quote:

I think your being a bit contradicting in some of your posts though...for example when I read some of your posts I start having doubts over if I should have purchased it or not, but in others you claim it to be the best in class that you have heard! 

Instead of just pointing out its flaws I think it would be more benificial to say what other headphones do better for the same price, like what headphone has a more forward midrange with the same bass emphasis, extension and quality...and are portable too? No point saying that your open backed cans have better soundstage and a more forward midrange...its like saying I like the Ferrari but it doesnt have the same boot space as a Range Rover!

Your posts have been very helpful though and I appreciate it!

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #10,737 of 23,366
Quote:
Still no sign of headphones even if the headphones were apparently attempted a delivery.
Certainly wasn't my house it was attempted at lol...
Bit wary now

I remember some past post saying that it was attempted delivery to their house but no one ever came as well. (i.e. post man was too lazy and just marked it as he tried but he didn't, lol) <-- so nothing to worry about, just go down and get them probably :)

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #10,738 of 23,366
Quote:

I remember some past post saying that it was attempted delivery to their house but no one ever came as well. (i.e. post man was too lazy and just marked it as he tried but he didn't, lol) <-- so nothing to worry about, just go down and get them probably :)

But it will be post man, not parcel force or DHL or similar?
I will ring them tomorrow but I'm at work all week til late :frowning2:

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #10,739 of 23,366
Quote:
M-100 is on CNET's Homepage today, thanks everybody for the feedback.  Trust me I am reading every comment and all of your feedback has been vital and I thank you all.

Happy Holidays!

Been' a while Val - that's great news!

I have a question - do you have any new knowledge to share with us regarding the possibility of deeper ear pads? I've been looking for a while and I can't seem to find a headphone that meets my needs better than the M-100's did - I tried the UE6000, Momentum, PSB M4U 1 - so I figure I may be going back to them if the shallow cup issue is remedied.

Any good news for us on that front?

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #10,740 of 23,366
Hey guys, I have a (possible) problem with my V-Moda M-100's.

I just received my set of M-100's today and I have to say; there sounds like there's little to no bass. It really freaked me out when i first plugged them in and put on a song. I thought it may have just been a low quality song, so i chucked on a Bassnectar song (off the Wildstyle EP) @ 320kbps, and same thing. I'm seriously likening the bass to a $20 cheapo pair at the moment.

Im running them straight of my iPhone 5. Most of my songs are high quality VRB MP3's. Im going to keep trying them out, but i need to ask:

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does this mean I need an amp?

What the hell is going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back