V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #10,756 of 23,366
Quote:
How does the M100 fare against M50 ?

Depends what you listen to. The mids are quite recessed, which means that many genres will not sound great on them. I listen to everything so that sucks a bit for me, but I mostly listen to rap and electronic genres and they are AMAZING for those genres. The soundstage is WoW, amplified with my Rocoo P, sounds incredible. 

I also owned M50s for over two years, just sold them actually. They are more balanced and will sound great with almost everything, if not everything. SO it depends. If you listen to what I listen, ten I definitely recommend spending that extra money for the m100s, but if you listen to other types of music, then get the m50s. 

I absolutely love how my m100s sound witht he paper towel mod. I also have the LP pads and they drastically change the sound. The mids are brought out more than any paper towel mod and the bass is brought down a lot!! I was actually able to enjoy some classic rock. Not the best, but much better mids than the stock pads.

I also believe that the paper towel mod (top & bottom) sounds better than anything on the m100s.... better than stock earpads (unmodded) or even the Lp pads. The bass is just so perfect.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #10,757 of 23,366
Quote:
Ok, Im going to try out some of these suggestions. I just got to work, so i'll get some FLAC's cranking through MediaMonkey, try the different cables, etc, and get back to you.

Make sure the cable is correct way in, try both inputs, make sure cable is in all the way. 

-V

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #10,759 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a (possible) problem with my V-Moda M-100's.

I just received my set of M-100's today and I have to say; there sounds like there's little to no bass. It really freaked me out when i first plugged them in and put on a song. I thought it may have just been a low quality song, so i chucked on a Bassnectar song (off the Wildstyle EP) @ 320kbps, and same thing. I'm seriously likening the bass to a $20 cheapo pair at the moment.

Im running them straight of my iPhone 5. Most of my songs are high quality VRB MP3's. Im going to keep trying them out, but i need to ask:

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does this mean I need an amp?

What the hell is going on?

[size=10pt]Ok, well after some extensive listening, there definitely is bass. I may not have plugged the cord in correctly this morning [/size]
rolleyes.gif
[size=10pt]. Regardless, I did a little bit of EQing with Audioforge Equalizer (iPhone 5 app) and now have a ******* fantastic sound.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]The clarity and quality of sound produced by these headphones is unbelievable. The bass is deep, clear, and literally rattles my head. Hip hop/Rap and Electronic music sounds the best through these headphones, but I wouldn’t say these are exclusively for bass heads. The bass is there, and it is strong, but it is so clear and smooth that it never feels overbearing. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]I think I will write a bigger review of them after a week, but Val, let me say, ignore my previous post. These things are fan-*******-tastic.[/size]

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #10,760 of 23,366
Quote:
Would either one of these Images work for my custom shields?

Invert them. I'm pretty sure VModa would do it for you, but the black is what will be engraved and will show up white on the shield.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #10,761 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys,

long time lurker, first time poster here. Have to say...LOVE the headphones. I got silver/white and I'm loving the sound, look, and overall feel of the headphones.

I've decided to get a portable amp that I'd like to pair with my iPhone 4s but have a question. I'm looking to order the fiio e11 but I'm a bit confused on the dock adapters. Something like the L3 or L9 enhances the sound more? Is there a difference to them? Also, is the e11 a good option to pair for my 4s or are there better options? (Below $100)

Thanks for the help!!

The L3 and L9 both act as a "line out" cable, which means the headphone amplifier inside of your iPhone is bypassed and your audio signal is amplified through the E11 (or whatever external amp you're using). If you just connect the E11 with a 3.5mm cable to your iPhone's headphone port, you're amplifying the audio signal twice (which may or may not sound good). Using the line out connection results in a more clear signal since you aren't amplifying it twice.

E11 should be fine for the M-100 if you're just looking for a headphone amplifier. If you're interested in an external amplifier/USB soundcard, the FiiO E7 pairs nicely with the M-100 as well. Both should be used with the L3 or L9 if you want the cleanest signal out of your iPhone.

Quote:
Quote:
How does the M100 fare against M50 ?

Depends what you listen to. The mids are quite recessed, which means that many genres will not sound great on them. I listen to everything so that sucks a bit for me, but I mostly listen to rap and electronic genres and they are AMAZING for those genres. The soundstage is WoW, amplified with my Rocoo P, sounds incredible. 

I also owned M50s for over two years, just sold them actually. They are more balanced and will sound great with almost everything, if not everything. SO it depends. If you listen to what I listen, ten I definitely recommend spending that extra money for the m100s, but if you listen to other types of music, then get the m50s. 

I absolutely love how my m100s sound witht he paper towel mod. I also have the LP pads and they drastically change the sound. The mids are brought out more than any paper towel mod and the bass is brought down a lot!! I was actually able to enjoy some classic rock. Not the best, but much better mids than the stock pads.

I also believe that the paper towel mod (top & bottom) sounds better than anything on the m100s.... better than stock earpads (unmodded) or even the Lp pads. The bass is just so perfect.

This is why I recommend DigitalFreak's mod for the majority of people here since the LP/LP2 pads do change the M-100's sound a lot.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #10,762 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys,

long time lurker, first time poster here. Have to say...LOVE the headphones. I got silver/white and I'm loving the sound, look, and overall feel of the headphones.

I've decided to get a portable amp that I'd like to pair with my iPhone 4s but have a question. I'm looking to order the fiio e11 but I'm a bit confused on the dock adapters. Something like the L3 or L9 enhances the sound more? Is there a difference to them? Also, is the e11 a good option to pair for my 4s or are there better options? (Below $100)

Thanks for the help!!

A dock adapter doesn't enhance anything you got the wrong idea behind using a LOD (line out dock). A LOD can be used on any player as long as it has a line out. Most people who use LOD's are people who own iPods and to a lesser extent certain Sony model players. The idea behind using a LOD is to bypass the internal amp of your MP3 player and feed your external amp with the MP3 players unamped DAC (digital to analog converter) signal. You can choose to not use a LOD and just feed your external amp through your headphone out jack but then your double amping. When you double amp you're taking the fully processed signal from the MP3 player with it's inferior internal amp and further amping it with your external amp. Some people will say double amping isn't a big deal while others say double amping is the devil. Personally, I prefer to use a LOD but that's just me. I've run across enough people on here who have rigs consisting of a external amp being fed by a Clip+ from it's headphone out jack and they seem pretty happy with the end result. The improvement in sound comes from the amp you use not the LOD you're using.

P.S.
Just so that you know you can also bypass the DAC as well as the amp of an iPod and feed the untouched digital signal into an external DAC and amp. When you do that that's called using your MP3 player as a transport. In the iPod world external DAC choices are limited due to Apple being so closed in their platform. Even so people are using the CLAS (Cypher Labs Algorithm Solo) as their external DAC and pairing it to whatever amp they choose. They're also using a new external DAC/amp combo from VentureCraft (Go-DAP) or if they want to keep their options open they'll just use the VentureCraft external DAC (DD Socket-1) and mate it with whatever amp they wish. Some others out there would be the Fostex HP P1 which is a DAC/amp combo and the soon to be released Centrance M8 DAc/amp combo which will have full iPod support as well as some other pretty crazy features for the hardcore of the hardcore. Lets just say people who own the LCD 2/3 or the HifiMan HE500 and run their cans with balanced connectors are pretty happy campers right now. In the Android world currently there's been a move towards full functionality as far as support for external DAC/amp support is concerned. Last time I checked the latest release of Android now has full USB digital out support and the handset makers were utilizing it in their new handsets (Galaxy SIII). What that means is people can now use whatever DAC/amp combo they choose with their Android handsets such as the Leckerton amps, TTVJ Glacier etc. I can't really comment to much about the Android world my MP3 player of choice is the iPod due to it's no brainer UI. There are better people on here to get info from as far as Android DAc/amp support is concerned.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #10,763 of 23,366
This just in... I am absolutely SHOCKED and in audio nirvana with my new "trifecta" of sound gadgets...

FORGET what you've listened to an M-100 or M-80 on before... the absolute best sound I have EVER heard in my life by far is...

1) V-MODA VAMP VERZA (PRODUCTION MODEL I JUST GOT THAT COMES OUT IN A FEW WEEKS)
2) Samsung Galaxy SIII
3) V-MODA Crossfade M-100
4) Poweramp Full Version

I cannot figure out yet why the Samsung S3 vs Apple iPhone 5/4S sounds different with digital output.  The iPhone V VAMP VERZA looks so cool and sounds amazing, but the above ^ combo is unf***ing believable. I need to now test if it is the iPhone music player vs PowerAmp or is it the digital audio out.

I can't wait for M-100 owners to try out the trifecta at some local meets globally. We developed VAMP VERZA with M-100, many of you may have remembered that we had to redo M-100 because we tuned it TOO much for amped vs unamped as we were developing them to launch together.

How many head-fiers have Samsungs I wonder? I'll have more updates soon after I thoroughly test all the phone models.  I also got Surfaces, Nokia 920s, etc etc... but the S3 (w/Poweramp software) stands out from initial testing.

-V

PS - I am using AIFF so I cannot use the stock Android music player to see if it is Poweramp's algorithms vs the stock player or the digital output...

HERE IS A SNEAK PEEK OF VAMP VERZA + M-100 ADS

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #10,764 of 23,366
Quote:
This just in... I am absolutely SHOCKED and in audio nirvana with my new "trifecta" of sound gadgets...

FORGET what you've listened to an M-100 or M-80 on before... the absolute best sound I have EVER heard in my life by far is...

1) Vamp Verza (PRODUCTION MODEL I JUST GOT)
2) Samsung Galaxy SIII
3) M-100
4) Poweramp Full Version

I cannot figure out yet why the Samsung S3 vs Apple iPhone 5/4S sounds different with digital output.  The iPhone V VAMP VERZA looks so cool and sounds amazing, but the above ^ combo is unf***ing believable. I need to now test if it is the iPhone music player vs PowerAmp or is it the digital audio out.

I can't wait for M-100 owners to try out the trifecta at some local meets globally. We developed VAMP VERZA with M-100, many of you may have remembered that we had to redo M-100 because we tuned it TOO much for amped vs unamped as we were developing them to launch together.

-V

PS - I am using AIFF so I cannot use the stock Android music player to see if it is Poweramp's algorithms vs the stock player or the digital output...

Price tag/release date?

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #10,766 of 23,366
Quote:

1) V-MODA VAMP VERZA (PRODUCTION MODEL I JUST GOT THAT COMES OUT IN A FEW WEEKS)
2) Samsung Galaxy SIII
4) Poweramp Full Version

How many head-fiers have Samsungs I wonder? I'll have more updates soon after I thoroughly test all the phone models.  I also got Surfaces, Nokia 920s, etc etc... but the S3 (w/Poweramp software) stands out from initial testing.

-V

HERE IS A SNEAK PEEK OF VAMP VERZA + M-100 ADS

So I was right. That photo was in the Head-Fi 2012 Holiday Gift Guide. It looks really cool from the back-side.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #10,767 of 23,366
Quote:

2) Samsung Galaxy SIII
4) Poweramp Full Version

How many head-fiers have Samsungs I wonder? I'll have more updates soon after I thoroughly test all the phone models.  I also got Surfaces, Nokia 920s, etc etc... but the S3 stands out from initial testing.

-V

Yep2x... Poweramp full version with

DVC enabled,
EQ preamp (-2),
EQ at "V" settings (+3,+2,+1,0,-1,-1,0,+1,+2,+3),
bass & treble knobs at 9 o'clock,
and Stereo X at 12 o'clock

hits the spot with my M-80's & Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus while playing electronic music. 

I wish I could try out that killer combo though!!! definitely FTW!!!

Glad Mr. V's trying out alternative routes other than IOS.... 

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #10,768 of 23,366
Quote:
Price tag/release date?

I am working on this around the clock...  Since VAMP is made in Japan to have the finest precision components in the world, I have learned a lot about how the Yen/USD/Euro/HKD conversion has changed the electronics world and hurt the big Japanese brands.  It is a bit sad as a few innovative and superior companies that I used to love as a teenager are victims of their currency strength, which makes it very costly to export if they are actually still Made in Japan (many aren't). 

-V

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #10,769 of 23,366
Val, just a quick suggestion. A lot of manufacturers on here such as Heir Audio or Tralucent Audio for example will sometimes do what's called a product impressions tour. What that involves is usually a handful of trusted and seasoned head-fiers are hand picked by the community or sometimes the manufacturer will create a thread asking for volunteers. From there an impressions thread is created and a list is compiled on the thread of the reviewers. From there sample units are sent out to head-fiers who take notes for 2 or 3 weeks and from there they pack up the review unit and send it off to the next reviewer on the list. Usually the reviewer tour will last a few months and once a reviewer has finished with his final review it gets posted on the thread. The end result you have a nice orderly clean database concerning the product being reviewed making it easy for people to research.

The next time you run across Jude why don't you mention organizing a impressions tour concerning your new amps? Not only would you get solid feedback from the community but it would also create a solid database for people researching your products.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #10,770 of 23,366
Quote:
Yep2x... Poweramp full version with

DVC enabled,
EQ preamp (-2),
EQ at "V" settings (+3,+2,+1,0,-1,-1,0,+1,+2,+3),
bass & treble knobs at 9 o'clock,
and Stereo X at 12 o'clock

hits the spot with my M-80's & Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus while playing electronic music. 

I wish I could try out that killer combo though!!! definitely FTW!!!

Glad Mr. V's trying out alternative routes other than IOS.... 

I'll try that w/my rig too.

I'll take a pic of what we are using for sources, I have about 5-6 phones/sources with me at all times to test VAMP VERZA + M-100.  I need to know how the mic, sound and amp/dacs work on every device to get the "greatest sound for the greatest amount of people" after all.

-mrV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back