V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Dec 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #10,576 of 23,366
Quote:
miceblue enjoying it with ZO, that's interesting. :wink: I wonder how it would pair with ZO2.1 as ZO2.1 tends to have more lower-mid presence than ZO2.3 which would be perfect for M100.

No yeah I was genuinely surprised at how good it sounded because I was expecting the bass to be overpowering and thus ruin the rest of the sound spectrum. I think the ZO2 pairs well with the pad mods as Leon Dota mentioned because the pad mods decrease the bass quantity and brings out the mids and upper-treble a bit, and then the ZO2 somehow increased the bass without it ruining the lower-mids and the rest of the sound. Is it just a sub-bass/lower-bass boost? It sounds NOTHING like the bass boost from an EQ nor the FiiO E7's bass boost feature.

Again, this was on the green/green-yellow colour "setting". Yellow and orange-yellow did start to ruin the rest of the sound spectrum for me.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #10,577 of 23,366
Quote:
No yeah I was genuinely surprised at how good it sounded because I was expecting the bass to be overpowering and thus ruin the rest of the sound spectrum. I think the ZO2 pairs well with the pad mods as Leon Dota mentioned because the pad mods decrease the bass quantity and brings out the mids and upper-treble a bit, and then the ZO2 somehow increased the bass without it ruining the lower-mids and the rest of the sound. Is it just a sub-bass/lower-bass boost?

Again, this was on the green/green-yellow colour "setting". Yellow and orange-yellow did start to ruin the rest of the sound spectrum for me.

I thought you said the bass was already covering up band members and such though, pushing them back. Surely adding more bass would add to this?!

As for the Fiio E7, I was tempted to get this. How are you amping? Are you double amping, or using some form of digital out?
If it sounds better digitally, I may have to opt to getting that mini USB cable and doing it this way

I'm waiting on what the V-Moda Verza will do, but considering how much the Vamp costs, I don't think I'd throw that much out, even if it is an Android amp.

Could you by any chance give my music selection a listen Miceblue on the previous page? Bjorn Lynne's stuff? If you have Spotify, all the better! Thanks :) Its what I'm mainly worrying about, as I listen to this stuff more than trance a lot of the time for in bed and such

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #10,578 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:
No yeah I was genuinely surprised at how good it sounded because I was expecting the bass to be overpowering and thus ruin the rest of the sound spectrum. I think the ZO2 pairs well with the pad mods as Leon Dota mentioned because the pad mods decrease the bass quantity and brings out the mids and upper-treble a bit, and then the ZO2 somehow increased the bass without it ruining the lower-mids and the rest of the sound. Is it just a sub-bass/lower-bass boost?

I thought you said the bass was already covering up band members and such though, pushing them back. Surely adding more bass would add to this?!

As for the Fiio E7, I was tempted to get this. How are you amping? Are you double amping, or using some form of digital out?
If it sounds better digitally, I may have to opt to getting that mini USB cable and doing it this way

I'm waiting on what the V-Moda Verza will do, but considering how much the Vamp costs, I don't think I'd throw that much out, even if it is an Android amp.

That's the thing, the ZO2 doesn't do that on the green/green-yellow setting and I am really confused as to how it works now. >:D

With the E7 I double amp it with my Clip Zip via headphone-out, and I use it as a USB DAC with my older MacBook. If the Clip Zip supported line-out, I would definitely use it; I was actually tempted to get an L3 LOD cable from FiiO for my iTouch or iPod Video, but I don't use those often enough.

Sorry if this is an odd question to ask, but what's the difference between line-out and digital-out? I know line-out bypasses the device's amplifier section.

Bjørn Lynne – Jooli's Song
Sounds pretty good to me with the M-100. The guitar (electric and acoustic), the string instrument at 5:50, and snare drum sounds kind of distant though. "Cymbals" have nice detail and shimmer, decent sound imaging, good instrument separation, nice chest-thumping bass pedal. It reminds me of song that would be played in a movie. :p

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #10,580 of 23,366
Quote:
That's the thing, the ZO2 doesn't do that on the green/green-yellow setting and I am really confused as to how it works now. >:D

With the E7 I double amp it with my Clip Zip via headphone-out, and I use it as a USB DAC with my older MacBook. If the Clip Zip supported line-out, I would definitely use it; I was actually tempted to get an L3 LOD cable from FiiO for my iTouch or iPod Video, but I don't use those often enough.

Sorry if this is an odd question to ask, but what's the difference between line-out and digital-out? I know line-out bypasses the device's amplifier section.

Sounds pretty good to me with the M-100. The guitar (electric and acoustic), the string instrument at 5:50, and snare drum sounds kind of distant though. "Cymbals" have nice detail and shimmer, decent sound imaging, good instrument separation, nice chest-thumping bass pedal. It reminds me of song that would be played in a movie. :p

How odd about the ZO2!!! Does it improve the mid stage then, if it doesn't muddy the lows?
I guess double amping isn't so bad if it improves matters a bit :)

Thanks :D What about with the E-7 or ZO2? Any better? Or is that how you are listening?
String instrument? Haha, I can't even hear one, unless you mean that funny guitar sound! That good huh? :p

He wrote the music for Worms 2 if that is any indication

Line out and Digital out are pretty much the same. It still passes I believe a digital signal which is bypassing the devices amplifer.

Just switched my Creative X-Fi sound card back to Digital, as I've had it on Analog for a while, and the difference is certainly there.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #10,581 of 23,366
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks :D What about with the E-7 or ZO2? Any better? Or is that how you are listening?
String instrument? Haha, I can't even hear one, unless you mean that funny guitar sound! That good huh? :p

Line out and Digital out are pretty much the same. It still passes I believe a digital signal which is bypassing the devices amplifer.

Just switched my Creative X-Fi sound card back to Digital, as I've had it on Analog for a while, and the difference is certainly there.

Oh I was listening with the Objective2. I tried the ZO2 at a local Head-Fi meet today, so my ability to test specific tracks with the ZO2 right now is non-existent since I'm back at home. XD

The instrument at 5:50 isn't a guitar, it might be a Guzheng (Chinese zither).

I should note that I'm listen to the O2/ODAC and E7 as a USB option. I can try it as a straight-up amp if you want. I don't have Spotify Premium so I can't listen to Spotify on an iPod or other mobile device.

With the E7 (bass boost zero), the soundstage isn't as wide, instruments seem closer together and have less air between them but the separation is still pretty good, less shimmer in the "cymbals", upper-treble extension isn't as good, the bass seems less clearly-defined compared to the O2.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #10,583 of 23,366
Quote:
Oh I was listening with the Objective2. I tried the ZO2 at a local Head-Fi meet today, so my ability to test specific tracks with the ZO2 right now is non-existent since I'm back at home. XD

The instrument at 5:50 isn't a guitar, it might be a Guzheng (Chinese zither).

I should note that I'm listen to the O2/ODAC and E7 as a USB option. I can try it as a straight-up amp if you want. I don't have Spotify Premium so I can't listen to Spotify on an iPod or other mobile device.

With the E7 (bass boost zero), the soundstage isn't as wide, instruments seem closer together and have less air between them but the separation is still pretty good, less shimmer in the "cymbals", upper-treble extension isn't as good, the bass seems less clearly-defined compared to the O2.

Thanks again! :) If you could, that would be great.
I'll probably most likely be listening straight from the S3 or my X-Fi unless I get an E7 or similar, so I know the sound won't be as great as it can be.

Ah yeah, that sound :p Yeah, I love that part of the track!

I'm guessing the O2 isn't a portable option haha

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #10,584 of 23,366
Quote:

Quote:

Line out bypasses the amp, Digital out bypasses the DAC and amp...big difference in the two.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #10,585 of 23,366
miceblue, this graph should give you an idea how the ZO works 

It looks like 1-16 are more drastic of changes than 16-32. Interesting.

I'm now even more excited about this pairing. Looking forward to your impressions.

Also looking forward to your MadDog vs M-100 comparison.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #10,588 of 23,366
AKG Q/K 701/702 vs M-100
M-100 has much more bass (extension and presence), laid-back midrange, less treble extension, much more closed soundstage that sounds deeper than wide; better for music genres with electronically-produced sounds
Q/K 701/702 has more peaky treble that sounds artificial at times, 3D soundstage that seems HUGE (though this should be a no-brainer considering it's an open-back); better for music genres with real instruments
2 different headphones for 2 different purposes; I can't wait for my K 701 to come through the mail!
*BTW I did in fact find the Q 701 to be slightly warmer than the K 702 and the treble wasn't quite as sharp; some people say the Quincy Jones button is the reason for the sound difference, others say it's a small foam piece within the earcups, the world may never know XD*

Fostex T50RP - MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (DogPad earpads) and Mayflower (Shure earpads) vs M-100
M-100 has more bass (extension and presence) than Mad Dogs, less treble extension, mids were about the same in terms of presentation, M-100's midrange sounded better tonally
Mad Dogs seemed more balanced, midrange tonality seemed kind of off to my ears especially the upper-midrange (female vocals, violins, etc.), treble sounded a bit canny or artificial, wider soundstage compared to both the M-100 and the Mayflower; I should also say that the Mad Dogs had a TON of noise isolation. I put them on and the background noise was pretty much gone...amazing
Mayflower's midrange sounded better tonally than Mad Dogs to my ears, but the highs were pretty harsh
I actually prefer the M-100's over the Mad Dogs because the Mad Dogs had that odd tonality to it, but it wasn't bad-sounding by any means. The Mayflower was too harsh for me, but it sounded pretty good with rock music.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs M-100
M-100 had about the same amount of bass as the level 4 (full bass) Custom One Pro, much better-sounding tonally, better treble extension and shimmer, better instrument separation
Custom One Pro on level 1 (leanest bass) had a wider soundstage but not as good instrument separation, more forward midrange, HUGE form factor compared to the M-100
Overall, I like the M-100 much more than the Custom One Pro because of its instrument separation, detail, and more natural-sounding midrange

Ultrasone PRO900 vs M-100
There is no comparison, the M-100 destroys the PRO900 in every way possible except for bass punch (I even found the M-100's more comfortable surprisingly enough); I literally could NOT listen to the PRO900 for more than 1 minute because it was so harsh and sibilant (I couldn't even enjoy Lindsey Stirling :'( ). The PRO900's earpads were really large for my head...similar to the HD800 (my face is being swallowed by the velour earpads!).

Sony XB500 vs M-100
M-100 hands down has way more detail, better treble extension and shimmer, better tonality in the midrange, and cleaner, tight bass
The XB500 has a comfort level leagues better than the M-100 on the other hand due to its pillow-like earpads and very light mass
Overall, I like the M-100 for its sound, XB500 for its comfort

Mainly for the HD650 vs M-100 (even though it's not the same rig)
M-100 has much more bass (extension and presence), smaller soundstage (again, it's being compared to an open-back headphone), less instrument separation, less treble extension, laid-back midrange, more sparkly treble that sounds artificial in comparison
Four words for the HD650: silky smooth, warm, relaxing
The HD650 sounds really good. There is nothing about it that jumps out at you though, so it's a very relaxing headphone to listen to. Even though the M-100 has less of everything but sparkle compared to the HD650, I prefer the M-100, as I've said before, because I find the HD650 to be too warm for my tastes. That plus it sounds kind of boring to me. I do like the more forward midrange on the other hand.

Denon AH-D2000 vs M-100
I didn't get a lot of time with the D2000 since I had to leave shortly after, but from what I briefely noted, the M-100 has much more bass presence, less treble extension and sounded a bit artificial, laid-back midrange, and a much smaller soundstage. Despite this, the D2000 sounded a bit dry and boring to my ears; I wasn't too impressed with it apart from the large soundstage and more forward midrange.

AKG K550 vs M-100
M-100 has much more bass presence, laid-back midrange, less treble extension, better comfort
The K550 sounds somewhat similar to the SRH940 in that it's an analytical headphone (sharp, fast, reveals lots of details) and has a forward midrange that sounds more tonally accurate to me, but it has a much better bass response in terms of extension and quality and has less harsh treble
Overall, again, 2 different headphones for 2 different purposes. If you like one, your probably won't like the other (similar to the SRH940 as well). I can't really recommend the K550 though as you should really try it before buying it. I just COULD NOT get a good seal on it...I literally had to push the earcups into my head since the bottom of the earpad would not get a good seal what-so-ever (there was always a gap between my head and the earpad). I don't think AKG designed the K550 to conform to a human head, seriously (I wasn't the only one with fitting problems at the meet). Fit aside, I actually really like the K550's sound.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #10,590 of 23,366
Shame you didn't hear the DogPad version of MadDogs. From what I've heard, you'd probably have liked the leather DogPads much better than Shurepads. It's a little warmer, and the bass extension is supposedly impressive. 

I also got to shortly demo many of the phones you did recently. albeit in not so ideal conditions (BBR in Toronto), and being so quick but, I entirely agree with what you say about the K/Q 701/2, the K550, in that I was impressed with everything above 300hz, but I didn't get any seal whatsoever, thanks glasses And the HD650 is just simply divine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back