V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #9,091 of 23,366
Tiesto is trance, not house.  House music, though, is pretty much defined by the steady "4 to the floor" beat, the 128bpm kickdrum that always has the same rhythm and tempo.  Something like, say, dubstep, tends to have a more hip-hop style breakbeat.  EDM genres are ridiculously complicated. :p

And that's one of the reason most people don't like Guetta, his music is like an unholy mix of real EDM and crappy electropop.

Ah OK, thanks for the clarification.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #9,092 of 23,366
Most of Tiesto's music in his older albums were Trance, which typically tends to be at 140bpm though this can differ.
His new stuff, collaborating with other popular artists, like Guetta does spoiled his appeal for me. Didn't find the songs at all catchy.
Majikal Journey was on the other hand, a fantastic album, and I do have the DVD of his tour with songs from it.

You know when ordering the M-100's and your given choice of extra colours, etc and a place where you can load your own image, choose a personal name to go on, or even use a sample image? I found myself getting lost, and not knowing what to put...
Couldn't think of anything, so I simply chose Gun Metal without any imagery on it.

Personally though, I will just be keeping the Shadows brushed alluminium ones on, as I actually think these look a lot better with the red design on the head band, so the extra will go to waste with me.

Nice inclusion though. I actually wish you could pick up as the extra, another brushed alluminium one, as with the Shadow, but possibly a different colour.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #9,093 of 23,366
Quote:
Most of Tiesto's music in his older albums were Trance, which typically tends to be at 140bpm though this can differ.
His new stuff, collaborating with other popular artists, like Guetta does spoiled his appeal for me. Didn't find the songs at all catchy.
Majikal Journey was on the other hand, a fantastic album, and I do have the DVD of his tour with songs from it.

You know when ordering the M-100's and your given choice of extra colours, etc and a place where you can load your own image, choose a personal name to go on, or even use a sample image? I found myself getting lost, and not knowing what to put...
Couldn't think of anything, so I simply chose Gun Metal without any imagery on it.

Personally though, I will just be keeping the Shadows brushed alluminium ones on, as I actually think these look a lot better with the red design on the head band, so the extra will go to waste with me.

Nice inclusion though. I actually wish you could pick up as the extra, another brushed alluminium one, as with the Shadow, but possibly a different colour.

Yeah the ordering process is kind of confusing. Maybe the brushed metal shields are out of stock so it's not listed on the webpage.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #9,094 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah the ordering process is kind of confusing. Maybe the brushed metal shields are out of stock so it's not listed on the webpage.

Are the LP2 shields the same as the M-100's?  I was also planning on getting them with brushed replacements but had to settle for gunmetal, it does say they have brushed LP2 shields in stock though

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #9,096 of 23,366
Ah okay, so not at a complete loss since the extras are pretty much free anyway.

I've been doing research on amps (I know the headphones don't need an amp, but they do apparently help bring out the best of them) and have come to the conclusion that I can use a Micro USB A OTG cable on the Samsung Galaxy S 3, connect it to a Fiio E7 (what I plan to get), and get a digital out, and so, a better sound from the phone.
(with the default Samsung Jellybean rom?)

Seeing as the Fiio E7 also uses a Wolfson DAC as does the S3, the sound quality should be on par or better than the standard 3.5mm out accessing the in built DAC?

Anyone using this combination?

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #9,097 of 23,366
Quote:
Ah okay, so not at a complete loss since the extras are pretty much free anyway.

I've been doing research on amps (I know the headphones don't need an amp, but they do apparently help bring out the best of them) and have come to the conclusion that I can use a Micro USB A OTG cable on the Samsung Galaxy S 3, connect it to a Fiio E7 (what I plan to get), and get a digital out, and so, a better sound from the phone.
(with the default Samsung Jellybean rom?)

Seeing as the Fiio E7 also uses a Wolfson DAC as does the S3, the sound quality should be on par or better than the standard 3.5mm out accessing the in built DAC?

Anyone using this combination?

IIRC only the international version of the SGSIII has a Wolfson DAC.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #9,098 of 23,366
Anyone know any good amps to pair well with the M100 and sansa clip zip? I was thinking along the lines of the Electric Avenues PA2V2, JDLabs CMOY, Digizoid ZO2 and this amp I found on Etsy.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #9,099 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone know any good amps to pair well with the M100 and sansa clip zip? I was thinking along the lines of the Electric Avenues PA2V2, JDLabs CMOY, Digizoid ZO2 and this amp I found on Etsy.

Honestly the M-100 with the Clip Zip sounds just fine. Paired with a FiiO E7 and the soundstage gets a little wider and deeper, the bass tightens up and is more punchy, and the highs are toned down (in a good way). Overall things sound more lively with the E7. I wouldn't recommend the bass boost feature as it seems to muddy up the bass and make it sound unnatural to me.

I should mention that you will be amplifying your signal twice with an external amp since the Clip Zip doesn't support line out audio. By its nature, the Clip Zip is a fairly analytical-sounding PMP and has a narrow soundstage with not much instrument separation. With the E7, those "issues" are addressed somewhat since the E7 is known to have a pretty wide soundstage, better instrument separation, and punchy bass. If you bought a more bassy amp such as the JDSLabs CMoy or ZO2, I'm not sure I would like the results as much.

I just tested it right now with Nightwish's "Nemo" song.

Yeah, so just to re-iterate, the M-100 doesn't need amping. I've been A/B/C-ing the M-100 with the E7, with the O2, and without an amp for an hour now. I couldn't really tell the difference between the unamped Clip Zip and the O2 amped Clip Zip except for soundstage, and there shouldn't be a major difference given the O2 was designed to be a transparent amp. The difference was larger with the E7 and even with that the differences were pretty minute.
If you're using the M-100 umamped, you're not missing much. Of course adding a coloured amp will change its sound more, but that applies to any headphone.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #9,100 of 23,366
I live in the UK so I'm lucky enough to get the S3 with the Wolfson DAC. I've done my research you know.
So with the OTG USB cable paired with the Fiio E7 I can expect better sound?
Or would they sound similiar being both Wolfsons?
Anyone have any experience?

Or to save pocket space, would it make any difference amping twice and using the 3.5mm?
I'm guessing I will get a clearer signal but would it bw better than using the digital out?

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #9,102 of 23,366
Quote:
Anyone compare the m100 with the HD25-1 II's yet?

Yeah they have, somewhere.
The M-100s are meant to match and even better them in some areas. I can't remember exact details.
They do sound apparently quite similar with I believe the HD25 1 iis sounding brighter but sometimes overly bright with the M100s having a much better overal clarity in all frequencies. I'd prefer the M100s on my head looks wise so its a no brainer

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #9,103 of 23,366
Quote:
Random question, what exactly is "house music"?
I just got back from the library after checking out some of David Guetta's albums (Nothing but the Beat and One Love), as well as one album by Tiësto (Magikal Journey). Wikipedia says they both produce "house music" but they sound completely different.
Guetta's albums sound like modern pop songs that are remixed and I find them to sound like Schiit compared to Tiësto's album. I can't believe those two albums were nominated for a Grammy Award. D:
I can't stand modern, "Top 40" American pop songs that are played 24/7 on radio stations.....
Even with Tiësto's newer albums (listened via YouTube), I would prefer to listen to his music any time, any day over that of Guetta's.
Nonetheless, I suppose both sound great through the M-100's. That thumping bass is catchy.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #9,105 of 23,366
Quote:
I live in the UK so I'm lucky enough to get the S3 with the Wolfson DAC. I've done my research you know.
So with the OTG USB cable paired with the Fiio E7 I can expect better sound?
Or would they sound similiar being both Wolfsons?
Anyone have any experience?

Or to save pocket space, would it make any difference amping twice and using the 3.5mm?
I'm guessing I will get a clearer signal but would it bw better than using the digital out?

I honestly wouldn't even bother with amping if the M-100 is all you're gonna be using.  It really is quite sensitive and when you're on the go you most likely won't be able to tell the difference with all of the other stuff going on around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back