V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 2, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #9,061 of 23,366
Quote:

And I tend to disagree - that's what is beautiful about opinions/impressions.

And I agree with your disagreement. :p

Some guy excitedly ran up to me today to ask if he could try my headphones (M-100's). He thought they were the LP2 until I told him they were the new ones and he was ecstatic about the folding mechanism and how comfortable they are.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #9,062 of 23,366
Alright so I have a problem (this is more of an amp thing, but once I get this solved, I can review the M-100's with an LOD set-up).

So I got my L9 today and plugged it into my iPod with my ZO2.3 on low gain, hit play and...silence. The song was playing but I didn't hear a single thing.

I went up through the volume on my ZO2 until I hit purple. I hear my music now, but it is literally softer than a whisper. I put it in high-gain mode for kicks and the volume increased to barely-whisper level.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the L9 only meant to work with Smartphones, not regular MP3 players like my iPod? This is rather frustrating if I just wasted $10 on a cable that simply won't work the way it's supposed to.

EDIT: Wow, looks like I'm boned. Out of curiosity, I put the L9 into my iPhone and bam, it works perfectly. This is VERY disappointing to me; the fact that I can't use the L9 with my iPod, and that it only works with Smartphones. Christ. Well guys, what the hell do I do now?

DOUBLE EDIT: GUH What?! I just, again out of curiosity, plugged the L9 back into my iPod and KABOOM it's working perfectly. I dunno. Maybe I didn't have it plugged in correctly before. Impressions will be posted shortly.

Initial Impressions (with DigiZoid ZO2.3):

Better separation and detail. Bass is slightly more controlled. Mids come forward very noticeably. Snares have more snap. The only thing that seems unaffected for the most part is the highs, which stay sparkly and fresh.

Overall, this is the best I've heard my M-100 perform yet. This is gonna be hard as hell to beat.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #9,063 of 23,366
Quote:
DOUBLE EDIT: GUH What?! I just, again out of curiosity, plugged the L9 back into my iPod and KABOOM it's working perfectly. I dunno. Maybe I didn't have it plugged in correctly before. Impressions will be posted shortly.

Yep they need to be plugged in pretty snugly.  :)  Glad you got it figured out before anyone could flame you that they work just as well with iPods as iPhones.  :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #9,064 of 23,366
Quote:
And I agree with your disagreement. :p

Some guy excitedly ran up to me today to ask if he could try my headphones (M-100's). He thought they were the LP2 until I told him they were the new ones and he was ecstatic about the folding mechanism and how comfortable they are.

I too have been putting the M-100 through its portable paces lately and have found that they incite an inquisitive audience.  More appealing, however, is that the excellent build quality affords the peace of mind necessary to slovenly hand them off to a co-worker for a quick audition.  Comments have ranged from "wow!" to "dope as ****."

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9,065 of 23,366
I hope no one takes this as a threadcrap, but am I the only one not wow'ed by these headphones? I'm still running them in, but I cant help but feel the bass is just a bit too much. Personally, I thought the M-80's were brilliant; but I'm really having a hard time coming around to the M-100's seemingly sucked-out midrange. Do you all find these genuinely transform with burn-in?

Sorry for all the negativity
triportsad.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #9,066 of 23,366
Quote:
I hope no one takes this as a threadcrap, but am I the only one not wow'ed by these headphones? I'm still running them in, but I cant help but feel the bass is just a bit too much. Personally, I thought the M-80's were brilliant; but I'm really having a hard time coming around to the M-100's seemingly sucked-out midrange. Do you all find these genuinely transform with burn-in?

triportsad.gif

No need to be sorry you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. Hope in the long run they grow on you if not you can return them and no harm no foul.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #9,067 of 23,366
Quote:

triportsad.gif

Not at all.
Total time of pink noise burn-in (excluding "resting time"): 144.71 hours
  1. The sound has barely changed (if at all) since pre burn-in

Here's an excerpt from my original impressions of the M-100.
Phase 1 - Pre Burn-In, Pre Break-In Period
Lows
  1. Bass punch is decent, not the best, but it's there
  2. To me the bass seems a bit too much, at least in a quiet home it seems that way
Mids
  1. Mids seem a bit withdrawn, as AnakChan mentioned, but still very acceptable for me.
Highs
  1. Less shimmer in the treble compared to the SRH940, but that might be a good thing for mobile listening
  2. Treble seems to be not as extended as I would have liked and seems a bit plastiky to me (testing using Cloudkicker's "Amy I Love You" song)
  3. ^ yeah cymbal crashes seem a bit quiet (I don't know if recessed is the right word) relative to the lower frequencies (tested using Fourplay's "Bali Run" and 12 Girls Band's "莫高窟 (Mo Gao Ku)" songs)

Soundstage
  1. Soundstage is decent, not as large as what I was expecting. It seems deeper than wide. SRH940 had a wide soundstage relatively speaking.
Other
  1. I don't think the M-100's would be good for rock music if you like to "be the drummer" (pretend you're playing the drumset)
  2. ^ I like to move my hands when playing a rock track as if I were playing the drum set, just a weird quirk I do. The bass pedal of the drum set has some good thump and authority in tracks that I've listened to. To me, the cymbals sound laid back/withdrawn (is that the right word?); they're present and they have some sparkle, but I feel that they're somewhat veiled by the bass pedal, when I think the cymbals are inherently louder-sounding than the bass pedal. This happens on the multiple rock tracks that I've listened to. As a result of this, I find that it's harder for me to "be the drummer" since it's harder for me to hear the cymbals over the mids and lows.

So yeah, at first I wasn't too "wowed" either.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #9,068 of 23,366
Quote:
Alright so I have a problem (this is more of an amp thing, but once I get this solved, I can review the M-100's with an LOD set-up).

So I got my L9 today and plugged it into my iPod with my ZO2.3 on low gain, hit play and...silence. The song was playing but I didn't hear a single thing.

I went up through the volume on my ZO2 until I hit purple. I hear my music now, but it is literally softer than a whisper. I put it in high-gain mode for kicks and the volume increased to barely-whisper level.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the L9 only meant to work with Smartphones, not regular MP3 players like my iPod? This is rather frustrating if I just wasted $10 on a cable that simply won't work the way it's supposed to.

EDIT: Wow, looks like I'm boned. Out of curiosity, I put the L9 into my iPhone and bam, it works perfectly. This is VERY disappointing to me; the fact that I can't use the L9 with my iPod, and that it only works with Smartphones. Christ. Well guys, what the hell do I do now?

Initial Impressions (with DigiZoid ZO2.3):

Better separation and detail. Bass is slightly more controlled. Mids come forward very noticeably. Snares have more snap. The only thing that seems unaffected for the most part is the highs, which stay sparkly and fresh.

Overall, this is the best I've heard my M-100 perform yet. This is gonna be hard as hell to beat.

Welcome to the first day of walking around with a brick in your pocket for the rest of your life. When I got my first amp, a Cmoy high bred, I plugged everything in turned on my iPod Touch plugged in my IEM's and turned on the amps power and hit play on the iPod and got nothing. I double checked the connector and turned the volume knob all the way and still nothing. I cracked the lid open on the Cmoy and saw one of the batteries was loose so I pressed down on the battery connector and WHAMMMM I nearly gave myself a heart attack and half deafened myself. That was the day I learned to never ever troubleshoot an amp without first checking to see if the amp volume knob is turned down. Hope you keep enjoying the new rig and congratulations on the new setup. By the way I'm curious, so far do you find the L9 was worth investing in?

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #9,069 of 23,366
Thanks DF & miceblue. Reading the anticipation and level of praise these cans have received, I realize some people may get a bit defensive when someone else establishes a different opinion..
Now, this is going to sound a bit brave, but alternating between my friend's modded LP's and M-100's, I am finding that I am enjoying the characteristics of the LP's more(which seems to have greater midrange detail; although I am still trying to dial in the mid-bass so it doesnt glow quite as much).
Another interesting discovery I have stumbled across, the V-Ports have a much greater influence on the LP's sound, than the M-100's.. Almost to the point where it wouldnt surprise me if the LP's could be tweaked to resemble the M-100..
Then again, I'm still getting over a cold; time will tell, I guess 
smile.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #9,070 of 23,366
Quote:
Thanks DF & miceblue. Reading the anticipation and level of praise these cans have received, I realize some people may get a bit defensive when someone else establishes a different opinion..
Now, this is going to sound a bit brave, but alternating between my friend's modded LP's and M-100's, I am finding that I am enjoying the characteristics of the LP's more(which seems to have greater midrange detail; although I am still trying to dial in the mid-bass so it doesnt glow quite as much).
Another interesting discovery I have stumbled across, the V-Ports have a much greater influence on the LP's sound, than the M-100's.. Almost to the point where it wouldnt surprise me if the LP's could be tweaked to resemble the M-100..
Then again, I'm still getting over a cold; time will tell, I guess 
smile.gif

I'd wait until your cold symptoms subside before you come to any conclusions!

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #9,071 of 23,366
Quote:
Welcome to the first day of walking around with a brick in your pocket for the rest of your life. When I got my first amp, a Cmoy high bred, I plugged everything in turned on my iPod Touch plugged in my IEM's and turned on the amps power and hit play on the iPod and got nothing. I double checked the connector and turned the volume knob all the way and still nothing. I cracked the lid open on the Cmoy and saw one of the batteries was loose so I pressed down on the battery connector and WHAMMMM I nearly gave myself a heart attack and half deafened myself. That was the day I learned to never ever troubleshoot an amp without first checking to see if the amp volume knob is turned down. Hope you keep enjoying the new rig and congratulations on the new setup. By the way I'm curious, so far do you find the L9 was worth investing in?

I posted my initial impression of the M-100 with the L9 + ZO2.3 and I'm very pleased.

By the way, now you have my eyes set on a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII, aheh. It'll be a WHILE before I have the extra dosh to drop on that.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #9,073 of 23,366
I don't know , the more people that get it , the longer the talk going to be , I think this headphone will stay as a modern classic (if that even make sense) as that "over ear m80" instead of anything else , i seem to miss couple of reviews and impression, what do you guys think about the comfort level ?

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #9,074 of 23,366
Quote:

Not suprising at all, the M100 has a foam covering the holes underneath the shield whereas LPs don't have it. Remove this foam and you're probably gonna get gobs of bass (LP levels) :p I'm somewhat tempted to try it myself in case I'd get the M100 and then partially covering back the holes until the bass would be at the desired levels (I'm a bit of a basshead personally so would probably welcome slightly more so bass but not looking for LP bass levels though). And no the LPs and M100 doesn't have the same drivers so you will never be able to tweak LPs to sound like M100.

What I'd likely do to my M100:

- Padmod: applying a very thin extra layer of papertowel behind the pads to make cups slightly deeper both for comfort reasons as well as the sound characteristics changes that includes slightly tamed bass vs more up-front mids (for my personal tastes I'd probably prefer that more up-front mids however the loss in bass wouldn't probably be desirable)

- Remove the foam covering the vent holes. From my experience removing the foam covering ventholes on Panasonic HTF600 I can tell you this, the more vented it was kept the bassier and more low-mids especially versus getting more veiled highs as well as improved soundstage but also at the expense of getting more reverby sound. Now fully closed back-side vents (I've tested using blutak) and the bass was greatly lost and it was more brighter sounding and the soundstage was obviously much worse and the natural reverb was gone.

Now on M100 I'd expect it to sound not very nice with the foam removed and not partially covering it back, I'd expect it would go from the what seems to be 8~9dB measuring bass boost to be approaching LP/Sony XB bass levels (13~15dB bass boost) and the highs would go from slightly emphasized to slightly veiled. So ultimately I'd start covering it partially back with blutak at first and then later use tape when I've found the ideal settings using blutak, since the padmod probably slightly decrease bass levels, say from 8~9dB to maybe 7dB or so it becomes even more useful to try to restore it this way to aprox 9~10dB or so where I'd think it probably would be ideal for my taste.

I'd think these two mods would complement each other wonderfully at bringing mids more upfront, tame down highs just a very little bit so the mids and highs would be quite even and due to removing the foam I might be able to enjoy also slightly more bass than stock and possibly tiny bit improved soundstage as well.

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #9,075 of 23,366
Quote:

triportsad.gif

Not taken as negativity, just another perspective well presented.  I love the M-100 bass and overall sound, but can understand why it might be too much for some.  I also don't find the mids recessed, but again can see where you would.  As an alternative, you may prefer the Sony MDR-1R or PSB M4U1.

Burn-in made no noticeable change for me, so if you are not satisfied now, I don't know that will change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back