V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 31, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #8,971 of 23,366
Yep they sound terrific straight from my S3 (though I still use the Leckerton at home, just because I can).  I won't be writing up a big review as I'm not experienced enough to do so with any authority, but I am really loving the M100s.  Most of what's been said by previous reviewers rings true - slightly recessed in the mids sometimes, but for the rest extremely clear and detailed from top to bottom.  I'm listening mostly to rock and folk, and am getting a lot of my WOW moments from vocals and acoustic pieces.  The soundstage and separation is excellent.  Overall it's a considerable leap up from the M80, which I still like very much.  I do come across the odd album where some of the mids seem a fraction too recessed for my liking (some of the drums, as mentioned by someone else, for example), and very occasionally the bass is a bit much for me, but those are exceptions and very minor niggles - overall I'm finding the M100 to be absolutely fantastic and very versatile for all the genres of music I listen to.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #8,972 of 23,366
Quote:
Who said that? Smooth jazz sound great through the M-100's. The bass guitar has a nice presence (a bit too much for home listening for me), and the bass pedal gives a chest-pounding feeling even through my Sansa Clip Zip. Amping merely enhances this effect and makes the bass a tad bit cleaner-sounding.

This. I don't know why people are buying amps like there's no tomorrow. I already said, it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. It's not like a K 701, where your headphone will sound like junk out of an iPod.

Sorry, I'll try to help you but unfortunately I can't provide much information.
I don't know anything about the S3's sound quality, but Scrypt seems to know a lot about it. See my remark above regarding amps. It doesn't make that much of a difference in sound quality.

I think you would notice a large difference in sound quality between the PX100 and PortaPro's, particularly in the bass department and overall details heard in your songs.

The pre-orders on the website are the final version. Whether or not they're sold through Amazon UK is up in the air. Val kind of addressed it earlier in this thread but there was no definite answer. The M-100's will be shipping before the holidays though, so there's hope.

Hey, thanks for the reply :)
The SGS 3 like with the original SGS has a Wolfson codec which is meant to be on par with a lot of dedicated sound devices out there.
My SGS has Voodoo Sound installed however which I have been waiting to be released for the S3 for a while now. The volume doesn't go to ear splitting levels even with the Px100s on this. If all else fails, I will continue to use my older phone for music listening, however this, having a higher Android version has EQ on the Spotify app I use for my music listening.

I think the M100s will be well worth the wait and I knew comparing the PXs to the M100s would be a stupid question haha. Happy with the sound signature of the PX but always felt something missing in the mids in terms of detail. Can't really explain it. The M100 also has recessed mids apparently but is meant to have better clarity all round the spectrum so I will have to see.

Thanks also Kendoji, how does the amp connect to the S3? Through headphone jack? 
I listen both at home and out with my headphones and would love it to sound at its best whilst at home, if it needs amping or not.

I listen to a wide range of genres from rock to metal, to pop to dance to trance to classical. A lot to define.

Thanks again.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #8,973 of 23,366
Quote:
What do you mean by the m-audio? I was looking all over the internet and I couldn't find it? Unless you mean a non puzzle amp

Quote:
I think he meant the M-Audio Q40 headphone. A quick Google search of "M-Audio headphone" should suffice. Or if not, here's the official webpage.

Yup!
I meant the M-Audio Q40!

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in saying that the more I listen to the M100s, the more I miss my Signature Pros and my Mad Dogs! LOL! There's something that's bothering me a bit with them (apart from the comfort factor). Not sure if it's the Mids or the extra bump in midbass or what... As I mentioned before, the M100s to me sound similar to a more refined Denon D600... and I ended selling those. If I were to chose 1 closed portable headphone, the Ultrasone Signature Pro would still come out on top (even if they aren't built with the same standard... that's not to say they are not rugged though, probably more so... I wont try roughing them though! :p)

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #8,974 of 23,366
Quote:

Yup!
I meant the M-Audio Q40!

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in saying that the more I listen to the M100s, the more I miss my Signature Pros and my Mad Dogs! LOL! There's something that's bothering me a bit with them (apart from the comfort factor). Not sure if it's the Mids or the extra bump in midbass or what... As I mentioned before, the M100s to me sound similar to a more refined Denon D600... and I ended selling those. If I were to chose 1 closed portable headphone, the Ultrasone Signature Pro would still come out on top (even if they aren't built with the same standard... that's not to say they are not rugged though, probably more so... I wont try roughing them though! :p)

How would you compare mids on Q40 vs M100? On Q40 I find the mids neither recessed or forward if amped (possibly some hint of forwardness in female vocals and acoustic guitars and such due to a slight bump around 2kHz), what I'd concider neutral, ampless the midrange sounds very slightly recessed tho, maybe similar to M100 perhaps?

I really don't want less forward mids than that of Q40, slightly more forward lower-midrange would even be welcome and it seems that's where there's a slight recession even.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #8,975 of 23,366
Quote:

How would you compare mids on Q40 vs M100? On Q40 I find the mids neither recessed or forward if amped (possibly some hint of forwardness in female vocals and acoustic guitars and such due to a slight bump around 2kHz), what I'd concider neutral, ampless the midrange sounds very slightly recessed tho, maybe similar to M100 perhaps?

I really don't want less forward mids than that of Q40, slightly more forward lower-midrange would even be welcome and it seems that's where there's a slight recession even.

I consider mids in terms of level comparable to Q40 and the M-100 is far superior in detail.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #8,976 of 23,366
Quote:

I think you'd be a bit disappointed with M100 Mids IF you expect them to be more forward than the Q40s (they are not, at least not to my Ears. I enjoyed Nina Simone/Fiona Apple better on the Q40s than on the M100s, though, I'm going from MEMORY as I don't have the Q40s here to test out). BUT, weird thing is that detail extraction is still good! Not sure if it is because they are more "airy" than the Q40s and maybe that's what's "playing" with my ears, or due to driver or design!

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #8,977 of 23,366
Quote:

I think you'd be a bit disappointed with M100 Mids IF you expect them to be more forward than the Q40s (they are not, at least not to my Ears. I enjoyed Nina Simone/Fiona Apple better on the Q40s than on the M100s, though, I'm going from MEMORY as I don't have the Q40s here to test out). BUT, weird thing is that detail extraction is still good! Not sure if it is because they are more "airy" than the Q40s and maybe that's what's "playing" with my ears, or due to driver or design!

Yea well I've been very satisfied with Q40 with female vocals especially so I'm a little worried about M100 about this, but only when Q40 is paired with ZO2.1  and the simple padmod that deepens the cups a little bit which makes the Q40 sound less smeared in the midrange and better separated. I do expect M100 to have an improvement in terms of separation and transparency but I'm worried if they are not "in-your-face" enough on M100. I'd probably do the padmod for M100 too which appearently brings mids forward a bit. Maybe with padmod + ZO2.1 it would sound quite nice I'm thinking, ZO2.1 brings mids a bit more forward in comparision to highs too.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #8,978 of 23,366
Quote:

Yea well I've been very satisfied with Q40 with female vocals especially so I'm a little worried about M100 about this, but only when Q40 is paired with ZO2.1  and the simple padmod that deepens the cups a little bit which makes the Q40 sound less smeared in the midrange and better separated. I do expect M100 to have an improvement in terms of separation and transparency but I'm worried if they are not "in-your-face" enough on M100. I'd probably do the padmod for M100 too which appearently brings mids forward a bit.

To my ears, M-100 is as good as the Sig Pro for female vocals.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #8,979 of 23,366
Quote:
Yea well I've been very satisfied with Q40 with female vocals especially so I'm a little worried about M100 about this, but only when Q40 is paired with ZO2.1  and the simple padmod that deepens the cups a little bit which makes the Q40 sound less smeared in the midrange and better separated.

A bit off-topic for this thread: what made my Q40's really come alive was pairing them with an iBasso D-Zero Dac+amp.  For some reason those two pair really well.  The D-Zero doesn't sound good with my HD25's nor my Shure 440's, and the Q40 doesn't sound good with my C421 amp, while the other two headphones don't sound good with the D-Zero.  I don't use the Q40's much, they live attached to my work PC for the odd youtube, itunes, etc., but mostly I still use my HD25 + C421 + iPod at work.  Anyway, again, off topic.

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Puffery, I would love to hear your thoughts compared to the Amperior, after you've had some time with your new cans.  I know a few have touched on this already, but it's nice to get another perspective.  Enjoy!

Okay I have had a chance to sit down and compare the two.
[...]
  1. Good detail and resolution in the highs but maybe a slight very tiny edge to the amperior in resolution due to its greater extension. But I think the M-100 presents highs much better.
  2. It seems like it is missing a small amount of extension at the very top of the range. Not a huge deal to me, but it is missing.
[...]

Thanks so much for the comparison!  The couple of bullets I included above are really the only thing holding me back.  I do like the details of the hd25 and rarely find them fatiguing.  So for now, I am still on the fence.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #8,980 of 23,366
Injecting some Dutch post-Sandy love into the US-economy 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Keep it up EastCoasters!

Okay, just got these a few hours ago, so bear with me :), here's a (very) prelimary impression. Mind you, I'm no 'audiophile' in the sense of measuring frequencies; in the end all I care about is wether music moves me. Upfront: if and when the music fits my taste, the M-100's definitely lives up to all the hype preceding the official launch (can't believe I pre-ordered these way back in august).

I started listening (iPad 2) with one of my favourite sq test tracks, 'Elephant Machine' by Younger Brother [Spotify | Youtube}. That's some lovely dynamic, clear and in your face sound! Continuing to a song that showes quite a nice level of agressiveness in these phones (when needed, ofcourse), 'C.T.F.O.', by Sebastian [Spotify | Youtube]. 'Bonzai', by Dutch dj Junkie XL [Spotify] had me moving in my seat. If you like something more experimental (IDM), check out '1110_01_lv_1b' by Grischa Lichtenberger [Spotiy | Youtube]. Chilling out with Loscil's 'Hastings Sunrise' [Spotify | Youtube] sounds truly ambient.

"But I despise electronic music", you say? Well, let's hop on over to 'Abraham's new gift' [Spotiy | Youtube], by the awesome Danish jazz-trio Phronesis. This comes in loud, clear and live-like. Shimmering cymbals, dynamic piano, bass flexing it's accoustic muscles. The already impressive 'Incarnate' by Josh Maxey [Spotify] gained new hights and atmosphere through the M-100's. For the more classic minded jazz-aficionado's, a song like 'La ronde suite part I' by The Modern Jazz Quartet [Spotify] sounds great and reveals, to a nice extend, some vintage jazz sounds.  

To save the "least" for the last, onto guitars. 'Watch the corners' [Spotify | Youtube], from Dinosaur Jr's new album I Bet On Sky, sounded good. As good as these headphones permit, however. Rethoric question: Is it a surprise that these cans are more inclined to electronic music then to rock? (no) Do I mind? (no). Perhaps it's because of the somewhat emphasized bass, but a song like 'Augustine' by We Are Augustines [Spotify | Youtube] just misses the 'attack' that is experienced in electronic music. (In jazz and classical this matters less to my ears). Still rocking out on Gallow's 'Outsider art' [Spotify | Youtube] though!. And stuff which bridges rock and electronic, like 'Tell 'Em' by Sleigh Bells [Spotify | Youtube], or the classic 'Dominion/Mother Russia' by Sisters of Mercy [Spotify | Youtube] however, +100!

Now, after buying the iPhone this afternoon (Apple Store Amsterdam) I went to check out Sennheiser's Momentum. Admittedly, It was not an ideal listening enviroment (noisy), but I feel 100 times more happy spending roughly the same amount of money on the M-100's then on the Senns (not just trying to justify my new purchase here). I thought the Momentum sounded muddy, too bass heavy and 'slow'. I think I'd say the same about the Amperiors wich stood next to them. (I'd prefer the sound of my Sennheiser HD 595's, but you know, thats an open-backed can)

Build wise, these 'phones made me remember remarks by a The Verge-editor recently about the iPhone 5; about tech-gear resembling jewelry, in a not to flashy way. In the case (sic) of the M-100's that's one tough diamond. I think it's quite a feat by V-Moda to build something like this, with them being a relatively small company compared to the likes of Sennheiser or Philips. Not at all suprised about Val's earlier remarks that he had numerous companies wanting to buy V-Moda. Luckily, he's managed to keep them at bay so far. 

All in all, these headphones sound fun, in-your-face, coherent and detailed. For the love of music, you'd do yourself a huge disfavour by not checking out the M-100's (okay, I just made it sound slightly more complicated then necessary, but you get the point). Thanks for reading - rock on!

#happycamper

P.S. Val, thanks for the personal note ('Feel the vibe!'). I'm feeling it :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #8,985 of 23,366
How in the heck do I get my hands on these by Saturday? They're exactly what I want and in my price range, but V-MODA claims not to have any, nor will they, until December. I've used their cheap in-ears from Radioshack w/ comply tips, and they're exceptional for the price. I know I'll love these. I'm desperate for them. Did anyone here get a comp for a review that wouldn't mind giving them up for a month in exchange for the full purchase price + shipping? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back