V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #8,956 of 23,366
Quote:
the M-100s are the best ear muffs ever.

No. Sony XB*00s are the best ear muffs ever. 
gs1000.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #8,957 of 23,366
I don't know why people insist but... the M100 DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT NEED AMPING!!! Now that we got that out of the way, of course as with MOST headphones, the M100s will BENEFIT from an amp but it doesn't really need it!

Regarding bass and sub-bass, if the song has it, the M100s can reproduce it. Simple. You don't need the ZO2, or a cmoyBB/c421 with bass boost, or a Fiio with bass boost, etc. These I already find are "bassy" headphones (mid bass is a bit pronounced... just like the Denon D600s...).
Personally, I find the bass to be "enough" and has a good amount of sub-bass to feel those lower notes. Tracks like Kaskade's Fire in your New Shoes, Skrillex Amplifire, Deadmau5 Ghost's n Stuff, Strobe, Three Six Mafia, etc. sound mighty fine to me. More bass would probably hurt these m100s...

but IF YOU ARE A BASSHEAD, and want to always feel your head vibrating and the drivers going to max while unscrewing the enclosures, then muddy the sound up by buying a ZO and increase the bass till your heart's content!

Or better yet, there are other, cheaper, options for getting the same effect and good sound quality (i.e. M-Audio).

Thanks.
Enjoy.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #8,958 of 23,366
Quote:
After RMAF, it was straight to the holiday update of the Head-Fi Buying Guide for me. I'm giving the M-100 what I consider to be a very deserved full page in it. What I post about the M-100 in the Guide is going to be the soonest I'll have time to post any in-depth feelings about it.
Long story short, I love the M-100. It was also one of the stars of this year's CanJam @ RMAF, so I predict I'll be far from alone in my feelings about it.

Cool.  I am about 90% done with my review on the M-100, and I'm still really digging them since RMAF.  They're a whole lot of fun to use, even un-amped through a portable player like iPod Nano or iPhone.  I suspect that the Sony MDR1 and Senneheiser Momentum will give it some good competition, but I like these more than my SRH-840, ATH-A900, and HD25-1 II.   

I'll post a link in here after I post my review.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #8,959 of 23,366
Quote:
So the M-100s can't produce thumping bass without an amp? Not crazy boom boom bass, but like, pronounced bass without muddled mids and whatnot (pertaining to r&b music and movies and immersive gaming).

Who said that? Smooth jazz sound great through the M-100's. The bass guitar has a nice presence (a bit too much for home listening for me), and the bass pedal gives a chest-pounding feeling even through my Sansa Clip Zip. Amping merely enhances this effect and makes the bass a tad bit cleaner-sounding.

Quote:
I don't know why people insist but... the M100 DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT NEED AMPING!!!

This. I don't know why people are buying amps like there's no tomorrow. I already said, it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. It's not like a K 701, where your headphone will sound like junk out of an iPod.

Quote:
I mentioned this in a previous post but it was never answered.
If I choose to get the M100s over the M80s for computer listening and through my SGS 3, what amp would be best? Are their amps available for this phone that like with ipods, would access the digital out instead of relying on headphone out? Does this affect sound quality?

Also, I've only ever had 2 headphones but want something that will blow me away compared with the ones I own.
Would I notice a massive difference in sound quality over say the PX100 iis I use in a day to day basis or is that just a stupid question?
The only other headphone I've had has been the Koss Portapros and I found the sound to be less detailed than the Pxs.

One last question. The M100s now available for pre-order on the site, are they now the finals we will expect to roll out and should be available at Amazon UK soon after in December? I'm seriously hoping before Christmas.

Thanks all

Sorry, I'll try to help you but unfortunately I can't provide much information.
I don't know anything about the S3's sound quality, but Scrypt seems to know a lot about it. See my remark above regarding amps. It doesn't make that much of a difference in sound quality.

I think you would notice a large difference in sound quality between the PX100 and PortaPro's, particularly in the bass department and overall details heard in your songs.

The pre-orders on the website are the final version. Whether or not they're sold through Amazon UK is up in the air. Val kind of addressed it earlier in this thread but there was no definite answer. The M-100's will be shipping before the holidays though, so there's hope.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #8,960 of 23,366
Quote:

The pre-orders on the website are the final version. Whether or not they're sold through Amazon UK is up in the air. Val kind of addressed it earlier in this thread but there was no definite answer. The M-100's will be shipping before the holidays though, so there's hope.

The most recent round of review samples that went out recently are also the final version.  Same as the ones that will be shipping next month.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #8,961 of 23,366
I don't know why people insist but... the M100 DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT NEED AMPING!!! Now that we got that out of the way, of course as with MOST headphones, the M100s will BENEFIT from an amp but it doesn't really need it!

Regarding bass and sub-bass, if the song has it, the M100s can reproduce it. Simple. You don't need the ZO2, or a cmoyBB/c421 with bass boost, or a Fiio with bass boost, etc. These I already find are "bassy" headphones (mid bass is a bit pronounced... just like the Denon D600s...).
Personally, I find the bass to be "enough" and has a good amount of sub-bass to feel those lower notes. Tracks like Kaskade's Fire in your New Shoes, Skrillex Amplifire, Deadmau5 Ghost's n Stuff, Strobe, Three Six Mafia, etc. sound mighty fine to me. More bass would probably hurt these m100s...

but IF YOU ARE A BASSHEAD, and want to always feel your head vibrating and the drivers going to max while unscrewing the enclosures, then muddy the sound up by buying a ZO and increase the bass till your heart's content!

Or better yet, there are other, cheaper, options for getting the same effect and good sound quality (i.e. M-Audio).

Thanks.
Enjoy.

What do you mean by the m-audio? I was looking all over the internet and I couldn't find it? Unless you mean a non puzzle amp

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #8,963 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks.
Enjoy.

EXACTLY.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #8,964 of 23,366
Quote:
What do you mean by the m-audio? I was looking all over the internet and I couldn't find it? Unless you mean a non puzzle amp

I think he meant the M-Audio Q40 headphone. A quick Google search of "M-Audio headphone" should suffice. Or if not, here's the official webpage.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #8,965 of 23,366
Now now, it may not be basshead booms, but the bass is definitely pronounced while hitting cleanly. It really makes bass heavy songs that much more fun while not bleeding into the midrange. For extra purr you can get that from an amp like Arion did, but idk if anyone has an LP2 to compare with in terms of bass hit at the moment.

They produce the punch/thump just fine out of an IPhone. It's just that with my desktop setup I exprienced purring which is the really deep down rumble that I find really satisfying for electronic and bassy music but I didn't get that with my iPhone so I bought a ZO2 so I could perfectly tune the bass to my liking to get the purring I desired.
The bass still goes deep with an iPhone but its not as deep as it goes with an amp and with the iPhone 4 you don't get the purring. But with my brief testing with the iPhone 5 the bass seemed to be boomier and might produce purring with the right songs.

Thanks guys this is exactly what I wanted to hear! Btw, do you all think that purple shields would look better with the matte black or shadow m-100s?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #8,966 of 23,366
Quote:

Hi Puffery, I would love to hear your thoughts compared to the Amperior, after you've had some time with your new cans.  I know a few have touched on this already, but it's nice to get another perspective.  Enjoy!

Okay I have had a chance to sit down and compare the two.

I will be using the DACmini as the source and amp

Amperior

Prior to having the M-100 I used the amperior and HD25 for the better part of the last few years as my portable headphones of choice.

sound
  1. Fatiguing 7-10 khz area which seems elevated. This causes painful ssss sounds in songs with a lot of this type of note. A good song to demonstrate this is Turning Tables from Adele’s live album.
  2. Good detail in the highs but again is sibilant. Good resolution in the highs and extends a bit further then the M-100
  3. Foreward mids and slightly more detailed then the M100. This is the only thing the amperior does better then the M-100 to me.
  4. Smaller soundstage and sounds constricted/compressed when compared to the M-100
  5. Good bass, nice punch, very tight and controlled to me
  6. But seriously fatiguing ssssss notes.The amperior really does pierce your ear drums with its highs

Build Quality, Accessories and Other Thoughts
The amperior is well built like the HD25. It is sturdy and does not seem flimsy at all. Nothing in its design seems weak or like it is going to break anytime soon. Something I will say is that the aluminum does scratch so you don't want to throw it in your school bag like you can with the HD25. Mine has a tiny nick on its side even though I have never dropped it and keep it in the HD25 bag at all times. It is rather disappointing that this headphone does not come with a carrying case. The M-100 utterly destroys the amperior with its features and accessories. For $350 Sennheiser is seriously being stingy in this aspect and I applaud Val for the awesome package that was the VTF-100.

M-100

sound
  1. So I immediately noticed higher resolution bass with better extension and overall punch. I listened to “****box” by noisia and “suave” by calle 13 as a starting point to make this comparison.  
  2. Good detail and resolution in the highs but maybe a slight very tiny edge to the amperior in resolution due to its greater extension. But I think the M-100 presents highs much better.
  3. It seems like it is missing a small amount of extension at the very top of the range. Not a huge deal to me, but it is missing.
  4. All the fatigue is gone when compared to the amperior, which in my book gives it a significant advantage for any kind of listening.
  5. It definitely has a wider soundstage with a lot more air between everything. Doesn’t get convoluted as quickly as the amperior does.
  6. Slightly recessed mids but good presentation overall
  7. Something I noticed is that perhaps the same mechanism that gives the “purr” in the bass also adds a tiny amount of reverb throughout the entire spectrum. I dont know if anyone else has even thought of this but I can't shake the thought from my mind. I do not experience this with the amperior.

The M-100 seems well built and I expect it to last a long time just by looking at it. It is a sturdy headphone which folds neatly into a tiny package thanks to its hinges. For this reason it is easier to carry around than the amperior.[size=9.5pt] I love how my shields turned out and the overall look of the matte black is just perfect. OK so not only is the M-100 a superior headphone but it came with 2 cables, a boom-mic, custom shields, a carrying case, among other things, while being cheaper then the amperior at $310. [/size]

Conclusion
I can say without a doubt that the M-100 is a superior headphone in most ways. I love both headphones and wear them both to school sometimes just because one better suits what I am wearing. I go to University of Toronto so let me know if you spot me with my amperior or M-100. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #8,967 of 23,366
Quote:
Conclusion
I can say without a doubt that the M-100 is a superior headphone in most ways. I love both headphones and wear them both to school sometimes just because one better suits what I am wearing. I go to University of Toronto so let me know if you spot me with my amperior or M-100. 

cough Argos suck cough

ahem go bombers go ahem

Nice review by the way

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #8,968 of 23,366
I've got a cMoyBB and most times I leave the bass boost off because it's a little too much on the M-100 for my tastes. It's very clean and has a great "boom" to it adding a face melting layer to EDM and dubstep when I'm in the mood for it. The main thing the cMoy does is it cleans up the sound and adds a bit more to soundstage and instrument separation. If I had to sum it up with one word I'd use the word, "tighter." Beyond those minor differences the addition of an amp, while preferable, is not necessarily a requirement to enjoy the sound of the M-100 and, depending on the depth of the pockets on the pants I'm wearing, I am happy with the sound both amped and otherwise. If listening to the M-100 unamped was like eating a slice of cheese pizza, then amping it is like adding some parmesan on top. You're not getting pepperoni with an amp. Maybe a stray slice of onion.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #8,969 of 23,366
Quote:

Tyll may not have written anything about it (yet) but he's definitely spoken about it :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVTSafas1j0

(and was wearing them for the video group conference even)

Now THAT was an interesting talk. The M-100's distortion was interesting to hear about. I always took the distortion measurements with little regards on the other hand, so it didn't really phase me.

And BAM! At 0:54:20, that is my reasoning for "burn-in" and why I don't think it exists. More specifically at 0:55:01. From what I've read and experienced, a headphone "sounding better" after "burn-in" is really the psychology of the brain getting used to the sound over time, or is pre-conditioned to like sound X over sound Y.

You've all read how I didn't really like the M-100 over the SRH940 at first, and how that has changed over time as I listened to the M-100 more and more. I've even logged and reported my findings about the "burn-in" effect for the M-100's; 144+ hours of pink noise "burn-in" logged and there was very little, if at all, a difference between the out-of-the-box M-100 and the "burned-in" M-100.

Just as what we read affects how we perceive things, I think hearing something with reference to something else affects how we perceive sound. Did anyone mention amps for the M-100?

Quote:

Okay I have had a chance to sit down and compare the two.

I will be using the DACmini as the source and amp

Amperior

Prior to having the M-100 I used the amperior and HD25 for the better part of the last few years as my portable headphones of choice.

sound
  1. Fatiguing 7-10 khz area which seems elevated. This causes painful ssss sounds in songs with a lot of this type of note. A good song to demonstrate this is Turning Tables from Adele’s live album.
  2. Good detail in the highs but again is sibilant. Good resolution in the highs and extends a bit further then the M-100
  3. Foreward mids and slightly more detailed then the M100. This is the only thing the amperior does better then the M-100 to me.
  4. Smaller soundstage and sounds constricted/compressed when compared to the M-100
  5. Good bass, nice punch, very tight and controlled to me
  6. But seriously fatiguing ssssss notes.The amperior really does pierce your ear drums with its highs

The amperior is well built like the HD25. It is sturdy and does not seem flimsy at all. Nothing in its design seems weak or like it is going to break anytime soon. Something I will say is that the aluminum does scratch so you don't want to throw it in your school bag like you can with the HD25. Mine has a tiny nick on its side even though I have never dropped it and keep it in the HD25 bag at all times. It is rather disappointing that this headphone does not come with a carrying case. The M-100 utterly destroys the amperior with its features and accessories. For $350 Sennheiser is seriously being stingy in this aspect and I applaud Val for the awesome package that was the VTF-100.

M-100

sound
  1. So I immediately noticed higher resolution bass with better extension and overall punch. I listened to “****box” by noisia and “suave” by calle 13 as a starting point to make this comparison.  
  2. Good detail and resolution in the highs but maybe a slight very tiny edge to the amperior in resolution due to its greater extension. But I think the M-100 presents highs much better.
  3. It seems like it is missing a small amount of extension at the very top of the range. Not a huge deal to me, but it is missing.
  4. All the fatigue is gone when compared to the amperior, which in my book gives it a significant advantage for any kind of listening.
  5. It definitely has a wider soundstage with a lot more air between everything. Doesn’t get convoluted as quickly as the amperior does.
  6. Slightly recessed mids but good presentation overall
  7. Something I noticed is that perhaps the same mechanism that gives the “purr” in the bass also adds a tiny amount of reverb throughout the entire spectrum. I dont know if anyone else has even thought of this but I can't shake the thought from my mind. I do not experience this with the amperior.

The M-100 seems well built and I expect it to last a long time just by looking at it. It is a sturdy headphone which folds neatly into a tiny package thanks to its hinges. For this reason it is easier to carry around the amperior.[size=9.5pt] I love how my shields turned out and the overall look of the matte black is just perfect. OK so not only is the M-100 a superior headphone but it came with 2 cables, a boom-mic, custom shields, a carrying case, among other things, while being cheaper then then amperior at $310. [/size]

Conclusion

I completely agree with this post. +9001 to you.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #8,970 of 23,366
Quote:

A partial hierarchy of importance:

1. Content
2. Source
3. Amplification

Users who are viewing this thread

Back