V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 28, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #8,882 of 23,366
Quote:
is it just me or some of the reviews feel 'forced' - in a way they sound as if the reviewer is forced to like the headphones because of all the time and money he had already invested (more subjective that other reviews I've seen on this webpage). None of the reviews are making me want to run and buy these headphones - guess I'll wait for more... or just get the m80s

If you've read my experience with the M-100, I wasn't too "wowed" or satisfied with its sound upon listening to them at home. When I got the chance to use it on the bus and traveling between classes at school on the other hand, I think they're a fantastic headphone. There's no denying that they are not a perfect headphone, but for the price, I think they're one of the best headphones you can get, and this is speaking from experience. Given the fact that they're audiophile "fashion" headphones, I think the M-100's are better than a lot of the competing headphones out there.

Quote:
Has anyone tested any classical/soundtrack/orchestra or jazz on these? Or acoustic/vocals in general? I can deal with "pretty good" for all of the other genres I listen to, but I'm really picky about my acoustic genres. Not sure at this point if these are the cans for me.

Ottmar Liebert's albums sound pretty good on the M-100. He's currently my favourite artist for guitar/"nuevo flamenco" music. The guitar is noticeably laid back relative to the bass (bass guitar or other lower pitched instruments) and the bass might be a little too overpowering for my personal tastes, but tonally I think the guitar is pretty good. On some of the higher frequency instruments in acoustic tracks (i.e. rainsticks or maraca-like instruments), the M-100 doesn't particularly shine in that category. Because of this, some acoustic tracks might sound off because of the nature of the M-100's sound.

On the SRH940, the guitar sounded nice and crisp, but lacked some weight/warmth, so tonally it sounded a bit off to my ears.

Here's some ear candy for you early trick-or-treaters out there. Acoustic binaural recording.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #8,883 of 23,366
Val..... please o please do make the bass on the m-100's atleast as heavy as the lp2, i want the headphone to be fun
to listen to and not so boring like the m-80, ive bought thr m-80, lp's, and the lp2's so far i probably us the lp2's the most 
for the reason that they're actually fun to listen to for the great amount of bass it has.
i would totally buy them if they had a good amount of bass.
not comparing them at all to the beats by dre because they suck, but i feel like other than the looks, the bets line
is famous because of the amount of bass that they have, people like that Val. think about it.
more consumers would like that and realize that they are better than most headphones.
already pre-ordered my pair, but i wish that the final product was bass heavy. it's what the people want!

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #8,884 of 23,366
Quote:
Val..... please o please do make the bass on the m-100's atleast as heavy as the lp2, i want the headphone to be fun
to listen to and not so boring like the m-80, ive bought thr m-80, lp's, and the lp2's so far i probably us the lp2's the most 
for the reason that they're actually fun to listen to for the great amount of bass it has.
not comparing them at all to the beats by dre because they suck, but i feel like other than the looks, the bets line
is famous because of the amount of bass that they have, people like that Val. think about it.
more consumers would like that and realize that they are better than most headphones.
already pre-ordered my pair, but i wish that the final product was bass heavy. it's what the people want!

Ummmm speak for yourself, I want quality bass not just more bass. A lot of people are beginning to move away from just having more bass and are demanding bass that's sounds like quality bass. Considering the M-100 has it's bass accentuated 8 decibels I doubt anyone will class it as bass anemic. You're entitled to your own opinion of coarse but the M-80 in my opinion and many others on here isn't classed as boring.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #8,886 of 23,366
Quote:

The sound of the M-100 is already locked in and if you already have the LP and LP2, why would you want a headphone from the M-series to sound the same way? If you've read through this thread, you would have seen that the M-100's sound is very similar to the M-80 (which you also own) but with deeper, yet less punchy(at least to my ears), bass, slightly more recessed mids, and more extended highs. You have your bass cans, and if the M-80s bore you, then you will be disappointed by these. Move on.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #8,888 of 23,366
Quote:
Just want to take a minute to thank all of you for providing such in-depth, objective input on the M-100. These reviews and impressions have been invaluable.

Hey Roma, nice to see you back on the thread. I was wondering what had happened to you, welcome back.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #8,889 of 23,366
Hey, roma! I guessing from that comment that you didn't order a pre-production unit?

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #8,891 of 23,366
Quote:

You could just use a ZO to get that extra bass

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #8,892 of 23,366
Quote:

1. Not trying to be degrading, but the LP/LP2 isn't very well regarded on Head-Fi since it's not "hi-fi". People here would probably readily recommend an ATH-M50 over the LP/LP2 any day for more music genres.
2. In regards to the Beats remark, I could easily just as well say that the LP/LP2's suck without providing any details. To be fair and not over-generalizing, the Executive is actually reasonably priced for what you get out of it and I would say it actually sounds better than an LP/LP2. If you want a super bassy headphone, I would suggest a Sony XB since it would better suite your needs for bass rather than a M-100.
3. Sure some people want a bassy headphone, but that market is already pretty well saturated. You don't have to look very far at all to find a bassy headphone. The M-100 was semi-tuned by pro-hi-fi audiophiles, so naturally it will have less bass than the "non hi-fi" LP/LP2. In fact, I think having even more bass in the M-100 would detract me from liking it since I think it has a little too much of it, as is, not to mention that the M-100 would probably be less suitable for more genres of music.
4. Even if the M-100 doesn't have "a lot of bass", there are plenty of ways to help remedy this "deficiency". Using an equalizer is one option, using a coloured source or amp is another option. It's already been suggested that the ZO2 "sub woofer" amplifier really enhances the M-100's bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back