V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8,777 of 23,366
Oct 26, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #8,778 of 23,366
For anyone who thinks the M-100 can't do metal I say click the YouTube below and see for yourself how well it does some metal.

I never knew how fast note decay was on the M-100 until I heard this song on it

The new addition with my top mobile rig

V-MODA M-100 in matte black with custom croc skin shields, iPod 64 GB 3rd gen , Fiio L9 LOD, ALO RX MKII amp

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #8,779 of 23,366
They finally arrived!  Playing some Pentangle through my Leckerton....  I'm one happy camper!  

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #8,780 of 23,366
Quote:
They finally arrived!  Playing some Pentangle through my Leckerton....  I'm one happy camper!  

UHA6 or the UHA-4?

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #8,782 of 23,366
I've been going through a number of threads here and I'm still stuck between ordering either the Logitech UE 9000 or the M-100. I know they both have a different set of features and basically fall under entirely different categories, but I wanted to ask the experts out there if these cans could be compared on sound quality alone. For a listener who prefers rock and metal, along with movies being the only other use out of the headphones, which of these should a wanna-be audiophile go for?
Thanks in advance for your input. Much appreciated. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #8,783 of 23,366
One of my "Wing Tips" (is this how they are called) is coming disjointed/disconnected exactly where one of the screws is! :frowning2:

Thought I read this before on the thread... worse thing is that I haven't even fully used the headphones as I do with my other ones (probably 4 days of light use...)

Listening to some "classic" rock now... Journey... sounds great.

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #8,784 of 23,366
I just ordered a pair last week and I'm beginning to doubt my purchase. More than 3 headfiers state how their new m-100 are falling appart. At 300$ apiece there is no reason this should be happening. Anyways, if I am not 100% satisfied with my purchase VModa will be receiving their product back.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #8,785 of 23,366
Quote:
I just ordered a pair last week and I'm beginning to doubt my purchase. More than 3 headfiers state how their new m-100 are falling appart. At 300$ apiece there is no reason this should be happening. Anyways, if I am not 100% satisfied with my purchase VModa will be receiving their product back.

But...but its VMODA... 
I thought these were built like a tank and would last my whole life
LINKS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #8,786 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah links please ho my gawd. I am SO CLOSE to taking the plunge.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #8,787 of 23,366
Quote:

One of my wingtips is doing the same on the left side of the headband. They also forgot to include a V-Cork with my order, so I emailed support about it and they won't have spare parts until December or so. I'm assuming it's because of the mass production launch. V-MODA has great customer service, and you have a 2 year warranty. Just email them and send them in when they're restocked.

On a side note, I am really digging DigitalFreak's mod. The toned down bass and more spacious soundstage have nullified my yearnings for a Sennheiser 558/598. It's not quite as good, but damned if I'll be shelling out another couple hundred dollars for something that's just slightly better and for only one genre in particular.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #8,788 of 23,366
Just browse through the last few pages of the forum and you will see more then a few complaints regarding comfort/build/sound quality. Now please take my complainining with a grain of salt as I have not received my M-100 yet but after reading through this thread... I am a bit doubtful at this point.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #8,789 of 23,366
Quote:
Just browse through the last few pages of the forum and you will see more then a few complaints regarding comfort/build/sound quality. Now please take my complainining with a grain of salt as I have not received my M-100 yet but after reading through this thread... I am a bit doubtful at this point.

Comfort is dependent on your ears, and more or less that's been present since the LP's (considering they're the same size). Sound quality is not an issue. We may have gripes but to list them out only serves V-Moda for the better. And they're not large gripes. It's less that "they suck for this genre!" and more that "they're okay but some headphones play this genre better". But when they shine, they shine.

Now build quality is a bit strange, but overall the build quality of these are phenomenal. It is indeed a bit strange for them to come out like this, but if there are any gripes, customer support'll be there to help. 

All in all it's a fantastic package, and if I had to guess, certain build problems (blemishes, the screws, etc) are due to retooling certain units using old parts, as these are first run units and their parts were limited (being that mass production had yet to be approved of course), and hopefully, these sorts of build problems won't be present in the mass production.

And remember, I don't really recall anyone saying "these headphones suck!" It's more "these headphones are okay with this genre but some other headphones do it better." But when they shine, they really shine. Granted, YMMV depending on your sound signature preference, but these are some pretty great stuff.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #8,790 of 23,366
Quote:
I've been going through a number of threads here and I'm still stuck between ordering either the Logitech UE 9000 or the M-100. I know they both have a different set of features and basically fall under entirely different categories, but I wanted to ask the experts out there if these cans could be compared on sound quality alone. For a listener who prefers rock and metal, along with movies being the only other use out of the headphones, which of these should a wanna-be audiophile go for?
Thanks in advance for your input. Much appreciated. 

I wouldn't go for either for rock or metal. The M100 is missing at least a half-octave at the top end, a sweet spot for cymbals and electric guitars, while the UE is missing a whole octave. The DT1350, HD25-1-II/Amperior and maybe even a Grado are better for those genres. The M100 is better for pop music.

I'm listening to the M100 right now on my go-to pop rig: Walkman Z1050 > Alo RxMkII. First impressions:

1. The M80 sounded pretty good on this rig, so predictably the M100 sounds just great. There's something about the Walkmen's mids and RxMII's wide soundstage that opens up the M100 nicely. On the IPod, the M100's mids are marginally recessed and the soundstage narrower, but it's still a good pairing.
  2. A/B comparison with the M-Audio Q40: Q40's soundstage is wider, images better, tonally more balanced (more top end detail), while the M100 has more focus, more energy, more forward, engaging sound (especially bass). The M100 handles fast, dense-sounding music with ease, while the Q40 sounds slightly laid back and resolution is sometimes not there (older drivers?)
  3. On a desktop amp (Burson HA-150), the M100 opens up a bit but a little underwhelming. You may as well get an Audeze, Hifiman or HD650 headphone if you can afford a good, midrange desktop amp. A portable amp or a compact dac/amp is the way to go with the M100.
  4. I would call the M100 "mobile audiophile" for the pop-music-listening crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back