V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #8,116 of 23,366
Quote:

This article made me almost tear up at first, but then I jumped in the air and gave myself AND ALL OF YOU GUYS a virtual high-five in the mirror!

"V-MODA is a small company out of Hollywood, California that is perhaps the most diligent audio accessory maker on the planet. They make one new product a year. That's it. They're well known to the biggest audio freaks on the planet, because they don't just comb through audiophile forums looking to figure out what people want--they ask. They crowdsource ideas. Their return rates are very, very low. Every component, every material is chosen after weeks or months of testing, personally, by maybe two guys. Val Kolton, the founder of the company, traveled back and forth to Japan to listen to dozens of potential drivers. They tossed aside plastic in favor of good, honest metal and leather and fabric. The M-100s spent more than three years in development. Not that Sennheiser and Shure and Audio-Technica aren't serious--they just make things in bulk, and none of them have a CEO who can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of various types of air regulation as regards noise isolation. V-MODA's brand of obsession is Apple-level crazy. Good crazy."

I feel like advertising these to my friends so they can buy them. You still have that video of you drop kicking the LPs on a football field?

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #8,118 of 23,366
I really like the shiny part. But yes, you are correct, no colors will match with the red headband and stuff. 
You can send it in now if you do it before they ship, it will be applied to the extra shield you ordered, the colored one. :)

Regarding the shield design, so I preordered the Matte Black which comes with a dull or matte black shield. My second set of shield is croc skin black, but I want the croc skin to have no design. I do not think croc skin can be lazer engraved right? Would it be possible to put the design on the first set of shield?

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #8,120 of 23,366
This article made me almost tear up at first, but then I jumped in the air and gave myself AND ALL OF YOU GUYS a virtual high-five in the mirror!

"V-MODA is a small company out of Hollywood, California that is perhaps the most diligent audio accessory maker on the planet. They make one new product a year. That's it. They're well known to the biggest audio freaks on the planet, because they don't just comb through audiophile forums looking to figure out what people want--they ask. They crowdsource ideas. Their return rates are very, very low. Every component, every material is chosen after weeks or months of testing, personally, by maybe two guys. Val Kolton, the founder of the company, traveled back and forth to Japan to listen to dozens of potential drivers. They tossed aside plastic in favor of good, honest metal and leather and fabric. The M-100s spent more than three years in development. Not that Sennheiser and Shure and Audio-Technica aren't serious--they just make things in bulk, and none of them have a CEO who can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of various types of air regulation as regards noise isolation. V-MODA's brand of obsession is Apple-level crazy. Good crazy."

Congrats Val, you really hit home with the M-100's and deserve all the praise you are getting for them. I am loving my M-100's and might write a review soon.

On a side note can anybody recommend a portable amp for the M-100's. it's just that I really miss not having purring when I'm out and about and driving them just from my iPhone. If it also improves anything else I would also be happy but my main goal is to have purring as I think everything else is perfect.

The amps I looked at so far are The E11, Zo2, pa2v2, c421, and cmoyBB. Out of all of those its between the ZO2 and E11 but I was just curious as to what you guys think.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #8,122 of 23,366
Quote:
And BSR I actually ordered White pads with mine and got them so I'm not sure why you didn't get them but I'm sure Val will help you out.

Thing is, the white pads for yours are probably LP/LP2 pads as well. I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the M-100 pads, or who got what exactly, but I would really love more clarification from Val. If it affects my sound at all, I want it fixed.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #8,123 of 23,366
Thing is, the white pads for yours are probably LP/LP2 pads as well. I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the M-100 pads, or who got what exactly, but I would really love more clarification from Val. If it affects my sound at all, I want it fixed.

Yea I heard about that before when Val posted about it. I haven't put them on yet as I wanted a clarification on that.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #8,124 of 23,366
Hi everyone. I just discovered these headphones (and this site). 
I'm really tempted to order these, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how colored they think the sound is?
I was thinking about getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATHM50S, but then I saw the M-100 and was like "ooooh". lol

To be honest I was hoping to spend less than $300, but I can adjust my budget if its worth it :)

Besides general listening, I'm also planning to use them for some audio production, which is why I asked about how colored they are. 

Also, does anyone have an idea of how soon they are being shipped out if I put an order in? And do they ship internationally?

Thanks!! 

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #8,126 of 23,366
I'm really tempted to order these, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how colored they think the sound is?
I was thinking about getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATHM50S, but then I saw the M-100 and was like "ooooh". lol

To be honest I was hoping to spend less than $300, but I can adjust my budget if its worth it :)

Besides general listening, I'm also planning to use them for some audio production, which is why I asked about how colored they are. 

Also, does anyone have an idea of how soon they are being shipped out if I put an order in? And do they ship internationally?

Thanks!! 

I personally don't find them that colored. And yes they do ship internationally and they will ship out approximately in December

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #8,129 of 23,366
Quote:

Thanks!! 

As an owner of the M50, I can give you the main points of difference quickly.

V-MODA Crossfade M-100
  1. More engaging/forward mids and treble.
  2. Much clearer, more detail in all areas. (Bass/Mids/Treble) Especially in Mids & Treble.
  3. Bass is larger - in both quality and quantity. Bass has a 'purr' on the M-100's, I could never get this on the M50's.
  4. The M-100 is a more colored headphone. Slightly balanced, but focuses more on musicality than perfect representation of the music.
  5. Build quality is much much better, but they are non-foldable. However, due to smaller cups, it can still be warn around the neck without much issue.
  6. Said smaller cups may be less comfortable than the M50's for people with larger ears. Ear pads are softer on the M-100, leading to equal comfort for both headphones, at least with smaller ears.
  7. Detachable cables, custom parts, replaceable pieces, carrying case, 2 year warranty, etc etc. Better repair/replacement-wise than M50.

Audio Technica ATH-M50
  1. Detailed treble, but not as much so as on the M-100's.
  2. Mids are slightly recessed. This usually leads to Vocals being slightly quieter than accompanying instruments.
  3. Detailed bass, slightly colored, but nowhere near as much so as the M-100. Considered a colored headphone, but still more 'flat' then M-100.
  1. More 'accurate' sound in comparison to the M-100. Focuses more on representing the original music than making it sound fun with coloration.
  2. Nice medium sized cups, fit most ears. Depth on cups is also great. Due to the flat padding, pressure isn't applied to any one spot, so they can be comfortable for hours. headband has good padding, feels solid.
  3. Build quality is above average, but the only metal is used for the ring as decoration and the adjusting bracket. Otherwise, these are all leather and good quality plastic. 
  4. Cable is long and unwieldy for portable use, at 10ft+. Coiled version solves problem, but adds heft. I personally had a re-cabled version, with a shorter cable, done by a friend.
  5. Cable is not detachable, plastic instead of metal means chips and scratches are more likely to occur. 1 year warranty, no test drive, bad repairability if damage occurs. 

.... And those are my thoughts from 3 days of A/B'ing both headphones. I plan on comparing them more, but I am extremely happy with my upgrade from my M50 to my M-100. It's a bigger cost, but worth it - especially for the M-100's. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back