V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Oct 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #8,101 of 23,366
As most have been so far, Gizmodo's review was favorable of the M-100's.  I will simply choose to pretend I didn't read this part.

"You wouldn't want to use these headphones to mix a recording. The mids aren't perfectly articulated the way the highs and lows are. The headphones capture all of the details of recordings, but they don't sound as clear or flat as standard bearers like the Sennhesier HD 250s. Yup, the M-100s' sound has color to it. That's going to bother a lot of people, but we loved the tonal blend."

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #8,102 of 23,366
I'm very much regretting that I didn't get the Shadow, they're by far the nicest looking pair in my book.
Just didn't want a copy of my M80's. I want the white M800's and the Shadow M100's. Haha.

Has anyone gotten the brushed metall shields on the white M100's yet?

I had an M80 shadow before and now I preordered the M100 matte black. My only reason is, it is not shiny. Secondly, you do not need to match your shield to the red V color on the headband..
The matte black is...... black... :xf_eek:

So now my preorder is in " awaiting for shipping " status, can i still design my shield and send it to them? Is the design going to the 1st shield or to the 2nd set?

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #8,103 of 23,366
There are a bunch of pictures up on vmodas site. helped me out in trying to decide between the two.
Quote:
Can someone post differences between the Matte Black and the Shadow? I'm not quite sure what the differences are.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #8,104 of 23,366
Quote:
I had an M80 shadow before and now I preordered the M100 matte black. My only reason is, it is not shiny. Secondly, you do not need to match your shield to the red V color on the headband..
The matte black is...... black...
redface.gif

So now my preorder is in " awaiting for shipping " status, can i still design my shield and send it to them? Is the design going to the 1st shield or to the 2nd set?

Should be fine given precedent and the fact that they're due to releease in December.

On the gizmodo article, Favorable indeed, but it does irk me that they say that the con is the price tag. Of course, it's a given that $300 is out of reach for many consumers, but to recommend that it be priced at $200 below the M80's? Is the sound really only worth $200? I don't believe that's what they meant, but I'm not a fan of the phrasing or that they chose a rather redundant con, but I guess that means they really really liked the M-100's.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #8,105 of 23,366
Quote:
The matte black is...... black...
redface.gif

I really like the shiny part. But yes, you are correct, no colors will match with the red headband and stuff. 
You can send it in now if you do it before they ship, it will be applied to the extra shield you ordered, the colored one. :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #8,106 of 23,366
Glad to see so many favorable reviews, especially from people who weren't regulars in here. More than just the v-moda True Believers are digging the sound!

My VTFs FINALLY shipped. I was getting pretty anxious, so I'm happy I'm in the final stages of waiting now.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #8,107 of 23,366
Quote:
Glad to see so many favorable reviews, especially from people who weren't regulars in here. More than just the v-moda True Believers digging the sound!

My VTFs FINALLY shipped. I was getting pretty anxious, so I'm happy I'm in the final stages of waiting now.

Mine have been shipping for over a week.. Haha.

Oct 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #8,108 of 23,366
Quote:
Should be fine given precedent and the fact that they're due to releease in December.

On the gizmodo article, Favorable indeed, but it does irk me that they say that the con is the price tag. Of course, it's a given that $300 is out of reach for many consumers, but to recommend that it be priced at $200 below the M80's? Is the sound really only worth $200? I don't believe that's what they meant, but I'm not a fan of the phrasing or that they chose a rather redundant con, but I guess that means they really really liked the M-100's.

Interestingly and paradoxically, the author calls it a 'tragic flaw'. I read the article as, 'it should have been priced lower so more people would/could enjoy it's qualities, but we aknowledge the fact that's unrealistic - given those exact same qualities'.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #8,110 of 23,366
Not sure I agree with Sound and Vision mag on this tiny point

"The M-100 sounds so good — and is so easy to carry around — that I could imagine it covering most headphone needs for most people, even serious personal audio aficionados, aside from those folks who need more overwhelming bass (and who — if they want V-Modas — might be better served by an M-80 or LP2)."

The M-100's bass is, to my ears, oh so much sweeter than the M-80's. I always found myself wanting just a bit more from my M-80, bass-wise. I could boost it with my E-17, but even then the M-80 sub-bass never rumbled, never purred the way my M-100 does. It's so sweet.

I love this headphone.

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #8,111 of 23,366
Quote:
The praise just seems to keep on comming. Popular Science writes: V-Moda M-100 Review: The Headphones That Made Me Love Headphones. Sound+Vision: 'seems like a real winner'

This article made me almost tear up at first, but then I jumped in the air and gave myself AND ALL OF YOU GUYS a virtual high-five in the mirror!

"V-MODA is a small company out of Hollywood, California that is perhaps the most diligent audio accessory maker on the planet. They make one new product a year. That's it. They're well known to the biggest audio freaks on the planet, because they don't just comb through audiophile forums looking to figure out what people want--they ask. They crowdsource ideas. Their return rates are very, very low. Every component, every material is chosen after weeks or months of testing, personally, by maybe two guys. Val Kolton, the founder of the company, traveled back and forth to Japan to listen to dozens of potential drivers. They tossed aside plastic in favor of good, honest metal and leather and fabric. The M-100s spent more than three years in development. Not that Sennheiser and Shure and Audio-Technica aren't serious--they just make things in bulk, and none of them have a CEO who can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of various types of air regulation as regards noise isolation. V-MODA's brand of obsession is Apple-level crazy. Good crazy."

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #8,113 of 23,366
This article made me almost tear up at first, but then I jumped in the air and gave myself AND ALL OF YOU GUYS a virtual high-five in the mirror!

"V-MODA is a small company out of Hollywood, California that is perhaps the most diligent audio accessory maker on the planet. They make one new product a year. That's it. They're well known to the biggest audio freaks on the planet, because they don't just comb through audiophile forums looking to figure out what people want--they ask. They crowdsource ideas. Their return rates are very, very low. Every component, every material is chosen after weeks or months of testing, personally, by maybe two guys. Val Kolton, the founder of the company, traveled back and forth to Japan to listen to dozens of potential drivers. They tossed aside plastic in favor of good, honest metal and leather and fabric. The M-100s spent more than three years in development. Not that Sennheiser and Shure and Audio-Technica aren't serious--they just make things in bulk, and none of them have a CEO who can discuss the strengths and weaknesses of various types of air regulation as regards noise isolation. V-MODA's brand of obsession is Apple-level crazy. Good crazy."

Congratulations Val! I'm loving my M-100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back