V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #5,506 of 23,366
Quote:
Haha I actually wouldn't mind having a quality NC can from V-MODA since my daily commute is on the train. That said, it's difficult to find one that has both excellent NC + excellent high-end SQ. it would be a very innovative move if V-MODA came out with a top quality NC can. I can imagine a QC15/PSB killer or at least competitor. One can only dream.

this is poison.

On the gaming topic, I have said before I will say again here is what a gaming headphone needs.
  1. 2 drivers ONLY.
  2. HUGE soundstage
  3. very accurate imaging (most important feature)
  4. a Black background
  5. Analytical sound (aids in picking up details)
  6. not too boosted treble (to avoid loud piercing pains)
  7. completely circumaural and ultracomfortable.
  8. Weak isolation can be a bonus at LANs, but its not particularly a goal.

And most importantly it must look as good as a V-mode but for the love of god not be a rehashed M-100. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #5,507 of 23,366
Quote:
This is a pic of shadow's "shareplayTM" cable that is included. It is the long cable that goes from source to headphone and allows another headphone to be plugged into it if you wish.

SpeakEasy 1-button cable

Shadow
White silver
Matte black
Cable color
Black
Cool grey 8c/11c
Orange 1595C

SharePlay cable

Shadow
White silver
Matte black
Cable color
Black + Red
Cool grey 8c/11c
Black

So I understand the "shareplayTM" cable will be packaged with the M-100s in place of an audio only cable...Does this mean you'll be phasing out your audio only cables altogether (i.e. as an individual web purchase)? If so, major bummer. I can imagine the shareplay's extra, dangly appendage being such a nuisance during non-shared use that I'd hardly ever take it out of the box. On the other hand, there will always be a place for a simple, light, un-over-engineered link to one's music. (I'm still praying for your black audio only cable stock to replenish...Any updates on that?
wink.gif
)

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #5,508 of 23,366
Quote:

1. Weak isolation can be a bonus at LANs, but its not particularly a goal.

I disagree with this, I've seen several pro gamers also a few coming to this forum that wanted as great isolating headphones as possible as the tournaments can be very noisy. You need to hear everything yourself in the game too.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #5,509 of 23,366
Quote:
this is poison.

On the gaming topic, I have said before I will say again here is what a gaming headphone needs.
  1. 2 drivers ONLY.
  2. HUGE soundstage
  1. Analytical sound (aids in picking up details)
  2. not too boosted treble (to avoid loud piercing pains)

And most importantly it must look as good as a V-mode but for the love of god not be a rehashed M-100. 

There is some problem with what you want.  Analytical sound implies some boosted treble.  So Analytical may not be the term you're looking for.  Maybe a sweet, mid-range focused sound with a warmth to it would be better.  This has a focused midrange with a bit of sub-bass (to provide warmth) but detailing in the midrange and vocal regions. 

Furthermore, Analytical phones tend to have a small sound stage. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5,510 of 23,366
Quote:
this is poison.

1. 2 drivers ONLY.
  2. HUGE soundstage
  4. a Black background
  5. Analytical sound (aids in picking up details)
  6. not too boosted treble (to avoid loud piercing pains)
  7. completely circumaural and ultracomfortable.
  8. Weak isolation can be a bonus at LANs, but its not particularly a goal.

If you ask me, a good noise cancelling mic should be on that list.  It sucks to have a mic that picks up your keyboard and everything around you.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #5,511 of 23,366
As a hardcore-turned-casual gamer who rarely plays online, the recent discussion has been interesting/informative.  Personally, I had never put stock in having a premium gaming headset -- even when I played for money.

Quote:
So I understand the "shareplayTM" cable will be packaged with the M-100s in place of an audio only cable...Does this mean you'll be phasing out your audio only cables altogether (i.e. as an individual web purchase)? If so, major bummer. I can imagine the shareplay's extra, dangly appendage being such a nuisance during non-shared use that I'd hardly ever take it out of the box. On the other hand, there will always be a place for a simple, light, un-over-engineered link to one's music. (I'm still praying for your black audio only cable stock to replenish...Any updates on that?
wink.gif
)

While I appreciate the innovation and inclusion of an additional feature, I have to admit that being made privy to the split-design cable prompted me to consider purchasing an additional audio-only cable.  I'm averse to inline mobile device controls and, although it seems that the extra connector can be affixed to the primary cord, I would rather not have something that detracts from pure necessity.  Again, not a knock against what's included, but just stating my OCD-driven agreement with the above.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #5,512 of 23,366
Quote:
As a hardcore-turned-casual gamer who rarely plays online, the recent discussion has been interesting/informative.  Personally, I had never put stock in having a premium gaming headset -- even when I played for money.

While I appreciate the innovation and inclusion of an additional feature, I have to admit that being made privy to the split-design cable prompted me to consider purchasing an additional audio-only cable.  I'm averse to inline mobile device controls and, although it seems that the extra connector can be affixed to the primary cord, I would rather not have something that detracts from pure necessity.  Again, not a knock against what's included, but just stating my OCD-driven agreement with the above.

Can't one just reverse the inputs of the V-Moda smartphone cables to work as an audio-only cable?

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #5,513 of 23,366
Not to derail the mic talk, but just an FYI for anyone who was unclear about this as I was. Just got this confirmed from a V-Moda CS Rep - Apparently it is possible to have brushed steel shields engraved (the ones that come with the M-100 Shadows) !

I always assumed it couldn't be be donesince I couldn't find any pictures of engraved brushed steel shields.

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #5,515 of 23,366
Quote:
Not to derail the mic talk, but just an FYI for anyone who was unclear about this as I was. Just got this confirmed from a V-Moda CS Rep - Apparently it is possible to have brushed steel shields engraved (the ones that come with the M-100 Shadows) !

I always assumed it couldn't be be donesince I couldn't find any pictures of engraved brushed steel shields.

probably cuz it's extremely new. I think it is new to the m-80s as an accessory also, which is the first to sport the brushed look for stock.

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #5,517 of 23,366
I do have some Etys but I prefer headphones overall. Anyway, that explanation is all the more reason I think companies should push harder and come out with something that has great NC as well as SQ. I believe it may take a lot of time yes, and I also believe it's not entirely impossible to have those two things. A lot of testing and engineering would have to be involved. Again, one can only dream right?

Well, the fact that all NC headsets I've seen are closed means that the NC cosine wave may not have to be as strong, but it would take an Eurika to overcome the inherent SQ sacrifice. But dreaming is how impossible challenges are overcome! Oh man, if you guys heard the dream I just had...

Also tinyman,
I don't know where you got "Analytical headphones tend to have a small sound stage." The AD700 and AKG K701 are both considered "Analytical" and also have two of the largest soundstages of any headphone. I think that it's ironic that your statement is exactly the kind of misinformation you bashed BRS for yesterday. Almost as ironic that you don't like the term noob, but you have it in every post as your signature.

WiR3D, I think you have the ideal recipe there. It's "funny" how many gaming headsets don't actually achieve that. I think the choices in "made for gaming" headsets are limited right now, but I feel I'm very well served in gaming with my AKG Q701 and external mic.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #5,518 of 23,366
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

How did you get to where you played for money? If you think this is too off topic, feel free to PM me.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #5,520 of 23,366
Easy you farm gold and gears on Diablo 3 then sell it :p

Lol yup, you wouldn't need good headphones for that. I'd probably mute the game and listen to music. Too bad the game developers have caught on and offer in-game purchases now that do the same service as a dedicated farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back