V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 10, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #4,186 of 23,366
Quote:
compared to the original lp's, is the isolation going to be better on these? Also, are the pads going to be any bigger because my ears barely fit into the lp's and in result i lacked a lot of isolation. One last thing, I have the ATH M50's right now and love the sound, but I also love the look of the V modas a lot more than the m50s, and the durability is much better on these also. 

I brought this up earlier and wasn't really discussed. Many people weren't very satisfied with the isolation the LP/LP2/M-80 have compared to other similar-sized headphones. I'm hoping the M-100 will have better noise isolation, but since it does have the vents on the earcup, I'm thinking it will have a similar noise isolation as the LP/LP2.

As for the stock earpads, I'm pretty sure they're going to be the same size as the LP. Some users brought this up in an earlier discussion because they also agreed that the LP/LP2's earpads were rather small. A friend of mine actually thought the LP was a supra-aural headphone since the earpads sit on top of his ears instead of around.

Usually more noise isolation is desirable for portable headphones since it blocks out unwanted noise, which can also subsequently allow the listener to hear the bass at lower volume levels......
....yeah I don't think I'll try that again: public bus + Sennheiser HD238 + Sansa Clip Zip on nearly max volume + Fiio E7 on max volume, bass level 3. Even at that the bass was hardly audible over the surrounding bus noise and people talking.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #4,188 of 23,366
I find the M-80 to be almost as isolating as the M50, not factoring in any wind noise from the vents. I would hope and imagine that the M-100 would be just as isolating as the M50. And with the more prominent bass it would most likely be more suitable in noisier situations. I'll definitely be doing some comparisons once I get my hands on the M-100.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,191 of 23,366
Quote:
There was past discussion of two sizes of earpads, either shipped with the M-100 or available as an optional accessory.

The pads are replacable, so having a second bigger earpad accessory available for purchase would be great.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4,192 of 23,366
Thank you for the response... but i guess im gonna have to stay with my ATH m50, that i do love but i really would of bought the m100 if those details were fixed.. thanks anyway ):

IIRC, the M-100 will ship with the same earpads as the LP & LP2, but Val said that his labs were looking into an optional, larger earpad thanks to our comments.

The LP I have now rests on the edges of my ears and pins them against my ear, which is apparently supposed to happen and enhance the sound quality, but it does irritate my ears after half an album. I'm worried, though, that if the pads were wide enough not to hold down my ears, my ears would be resting on the driver housing and even more irritated! Maybe the optional pads would be thicker at the part resting behind the ear, which would also angle the drivers correctly?

If you are really serious about noise isolation, IEM headphones can't be beat – even by noise canceling headphones. Meanwhile, I'm glad Val is so involved and considering larger pad alternatives.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #4,194 of 23,366
This earcup thing was worrying me too. I got the M-80s and loved them, except I wanted them over-ear for long journeys. I ended up returning them to wait for the M-100. I really hope these fit over my ears.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #4,197 of 23,366
Quote:

It's funny how the Edition 8 was bashed (in part) for having accentuated bass while the TH900 is praised for it by some of the same members when their described low-end performance seems to be similar. (subjectively... forget about comparing graphs)  Of course, the former is an oft-blindly bashed Ultrasone while the latter is from DIY darling Fostex, so there you go. 
rolleyes.gif

Point being, there are numerous examples of a headphone having heaps of bass without being a muddy, slow, bloated mess.  To my ears, the Ed8 did bass as well as any headphone I've ever heard because it was among the best at only being present when called upon and always distinctly placed within the soundstage..  If the music was bass-heavy it was conveyed satisfyingly.  If it was bass-light, it wouldn't "inject" additional low-end a la some of the more popular Beyers.

Going back a few posts, from what I've read the consensus seems to be that the M-80's bass performance has been well received.  I doubt that this will be a setback for the M-100, but what I've seen mentioned in numerous reviews is that the M-80 is "slightly muffled" due to a lack of treble presence.  Val has already stated that he intends to address this with the M-100 without the addition of any nasty spikes, so this is the most interesting sonic characteristic in my mind and merits further discussion.  Honestly, the recent posts are the first I've read about the M-80's mids being recessed, so it'll also be interesting to read these same members' impressions of the M-100 when it releases.

...it would be lovely if somebody made a headphone with Ed8 bass, ESW-9 mids, and HD600 treble.

Well let's be honest, some people have their own agenda and for whatever reason if said headphone isn't from the company they love they go out of their way to bash it. I'm not going to comment on the Edition8's sound because I've never heard it. I think a lot of people bash the Edition8 because they simply hate the price and the over the top use of expensive materials. Oh by the way so that you know, the user MuppetFace is a big supporter of the TH900. If you check the appreciation thread you'll find a lot of impressions from her on there. She's an avid collector of various headphones and has owned some of the best on the market and some of the best that are no longer on tne market. She's also collected most of the Ultrasones upper end headphones and generally speaking shes liked most of what Ultrasone has offered so I find her impressions and thoughts on the TH900 very interesting and insightful. Unlike others she doesn't have an agenda she just likes good sound and it was her impressions that first made me take notice of the TH900.
Quote:
I haven't perceived the mids of the M-80s to be recessed to my ears. They're smooth and liquid, definitely not forward but not recessed especially in comparison to headphones like the D1100. Now those have some recessed mids. I've found the M-80s to be one of the most balanced headphones out there despite the treble being polite. The tone is very warm in comparison to something like the KNS 8400 so to me, because of the different tonalities and sound signatures in general, they're different flavors and it depends on what your preferences are. I love both the M-80s and the KRKs for different reasons - M-80s for their smooth detailed, and lounge-y sig and the KRKs for their analytical yet musical sig. The KRKs are detail monsters in their own right but when I put on the M-80s I don't find them muffled at all - I find them to be a nice complement and a smooth relief. YMMV but in the end it all depends on what you prefer. Different horses for different courses.
That said, I am highly anticipating the M-100s and what they'll be bringing to the table. The fact that they've been compared to the Ultrasone Sig Pro which is about 3X the price is very indicative of their potential IMO.

Quote:
I wouldn't concider M80 to have recessed mids, it has a slight emphasis there in the graph but I think some user's think it's recessed due to the warm/smoother mids due to being rolled-off starting in the upper-mids to highs. I've seen numerous times when people describe = lack of mids clarity = recessed mids when that's not true, it's not about clarity but about volume, if mids comes out muddy or clear isn't what defines recessed or forward, it's just the sheer volume of what you hear, whether it's clear or not (often V-shape can have clearer sounding midrange but it's just more silent & distant sounding which isn't my cup of tea). I agree with above that extended highs which Val has spoken several times about in M100 probably will probably have the biggest improvement soundwise, "the lack of airiness" in the highs is probably what's M80's biggest disadvantage which affects overall sound, especially midrange. Now how well this improved highs extensions can be percieved with the slight bass bump as well remains to be seen.

Big +1 on those comments and I wouldn't call the M80's muffled either they're quite clear for the type of headphone they are. What people have to remember is the M80 is designed for grooving to your music not dissecting it down to each individual note. People shouldn't get put off when someone describes the highs of a headphones as polite because sometimes it's a good thing. When you spike the highs a lot of times you get very splashy sounding treble and sibilance can go through the roof. The upper mids also get effected and when a singer hits the high notes vocals will sound very unnatural. There's better ways of voicing the highs then spiking them and there's really no need to spike them. Extend those highs as far up as possible and even if the headphones sound signature is bass heavy as long as the bass is controlled the sig will sound quite good and the highs will come out and play. I'd also like to add and make clear I don't know what the M100 will sound like because I have only the same information as everyone else on here but I would be highly surprised if the M100 didn't have smooth fluid mids similar to the M80. I'm guessing that will be the trademark base sound for this headphone line. I highly doubt V-Moda will throw a curve ball at us and give us a headphone with neutral dry sounding mids.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #4,198 of 23,366
I couldn't call the M80 mids recessed either.  Although I can see why someone would say that.  They are balanced, and slightly below the lows and lower-highs to my ears.  They aren't neutral/flat with the lows though.  Hopefully that gives a general idea of where I hear them as a whole.  

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #4,199 of 23,366
Quote:
I couldn't call the M80 mids recessed either.  Although I can see why someone would say that.  They are balanced, and slightly below the lows and lower-highs to my ears.  They aren't neutral/flat with the lows though.  Hopefully that gives a general idea of where I hear them as a whole.  

listen to Sting's "dont stand so close to me", the irony of the song will hit you firmly in the face.

Still i like the m80's but hopefully i will love the m100's moer. :wink:

Aug 11, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #4,200 of 23,366
Quote:
listen to Sting's "dont stand so close to me", the irony of the song will hit you firmly in the face.

Still i like the m80's but hopefully i will love the m100's moer. :wink:

That's the way this song is recorded though, the vocalist sound like having slight distance while the instruments appear more in your face, just checked. Well all songs on the 2001 album seems to be this way. Badly recorded in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back