V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #4,156 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys.. I'm new 

I have found this site quite helpful in my headphone hunt. I have had a pair of beats studios for over 2 years and im ready for something else. 

I am currently weighing my options and I am leaning towards 3 possible decisions. 

1. V-Moda Crossfade M-80 
2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
3. Sennheiser 598 HD

Should I just wait for these M100s to drop or would one of the above 3 be better?

I mostly listen to electro-pop and dubstep

I have all 4 of the headphones you've mentioned. In order of preference: HD 598 > M80 > M50 > Studios but I would still wait for the M100 impressions if it's within your budget. Quite a price difference though...

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #4,158 of 23,366
I'm hoping the M-100's do one thing the m-80's fall short on besides soundstage.

The recessed Mids aka 80khz dip..

I finally got my Fiio e17 dac/amp and love the sound but hate the recessed mids.. They sound like the music is right next to me and all the vocals are 20 feet away.

I do eq foobar to help with the mids. but an eq can only do so much.
wish my ocd on sound would allow me to just enjoy the sounds of the m80s

Fingers crossed for the m100's

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #4,160 of 23,366
Anybody else worried that these are going to be sold out and we're going to have to wait for months to get one? Especially with the "hands-on" quality control.

I'm feeling a bit of Nintendo Wii fever around here...

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4,161 of 23,366
Quote:
Anybody else worried that these are going to be sold out and we're going to have to wait for months to get one? Especially with the "hands-on" quality control.

Unlikely. Hands on stuff is just for the PPU's to make sure that the first batch is good and that they've got a hang of how to make them. After that, the MPU's should be just made, packaged, then shipped or whatever

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #4,162 of 23,366
Quote:

You forgot to add "#firstworldproblems" to your post.

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4,163 of 23,366
Quote:
I'm hoping the M-100's do one thing the m-80's fall short on besides soundstage.

I finally got my Fiio e17 dac/amp and love the sound but hate the recessed mids.. They sound like the music is right next to me and all the vocals are 20 feet away.

I do eq foobar to help with the mids. but an eq can only do so much.
wish my ocd on sound would allow me to just enjoy the sounds of the m80s

Fingers crossed for the m100's

So does the Fiio E17 or the M80 have recessed mids?

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #4,164 of 23,366
Quote:
Anybody else worried that these are going to be sold out and we're going to have to wait for months to get one?

To be more constructive than my previous post, I would personally love to see the M-100 succeed to this extreme.  As previously stated I have no idea if I will enjoy this headphone or not and have no prior first-hand experience with this manufacturer's products.  However, the level of interaction with and commitment to this community shown by Val on behalf of V-MODA is unprecedented.  An overwhelming success here means that the likelihood of other manufacturers following suit is increased. (as we know, at least a handful monitor this forum)  I can't speak for anyone else, but the typical process of a company shilling the performance capabilities of their own product has never enticed me to open my wallet.  I'll always observe respected opinions and general consensus prior to purchasing.  The development and launch of the M-100 is an example of excellent consumer integration.  We've been invited to peer behind the marketing curtain (even being invited behind the scenes to participate at select opportunities) and, because of it, have gained a better understanding of the product's constitution.  We're then able to make a more informed purchasing decision -- and are, of course, more comfortable with dropping some coin. (this will be my first "blind" electronics purchase)

TL;DR: Up with transparency, down with corporate BS. :)

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #4,167 of 23,366
  It's nice to see some serious discussion in this thread. Thanks.

Heheh, liked the TH900 reference. Who wouldn't wish the SQ of a $2K headphone, right? (not that I have heard it)
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Also, bass is not what drives me toward a purchase... I'm mostly looking for spot on accuracy ( if that means the song contains a lot of bass that's fine but I want to hear what the bass is supposed to feel like.. not more than what it is supposed to be ). 

I know exactly what you mean.

I love The Matrix Soundtrack (Various Artists).  I fckin love track #4: Clubbed To Death (Kurayamino Mix) - Rob D

I'm not a basshead.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4,168 of 23,366
Quote:
  It's nice to see some serious discussion in this thread. Thanks.

Heheh, liked the TH900 reference. Who wouldn't wish the SQ of a $2K headphone, right? (not that I have heard it)

Just because a headphone has a high price doesn't mean it has that much worth of sound quality. Ultrasone Pro 900 for example. Bassheads love it. I tried it at a Head-Fi meet on proper equipment, I thought it sounded terrible. The retail price is $600, but I wouldn't pay more than $250 for it to be completely honest. The charts at Innerfidelity are also pretty unimpressive for a $600 MSRP headphone...

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4,169 of 23,366
Quote:
Just because a headphone has a high price doesn't mean it has that much worth of sound quality. Ultrasone Pro 900 for example. Bassheads love it. I tried it at a Head-Fi meet on proper equipment, I thought it sounded terrible. The retail price is $600, but I wouldn't pay more than $250 for it to be completely honest. The charts at Innerfidelity are also pretty unimpressive for a $600 MSRP headphone...

I'm a basshead but I don't like it (well ok the bass is fine but yea mids & highs aren't). 

I think there was a saying going around in this forum which I find extremely accurate in my case:

The casual listener craves lots of bass
The experienced listener craves highs / clarity (V-shape)
The audiophile craves forward mids

xD I've been at the "craving bass" stage and then moved onto V-shape stage and these days the mids are also just as important as bass. I really want as forward / "in-your-face" vocals as possible to go with a boosted bass, the highs should never be emphasized beyond the mids like in PRO900 in my book. I've been at the V-shape stage but I'm past that now and can't enjoy that anymore haha. "Music is in the mids".

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #4,170 of 23,366
Quote:

It makes me happy every time someone points this flaw of the M-80s out. 

The lopsided focus of this thread in terms of SQ has been about the bass. I agree with what the general consensus has been that the M-100s should have more bass than the M-80s, but I've recently realized that most of the SQ discussion has only been about this. It makes me worried about what the "modiophile" signature really means-I always thought that it was supposed to be a fun, somewhat balanced signature. Don't get me wrong, I know it doesn't mean completely balanced, but I have always expected it to mean versatility and broad appeal for more than just bassheads. Basically bringing an audiophile-esque signature in an overall package that is supposed to entice non-audiophiles as well.

I know Val has defended the M-80s mids, and normally makes some comment about hearing damage or something, but I still think the mids/highs can be greatly improved on. I'm not asking for an exaggerated v shape or spiky highs, but vocals just plain and simple aren't the M-80s forte. Everything sounds great until the vocals hit...and they just feel like they're off in the distance. The clarity is also lacking, something that is glaringly (though expected) apparent when I switch between my KNS 8400s and M-80s.

The M-100 stands its best opportunity to shine if it offers bass just shy of basshead cans like Pro 900s or Q40s or the like along with much better mids/highs than the M-80s. Any concerns about the bass were eviscerated long ago. It's time to focus the SQ discussion on mids/highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back