V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #4,141 of 23,366
Quote:
Fair enough. Regardless of how tight the bass is though, nearly all positive reviews rave about the bass, as is the case for basically all basshead cans.

If anything, the M-100's bass will be more like the M-80 than what I perceive the PRO700MK2's to have in terms of quantity.

According to Val earlier, the M100 measured 8dB+ at 100Hz compared to 1kHz and +9dB compared to 2kHz. This is aprox 3dB louder than that of M80 which measures with around 5~6dB boost in bass, it should be slightly closer to M80 than PRO700MK2, well quite in-between, similar to Q40 probably which has a good amount of bass, not too much and not too little for a basshead's perspective to impact on mids/highs too much. From my experience 9dB or so is the optimal bass quantity vs quality ratio goes at, well ok Fostex TH900 also measures around 9~10dB bass boost and it also manages to keep the bass more than nicely controlled but it's a lot expensier and probably has quite a lot of "R&D" behind it too as there's extremely low THD noise in the bass (=clean).

At least I'm happy if also these units which we will be able to buy soon has a 8~9dB or so boost in bass, that's exactly what I'm looking for when paired with a digizoid ZO amp. :p Ampless 8~9dB wouldn't still quite satisfy my bassy needs but paired with digiZoid amp this is a perfect starting point and the amp further enhances the bass quality too besides strengthen it which I wouldn't be able to get out of a too bassy headphone such as PRO700MK2 as it's too bassy to begin with.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #4,142 of 23,366
Quote:

According to Val earlier, the M100 measured 8dB+ at 100Hz compared to 1kHz and +9dB compared to 2kHz. This is aprox 3dB louder than that of M80 which measures with around 5~6dB boost in bass, it should be slightly closer to M80 than PRO700MK2, well quite in-between, similar to Q40 probably which has a good amount of bass, not too much and not too little for a basshead's perspective to impact on mids/highs too much. From my experience 9dB or so is the optimal bass quantity vs quality ratio goes at, well ok Fostex TH900 also measures around 9~10dB bass boost and it also manages to keep the bass more than nicely controlled but it's a lot expensier and probably has quite a lot of "R&D" behind it too as there's extremely low THD noise in the bass (=clean).

At least I'm happy if also these units which we will be able to buy soon has a 8~9dB or so boost in bass, that's exactly what I'm looking for when paired with a digizoid ZO amp. :p Ampless 8~9dB wouldn't still quite satisfy my bassy needs but paired with digiZoid amp this is a perfect starting point and the amp further enhances the bass quality too besides strengthen it which I wouldn't be able to get out of a too bassy headphone such as PRO700MK2 as it's too bassy to begin with.

That's quite an elevated bass response (graph from Innerfidelity):

At 100 Hz, the LP looks to have about a +5-6dB boost relative to 1 kHz (graph from Innerfidelity):

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am, but I thought the goal of the M-series was to create a more audiophile sound signature. Raising the bass levels of an already fairly bassy headphone, and here is where I'm probably wrong, seems to be the opposite. I was hoping the M-100 would be flatter on the charts, like the Shure SRH840 as an example, but it turns out the graph is becoming more V shaped from my observations.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #4,143 of 23,366
Funny how I have no idea what every one is talking about at the moment 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #4,144 of 23,366
Quote:

It's a shame that the actual comfort design of the headphones is so poor. What were they thinking when they put the golf ball-esque bump over the driver?

Without modding (stock pads + cotton, or M50 / Beyer pads), they are nearly unwearable with the thin pads, strong clamp, and the driver cover.

Agreed, however with a $20 investment in M50 pads, the comfort is night and day.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #4,145 of 23,366
Quote:
That's quite an elevated bass response (graph from Innerfidelity):

At 100 Hz, the LP looks to have about a +5-6dB boost relative to 1 kHz (graph from Innerfidelity):

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am, but I thought the goal of the M-series was to create a more audiophile sound signature. Raising the bass levels of an already fairly bassy headphone, and here is where I'm probably wrong, seems to be the opposite. I was hoping the M-100 would be flatter on the charts, like the Shure SRH840 as an example, but it turns out the graph is becoming more V shaped from my observations.

I don't believe the modophile concept was ever designed to be close to flat; to me it seems like it is designed to be a happy medium between a "fun" headphone for modern music and a headphone with high enough SQ and no extreme EQ so that it is not too colored for other genres.  The "fun" part requires impactful bass, particularly if the M-100 is used on the go in noisy environments or for DJs.  Steve Guttenberg was saying in a recent article that he loves the Velodyne VPulse as an on-the-go in-ear, but wouldn't use them in the quiet of his home due to the heavy bass.  I would like to think Val's goal for the M-100 is to be the best of both worlds in one headphone.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #4,146 of 23,366
I would think the amount of bass that a portapro has compared to the rest of the frequency is pretty good. If not for that drop off anyway.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #4,147 of 23,366
Quote:
I don't believe the modophile concept was ever designed to be close to flat; to me it seems like it is designed to be a happy medium between a "fun" headphone for modern music and a headphone with high enough SQ and no extreme EQ so that it is not too colored for other genres.  The "fun" part requires impactful bass, particularly if the M-100 is used on the go in noisy environments or for DJs.  Steve Guttenberg was saying in a recent article that he loves the Velodyne VPulse as an on-the-go in-ear, but wouldn't use them in the quiet of his home due to the heavy bass.  I would like to think Val's goal for the M-100 is to be the best of both worlds in one headphone.

I see. I guess that's acceptable then. Maybe I took V-MODA's words of the M-80 too seriously...

Quote:
To recreate a pure balanced sound analogous to vinyl

Quote:
balanced, precision bass, vivid mids, crystal clear highs

^as most people would want their products to be advertised as

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,148 of 23,366
Hey guys.. I'm new 

I have found this site quite helpful in my headphone hunt. I have had a pair of beats studios for over 2 years and im ready for something else. 

I am currently weighing my options and I am leaning towards 3 possible decisions. 

1. V-Moda Crossfade M-80 
2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
3. Sennheiser 598 HD

Should I just wait for these M100s to drop or would one of the above 3 be better?

I mostly listen to electro-pop and dubstep

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4,149 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys.. I'm new 

I have found this site quite helpful in my headphone hunt. I have had a pair of beats studios for over 2 years and im ready for something else. 

I am currently weighing my options and I am leaning towards 3 possible decisions. 

1. V-Moda Crossfade M-80 
3. Sennheiser 598 HD

Should I just wait for these M100s to drop or would one of the above 3 be better?

obviously wait for this to drop. It's gonna drop around a week from now, more or less. And as they say, start out high so you can go higher haha.

oh and welcome to head-fi. sorry about your wallet
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,150 of 23,366
Thank you!!!

Also, bass is not what drives me toward a purchase... I'm mostly looking for spot on accuracy ( if that means the song contains a lot of bass that's fine but I want to hear what the bass is supposed to feel like.. not more than what it is supposed to be ). 

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4,151 of 23,366
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Also, bass is not what drives me toward a purchase... I'm mostly looking for spot on accuracy ( if that means the song contains a lot of bass that's fine but I want to hear what the bass is supposed to feel like.. not more than what it is supposed to be ). 

Well, to "feel" bass, you're gonna have to get yourself a Digizoid Z02 with some notable bass cans or something along those lines. Spot on accuracy headphones really aren't meant to make you "feel" bass. Just make you hear what they're supossed to be.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4,152 of 23,366
Quote:
Thank you!!!

The HD598 and M50 are pretty accurate for the price you pay (M50 is a bit bassy with a slightly recessed midrange). The HD598 is an open-back so it will sound a bit more natural-sounding than the other closed-back headphones due to the larger soundstage/better instrument separation.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #4,153 of 23,366
Quote:
Hey guys.. I'm new 

1. V-Moda Crossfade M-80 
3. Sennheiser 598 HD

I would recommend waiting for the M-100.  Based on your musical taste, I would highly recommend the ATH-PRO700MK2 over the ATH-M50 if your budget doesn't allow for the M-100.  If you are open to pushing your budget, you may also want to consider the Denon AH-D400.  I don't know that the HD598 would provide the bass you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back