V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Aug 9, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #4,126 of 23,366
Quote:
Based on headphones I have heard, I envision the M-100 to provide the bass of an ATH-PRO700MK2 with the mids and highs of a PSB M4U2 (unamped).  If they turn out this way, or something similar, I will be raving about them everywhere.

I've never heard them, but I thought that the PRO700MK2 was a consensus "basshead" 'phone.  Wouldn't that put the LP more in league with it in terms of low-end performance?

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #4,127 of 23,366
Quote:

I've never heard them, but I thought that the PRO700MK2 was a consensus "basshead" 'phone.  Wouldn't that put the LP more in league with it in terms of low-end performance?

I consider the bass on the PRO700MK2 to be deep and impactful without bleeding into the mids and highs.  For the most part, the bass is there when called for in the music.  The mids and highs with this headphone are okay, not spectacular, which is why I reference the PSB M4U2 for mids and highs since I think they are excellent- neutral, extended and detailed.  I also referenced a comparison to a Fostex TH900 which is considered one of the finest headphones in the world and also has accentuated bass along the lines of a 10dB boost which is just North of the expected bass EQ for the M-100.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #4,128 of 23,366
Quote:
I consider the bass on the PRO700MK2 to be deep and impactful without bleeding into the mids and highs.  For the most part, the bass is there when called for in the music.  The mids and highs with this headphone are okay, not spectacular, which is why I reference the PSB M4U2 for mids and highs since I think they are excellent- neutral and detailed.  I also referenced a comparison to a Fostex TH900 which is considered one of the finest headphones in the world and also has accentuated bass along the lines of a 10dB boost.

Fair enough.  And I agree with you about the M4U 2.  A very pleasant signature all around and sufficient (not wowing, however) in terms of detail retrieval.

I've never heard the TH900 either but have little desire to.  I've gone down the ultra-premium road before and found that it has its advantages, but diminishing returns sets in very quickly and "downgrading" hasn't caused me to enjoy my music any less or hurt my ability to analyze content.  It wasn't long ago that the Sennheiser HD600/50 was considered the pinnacle of widely available consumer headphones.  Now, nearly every major manufacturer and even some smaller ones have at least one offering priced above $1000.  Pricing has become quite ridiculous, but I find that $300-$500 for headphones (not including complementary equipment) is still the sweet spot in terms of performance.

Back on track, purely superficial but I'd love to see an option for wood shields in the future!  Perhaps an industrious Head-Fier would be willing to take on the challenge...?

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #4,129 of 23,366
Quote:

Fair enough.  And I agree with you about the M4U 2.  A very pleasant signature all around and sufficient (not wowing, however) in terms of detail retrieval.

I've never heard the TH900 either but have little desire to.  I've gone down the ultra-premium road before and found that it has its advantages, but diminishing returns sets in very quickly and "downgrading" hasn't caused me to enjoy my music any less or hurt my ability to analyze content.  It wasn't long ago that the Sennheiser HD600/50 was considered the pinnacle of widely available consumer headphones.  Now, nearly every major manufacturer and even some smaller ones have at least one offering priced above $1000.  Pricing has become quite ridiculous, but I find that $300-$500 for headphones (not including complementary equipment) is still the sweet spot in terms of performance.

Back on track, purely superficial but I'd love to see an option for wood shields in the future!  Perhaps an industrious Head-Fier would be willing to take on the challenge...?

I am in agreement about pricing.  One example is the Ultrasone Signature PRO.  The sound is incredible, but I can't justify their cost.  I also completely agree about the wood shields and even posted about them several months ago requesting they be added.  Unfortunately, I am not handy or skilled enough to make them myself.  Maybe this is one of Val's surprises at launch?  I am leaning toward white M-100s and dark woodgrain shields would complement them nicely.

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #4,131 of 23,366
Quote:
i'm kinda hoping it will beat out the dt1350 by a large margin in terms of sound stage and tie or top it in terms of sq. 

A tie in terms of sq would be already awesome.. the dt1350 after all is fckin hard to beat. just the comfort and soundstage make me part with it.
the portable over-ear design of the m100 is a buying argument for me, if the sq is allright.
the m100 will sound different for sure. unlike beyer, v-moda dislikes emphasizing the treble.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #4,132 of 23,366
  Help please?

So that I am sure to correctly order the color/finish scheme for which I think/believe I am ordering...,(That is when the M-100's are available for order be they PPU's or regular production...)

Would someone please provide the "official" description/"name" for the color/finish of the V-MODA M-100's that come in all black, with the matte finish,...the least obtrusive, most understated scheme?

Thank you,

Sincerely,
T.A.Kogstrom  

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #4,134 of 23,366
Quote:
  Help please?

So that I am sure to correctly order the color/finish scheme for which I think/believe I am ordering...,(That is when the M-100's are available for order be they PPU's or regular production...)

Would someone please provide the "official" description/"name" for the color/finish of the V-MODA M-100's that come in all black, with the matte finish,...the least obtrusive, most understated scheme?

Thank you,

Sincerely,
T.A.Kogstrom  

You pretty much have it down correctly. Matte Black. Haha don't worry so much alright?

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #4,137 of 23,366
Quote:

Yeah everything I read about the ATH-PRO700MK2 is in favor of bassheads...

Some quotes from the reviews on their website:
Quote:
Do not let the words on the sides of the cup fool you, these are in no way monitoring headphones. You will not get an entirely accurate representation of the music.
What you will get is a experience of the highest quality and most bass impact you have ever experienced.

Quote:
To make this simple...these headphones have great highs,great mids and insane bass(in a good way). If you want a pair of cans that sound crisp and hit low with deep punchy face slapping bass! These are for you! I have to admit these cans are serious fun.

Quote:
I'm a BassHead and a Gamer and I can affirm that this is an absolute wise step forward,

Review by Head-Fi's own yosister said:
Quote:
The sound is tremendously bass heavy, and its only real highlight is good panning and mids and highs that are decent, if overwhelmed by the bass.

Head-Fi's crinacle also says:
Quote:
Though it's clarity and tightness does not surpass the acclaimed HFI-580, sub-bass is project even better than the M50, which makes the Pro700 sound almost like a pair of mini-subwoofers (no, nothing like the cheapskate Skullcrushers). There is impact, and a lot of it too, which makes the Pro700's bass feel almost like a blend of tightness and boominess at the same time.

^and I thought the M50 had quite a bit of bass

azurelogic stated:
Quote:
On a flat EQ from my laptop or iPhone, there's still bass for days. With the M50 pads, you can even feel the shake against your skull. If you don't love bass, don't bother with these.

Amazon.com reviews also say things of the like:
Quote:
The bass. Man. Bowel-hitting

Quote:
if you want a more balanced headphone with flatter response and better defined mids and highs with less bass, buy the atm50s. a great headphone, but in the terms of awesomeness and bass, they don't come close to the pro700mk2s. period.

It seems to me that the ATH-PRO700MK2's bass is highly in favor towards the the type of bass the LP/LP2 has, which I found to be messy in terms of clouding the overall sound clarity of the mids and highs.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #4,138 of 23,366
Quote:
Yeah everything I read about the ATH-PRO700MK2 is in favor of bassheads...

Some quotes from the reviews on their website:

Review by Head-Fi's own yosister said:

Head-Fi's crinacle also says:
^and I thought the M50 had quite a bit of bass

azurelogic stated:

It seems to me that the ATH-PRO700MK2's bass is much in favor the the type of bass the LP/LP2 has, which I found to be messy in terms of clouding the overall sound clarity of the mids and highs.

I find their clarity superior to most "basshead" headphones.  Also, the bass is tight and punchy as opposed to one-note muddy bass I have heard with other "basshead" headphones (sorry Sony).  The primary shortcoming of these is high end extension which can be mostly compensated for in EQ.  It's not that they aren't capable, they simply need some adjustment to obtain the right sound.  These are also non-fatiguing compared to Ultrasones and, to a lesser degree, the M-Audio Q40.  I have been enjoying these recently with, admittedly, more bass heavy music.  However, the bass means little to me if the rest of the range doesn't sound good.  I am still looking for a headphone to enjoy vocals, easy listening, 70's, etc. and am hoping the M-100 nails the mids and highs for vocals.  V-Moda is on the right track with the M-80 which is a big part of the reason why there is so much anticipation for the M-100.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #4,139 of 23,366
Quote:
I find their clarity superior to most "basshead" headphones.  Also, the bass is tight and punchy as opposed to one-note muddy bass I have heard with other "basshead" headphones (sorry Sony).  The primary shortcoming of these is high end extension which can be mostly compensated for in EQ.  It's not that they aren't capable, they simply need some adjustment to obtain the right sound.  These are also non-fatiguing compared to Ultrasones and, to a lesser degree, the M-Audio Q40.  I have been enjoying these recently with, admittedly, more bass heavy music.  However, the bass means little to me if the rest of the range doesn't sound good.  I am still looking for a headphone to enjoy vocals, easy listening, 70's, etc. and am hoping the M-100 nails the mids and highs for vocals.  V-Moda is on the right track with the M-80 which is a big part of the reason why there is so much anticipation for the M-100.

Fair enough. Regardless of how tight the bass is though, nearly all positive reviews rave about the bass, as is the case for basically all basshead cans.

If anything, the M-100's bass will be more like the M-80 than what I perceive the PRO700MK2's to have in terms of quantity.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #4,140 of 23,366
Quote:

It's a shame that the actual comfort design of the headphones is so poor. What were they thinking when they put the golf ball-esque bump over the driver?

Without modding (stock pads + cotton, or M50 / Beyer pads), they are nearly unwearable with the thin pads, strong clamp, and the driver cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back